🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Emerald is beryl. Most green beryl is inert to UV light. If it's of very fine color, you may get some that will fluoresce weakly orangey red to red under LW UV.
Aquamarine is always inert. Yellow and red are always inert.
Jim

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ivan I don't know who told you that, but emeralds do not fluoresce.

But if they did it would be a great way to find them.

In Arizona people use blacklights at night to find scorpions in their yard and kill them. Nobody knows why, but scorpions fluoresce.

Scorpions_Flouresce.jpg

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In order to "detect" emeralds, you have to exploit the difference in properties. The trouble is that the composition of emeralds is a cyclosilicate, and is very similar to other silicates, otherwise known as beach sand.

Spectroscopy may do it, but I don't know if it could be a practical way to apply it on a beach.

The best, obviously, since they are heavier, would be some sort of ground (wet sand) penetrating system.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if emeralds don't fluoresce, it's still a good idea to carry a black light when treasure hunting long distance. It's a good way to check the level of bodily fluids on the walls, floor furniture and bed spreads of your hotel room...

Hopefully you realize there are a huge number of items other than body fluids that will fluoresce. Your own clothing detergent will most likely glow, and if they arent rinsed well in the wash, theyll have glowing spots right now.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon guys....blacklight have been used in more ways than one for treasure hunting. Working in the estate sale business we would go through the house with black lights at the end of a clean out. If any wall has been altered or plastered the blacklight will see it. Here in south florida when cleaning out a convicted drug lords home....well...you do things like that. Rubies fluoresce in the black light along with other gemstones too....just not emeralds.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
some do, some don't. Partly depends on the the UV light you're using. Many gems require shortwave UV....the dangerous type. That includes rubies. LED UV lights don't provide it.
Jim

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
C'mon guys....blacklight have been used in more ways than one for treasure hunting. Working in the estate sale business we would go through the house with black lights at the end of a clean out. If any wall has been altered or plastered the blacklight will see it. Here in south florida when cleaning out a convicted drug lords home....well...you do things like that. Rubies fluoresce in the black light along with other gemstones too....just not emeralds.

I apologise in advance but when you mentioned going through the rooms with a black light I couldn't help but remember an episode of Two and a Half Men when they went through Charlies bedroom with a blacklight

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I apologise in advance but when you mentioned going through the rooms with a black light I couldn't help but remember an episode of Two and a Half Men when they went through Charlies bedroom with a blacklight

Ah, yes. That was the night when the Two and a Half Men writers wrote a CSI episode, and the CSI writers wrote that particular Two and a Half Men episode. Funny stuff...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread