Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from Archaeology Magazine, published today:

KAZAN, RUSSIA–Samara Polytech announced the discovery of a boat dated to the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century in the Volga River in southwestern Russia. A survey conducted with underwater ultrasound scanners revealed the wreckage measures more than 160 feet long and 65 feet wide. Under 30 feet of water, much of the ship is covered in silt, but the ultrasound images revealed its timbers, a large chain, and ropes. Team leader Ekaterina Semenova said such a large ship may have been built in Asia, Scandinavia, or Western Europe, although there were also Slavic settlements along the Volga at the time. It is not clear if the vessel was used for trade or military purposes. In addition, a corroded metal nail recovered from the shipwreck was examined using X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy at Samara Polytech and atomic emission spectroscopy at Samara University, and found to consist of nearly pure iron, which is consistent with a medieval date for the vessel.

Original story, Nov 8th, with video: phys.org/wire-news

Google Earth: Vinnovka, Samara Oblast, Russia

Attachments

• Vinnovka.jpg
    Vinnovka.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 76

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
That dating sounds a lot like wishful thinking... that chain is definitely not medieval.

Last edited:

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regardless, I would love to see pictures of the wreck and see what might still be aboard.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hold on...a medieval ship 160 FEET LONG and 65 FEET WIDE????

The image shows a round "bolt" at least 18 inches long. That length is suspect as a fastener from the 1500's, and round certainly was not used in ship construction of the day.

y329BUR.jpg TrGvHdp.jpg

This is a nut/bolt fastener in my opinion...there is no way a forged fastener of that timeframe would be that long, round, and have that thickness of "head" on it.

Coupled with the anchor chain, I dont think this is a medieval wreck...

Carbon dating cannot take into account recycling.

One also notes the lack of decay and decomposition of wood timbers, (and fasteners) in fresh water at only 10m?

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post thats freakin cool

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it was me finding it though lol

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in the sea, I see 100lbs of Steel turn to black crust and dust in a couple years.

Their would have to be a huge electrical annode (Zinc, aluminum, tin) nearby to let that piece of iron stay intact.

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in the sea, I see 100lbs of Steel turn to black crust and dust in a couple years.

Their would have to be a huge electrical annode (Zinc, aluminum, tin) nearby to let that piece of iron stay intact.

Freshwater is different; much less conductive.

As far as the date, it is from Archaeology Magazine. They will not respond to me, but could to Alexandre.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread