vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard diverdown123! Take a look at Forum: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to SHIPWRECKS for more exposure.

tn_metal_detector.gif
3rd - A quick search brought up 11 hits!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1750 piece of eight minted in Mexico City. Usually packed three thousand to a chest. El Salvador had sixteen chests on board when she wrecked on Cape Lookout.

1750-Piece-of-Eight.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Many have spent quite a bit looking for this wreck. Because I live in NC, I have a great deal of research on her. Sand is too deep. And there are some who think she might even be under the beach, some think further out. The NC coast undergoes a great deal of flux with the Labrador Current and Gulf Stream meeting just north of this spot.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG Found 10" down on OBX beach 2 years ago. Might be nothing.Might be old copper sheathing from a 18 century wooden ships hull.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We blew a 100 foot wide hole and 35 feet deep with the Ocean Star on the El Salvador wreck site several years ago to bring up some wood off the deck of the snow schooner 197150_136562863078702_7927068_n.jpg 198974_136561009745554_7005372_n.jpg to identify it as from the 1750 period.Jim Sinclair brought the wood up and did the ident on it and determined that the wood was from the new england area of america and was transported to europe to be used in building the snow as over in europe back then they had used up all their forests building ships and had to get wood from here.The El Salvador ballast is at least 50 feet down in the sand.I guess NC banned prop wash to excavate wrecks up there this was after we blew giant holes.We had to blow our way in to the site and blow our way out.November is the only month out of the year that site can be worked.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
That does not make any sense. Why transport the wood all over to Europe, when you could built it on your side?

Starting late 18th and early 19th century, what happens is that every european shipowner from the South of Europe and England is going to New York and Boston to by American built ships...

Jim Sinclair brought the wood up and did the ident on it and determined that the wood was from the new england area of america and was transported to europe to be used in building the snow as over in europe back then they had used up all their forests building ships and had to get wood from here.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim Sinclair brought the wood up and did the ident on it and determined that the wood was from the new england area of america and was transported to europe to be used in building the snow as over in europe back then they had used up all their forests building ships and had to get wood from here.

Only Sinclair would make such a claim...jeez...

then reality sinks in.

Yes, wood from America was sent back to Europe, in the form of ships....

Last edited:

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Interesting, have you better image of both sides, also could you point out any features that you can identify, such as any pitch or horse hair, nails, nail holes or Burrs (washers).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread