1st Annual Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: 1st Annual Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    297 times
    No one credible considers him an archaeologist. As he liked to say, he was in fact a wreckologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor6 View Post
    Alexandre, the late Robert Marx knows more about historic shipwrecks than you will ever know and is considered an archaeologist even thou he does not have a degree.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin, N.C. Fl....wherever the wrecks take me
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    880 times
    Shipwrecks
    I am quite frankly...a little amazed, more than a little appalled, and downright dissappointed....in the constant process you engage in on an ongoing basis. You belittle, besmirch, denigrate, and degrade anyone who, it seems, does not meet YOUR definition or sense of reality, whatever that may or may not be, in an attempt to cast all and everyone involved in the reclamation or preservation of marine historical resources as looters, grave robbers and thieves...

Why, I ask...if you are SO adament, that what the people of this board do, is unethical, illegal and morally reprehensable...do you sully yourself, your "profession", and your peers by even moving within those same circles? You seldom seem to add anything of substance to the various conversations, constantly attack people both professionally and personally, and do all that you can to cast a distasteful light on all and everything "Non- Alexandre"... it is beyond apparent to me that you are compensating for something you lack on a professional, or personal level, and simply cannot recognize anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

I would be very curious...what your "accrediting" agency's, as well as your "peers" would think of your never ending attacks on people and organizations, and how it reflects upon them in a professional, as well as personal light.
    Blak bart, diverlynn and ropesfish like this.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    159 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

1st Annual Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium

I think at heart Alexandre is a closet Treasure Hunter as most underwater archaeologist are.

They just have a different set of investors behind them to pander too.

They get exactly the same feeling of excitement and thrill when they find something interesting as we do, the only difference maybe what happens next. They will keep it in their collections and Treasure Hunters either keep it in our collections or sell it to someone who wants it for their collection.

In most cases it will be recorded and photographed and if it’s of significant importance will be published.

Hunting like collecting is a genetic gene that is in many humans, and it manifests itself in many different ways through the generations.

One day this Archaeologist V Treasure Hunter nonsense will be over as the public will have there say.

Unfortunately Underwater Archaeology is dying on its feet as less and less funding is going their way, and until they accept a new model of working with the private sector and Avocational better, important sites will be left for nature and human interference by anchors, looting and fishing etc, to destroy. I
    Last edited by VOC; Jan 15, 2020 at 06:05 AM.
    AARC, Blak bart, Mackaydon and 2 others like this.

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    26920 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by agflit View Post
    I am quite frankly...a little amazed, more than a little appalled, and downright dissappointed....in the constant process you engage in on an ongoing basis. You belittle, besmirch, denigrate, and degrade anyone who, it seems, does not meet YOUR definition or sense of reality, whatever that may or may not be, in an attempt to cast all and everyone involved in the reclamation or preservation of marine historical resources as looters, grave robbers and thieves...

Why, I ask...if you are SO adament, that what the people of this board do, is unethical, illegal and morally reprehensable...do you sully yourself, your "profession", and your peers by even moving within those same circles? You seldom seem to add anything of substance to the various conversations, constantly attack people both professionally and personally, and do all that you can to cast a distasteful light on all and everything "Non- Alexandre"... it is beyond apparent to me that you are compensating for something you lack on a professional, or personal level, and simply cannot recognize anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

I would be very curious...what your "accrediting" agency's, as well as your "peers" would think of your never ending attacks on people and organizations, and how it reflects upon them in a professional, as well as personal light.
    I dont think his peers or accrediting agency would give a rat's arse about any attacks on treasure hunters or any other people involved in underwater recovery of artifacts.....in fact they may well applaud him for that. But I'm almost certain that they would not like all the sharing of documents, charts and other info with the people they consider looters and robbers. I would assume that his esteemed peers would consider it a treasonous act to collude and trade info of an archeological nature with the sworn enemy...TREASURE HUNTERS !! And not to mention an active member of a treasure hunters forum !! Kind of like seeing the pasture of the church at the local bar !!
    AARC and ropesfish like this.

us
    Jul 2010
    NC, FL
    Fisher CZ20, Garrett
    43 times
    I find most of Alexandre's posts enjoyable. He has posted trips, maps, etc that I really find interesting. Between those posts though, I know that he will attempt to be authoritative, but come off sounding like a smart-alek, or an aloof jerk. Personally I'm OK with that trade off though.

What I'm NOT OK with is that the OP Ropesfish is trying to put together a fantastic event this Spring for our group and Alex wants to belittle the presenters in the same thread. That is beyond rude and is totally unacceptable. His posts in this thread should be removed IMO.
    AARC, agflit, diverlynn and 2 others like this.

May 2014
    214 times
    One of the things I am worried about is this 1st Annual Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium becoming top heavy with Archaeologists and getting brain washed with UCH. Also I hope that ALL speakers will have to pay tuition regardless of who they are or what paper they wish to present. I go to conventions regarding underwater subjects and find TOO many institutionalized speakers just on an all expense paid speaking junket. I want to hear and speak to people who have dirt under their fingernails, not desk jockeys!! Heres hoping. I attended both the 1984 and 1985 Greater Fort Lauderdale Shipwreck Symposium. I also attend UI in New Orleans.
    ropesfish likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1734 times
    Shipwrecks
    I just escaped 3 days in hospital, so I am a little behind. I'm going to need to get put together a team/committee to make sure everything gets done now, but this WILL happen. Just some cardiac A fib that was handled by meds, but I have to unload 100 lbs of fast food that I have been carrying around and maybe some of the workload.
    OK...with that said, we do not need to get derailed by the other team. There will always be that dog behind the fence barking from the safety of his own yard. The key is to keep going where you're going.. Anyone can bark, not everyone is going somewhere.
    Something I am trying to do is to adopt and promote a different way of looking at the shipwreck salvage archaeology business. We need to project a different image out there to the public, one that is more accurate than the swashbuckling pirate image from the Argosy stories of the 1950s. That does not play well these days and while we may be some swashbuckling SOBs in private, we need to represent a more accurate image...some people looking for shipwreck history.
    It's really not just about gold and silver...it's the whole thing..it is a combination of the planning, the hunt for funding, the camaraderie with your partners/crew, the satisfaction of completing a long series of difficult tasks, the thrill of discovery, the history and the adventure. Few of us believe that we will become suddenly rich from salvaging wrecks...but there's always that chance...

There should be no fear as to getting too many members of the Academic Archaeology Club on the program...they were not asked to present, but they are certainly welcome to attend, as is anyone with the desire to come and the ability to buy tickets.
    Tentatively it looks more like this - - and THIS IS NOT FINAL, just my plan...
    Saturday
    Dr. Lee Spence
    Alex Mirabal
    lunch
    Robert Westrick
    Burt Webber (been invited, wants to come, we shall see)
    Jim Sinclair -depends on his work schedule

Saturday night program 7-10 PM
    Something that businesses do frequently is a SWOT analysis. SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats,
    If we intend to protect ourselves and be able to hand down our industry to future generations, we need to understand our Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats,
    Strengths
    Weaknesses
    Opportunities
    Threats
    I am looking at an hour with one or two presenters and then the remaining time with a round table discussion with (again...this is NOT FINAL
    Taffi Fisher Abt
    John Brandon
    Dan Porter
    Burt Webber (if he is able to attend)
    Lee Spence
    One of the topics:
    How do we fight back against over regulation and government overreach and encroachment?

I am going to ask Taffi to help me with this program today...I know she is interested in the subject. If she has time to be there, she'll enjoy it.

OK...Sunday AM - Survey and Salvage technology ---working on sonar, mag and detector companies to present this 3 hrs

Sunday PM: Survey and salvage techniques 40-60 minute presentations, 3 or 4 speakers
    Terry Armstrong will present on mapping techniques and his DigTrakR and DigFindR software products
    I am pretty sure of:
    Mike Perna will present on magnetometer survey
    Jason Nowell...mag and sidescan survey
    and a couple more to to be announced as I finalize the program...

Suggestions always welcome!
    Last edited by ropesfish; Jan 18, 2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage/Caribbean Treasure Salvors
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet "C-31"
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

https://www.facebook.com/searchandsalvage.net/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467407956647367/

us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    1384 times
    Shipwrecks
    Bill, that looks like a GREAT lineup! I'm confident it will be a very worthwhile time.
    ropesfish likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1734 times
    Shipwrecks
    Another excellent speaker on the marquee!
    This is going to be a great weekend.
    Herman Moro of MARINE ARCHAEOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, LLC and SubAmerica Discoveries, Inc.has graciously agreed to be on the Saturday afternoon agenda!
    AARC likes this.
    Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

“You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1818 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by ropesfish View Post
    Another excellent speaker on the marquee!
    This is going to be a great weekend.
    Herman Moro of MARINE ARCHAEOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, LLC and SubAmerica Discoveries, Inc.has graciously agreed to be on the Saturday afternoon agenda!
    WOW!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin, N.C. Fl....wherever the wrecks take me
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    880 times
    Shipwrecks
    Well done Bill!!

us
    Stickmarsh Jedi Master

Mar 2014
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Tesoro Sand Shark...... Atomic SV2 snorkel...... Scubapro Jet Fins................... Mares Puck dive computer....... Sherwood Silhouette BCD....... Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
    1355 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHiker View Post
    I find most of Alexandre's posts enjoyable. He has posted trips, maps, etc that I really find interesting. Between those posts though, I know that he will attempt to be authoritative, but come off sounding like a smart-alek, or an aloof jerk. Personally I'm OK with that trade off though.
    What I'm NOT OK with is that the OP Ropesfish is trying to put together a fantastic event this Spring for our group and Alex wants to belittle the presenters in the same thread. That is beyond rude and is totally unacceptable. His posts in this thread should be removed IMO.
    My thoughts exactly. I wish Alexandre would stop being a butthead, because once in awhile he does contribute some good info.

Quote Originally Posted by ropesfish View Post
    I just escaped 3 days in hospital
    Hope you're feeling better Capn Bill.
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1734 times
    Shipwrecks
    Another fantastic speaker has agreed to take a place at the podium for the Shipwreck Salvage Symposium!

Herman Moro of Marine Archaeology International and SubAmerica Discoveries, Inc will be presenting on Saturday, March 14.
    Herman is probably best known for the discovery of the 1654 Capitana off Chanduy, Ecuador, but has spend much time on the 1605 Fleet and the San Jose projects. He is a tremendous archival researcher and has become well versed in Colombian law.

His presentation will be most interesting.
    Please make plans to attend.

AARC likes this.
    Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Charter Member
    us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1734 times
    Shipwrecks
    The Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium is pleased and proud to announce that Dr. E Lee Spence has agreed to speak at the Symposium, to be held on March 14 and 15, 2020 at The Lagoon House in Palm Bay, Florida.
    Please consider attending this landmark event.

Dr E. Lee Spence
    Bio:
    At age 12 (in 1960) Lee Spence found his first shipwrecks and went on to become one of the pioneers of the new field of underwater archaeology. He is widely considered the world's foremost authority on shipwrecks and sunken treasure.

Spence is the author/editor of more than two dozen non-fiction reference books on shipwrecks and has served as an editor for each of the following publications: Diving World, Atlantic Coastal Diver, Treasure, Treasure Diver, Treasure Quest, ShipWrecks, Wreck Diver and written articles for such magazines as Skin Diver and Argosy. Most of his books have literally thousands of reference notes and his work is characterized by the depth and scope of the facts gleaned from contemporary sources. His books and discoveries have been cited in government publications, professional journals, encyclopedias and reference books. Look him up on Wikipedia or find him on Facebook.
    His most famous discovery was the wreck of the "Hunley." The "Hunley" was the first submarine in the entire history of the world to actually sink an enemy ship. It had never returned from its otherwise successful mission and its location had been unknown for over 100 years. The sub has been valued at over $20,000,000. Spence donated his discovery rights to the wreck to the State, and the tiny sub has since been raised and its crew were given a proper burial. Spence's other shipwreck discoveries are too many to list here but include the Spanish pirate ship "Diamond", and the blockade runners "Georgiana", "Mary Bowers", "Norseman", "Stonewall Jackson", and "Constance." He has salvaged everything from Spanish galleons to a modern ferry boat. It was Spence's research that ultimately led to the discovery of the gold rush steamer "Central America" and the SS "Republic" with its cargo of gold.
    Dr. Spence's past work has been funded by such institutions as the Savannah Ships of the Sea Museum, the College of Charleston, South Carolina Committee for the Humanities and the National Endowment for the Humanities. In 1991 and 1992, Spence served as Chief of Underwater Archeology for San Andres y Providencia, a 40,000 square-mile Colombian owned archipelago in the western Caribbean. His work on the Great Lakes freighter "Regina" was written up in People Magazine. Because part of his recovery included G.H. Mumm's Champagne, the article was titled: "Ho, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Mumm." He has been in cover stories in such magazines as Life and U.S. News & World Report

Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Jul 2014
    231 times
    Sounds like a good event (I attended the first one) but I think the ticket price is a bit too high. Picture the group of people that attend the picnic. I think a lot of them can't afford it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links