1st Annual Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi folks. It's me again, with another educational opportunity that will be a grand old time!

The 1st Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology Symposium WILL be held on March 14 and 15th, 2020 at the Lagoon House on the shores of the Indian River Lagoon at
3275 Dixie Hwy NE
Palm Bay, Florida 32905.
We will be partnering with the Marine Resources Council to make this event the first of a long series of educational, motivational and inspirational events.

Saturday- Historical presentations day: presenters on the history and salvage of famous shipwrecks and fleets, the research, and the research methods, etc. Some of the folks who have expressed interest in presenting are : E Lee Spence, Corey Malcolm, Rob Westrick, Jim Sinclir, Alex Mirabal, and Carol Tedesco.
Saturday evening: Shipwreck Salvage Archaeology vs the Bureaucrats.
We will be discussing things like:
The focus will be how to combat bad legislation, bad press and bad people that inflicts harm on our industry...whether it is the NOAA Sanctuary debacle in the Keys or Great Lakes, the UNESCO travesty perpetrated on countries to give up their submerged cultural heritage to the supervision of bureaucrats, The Abandoned Shipwreck Act of 1987, The Sunken Military Craft Act (SMCA) 2004 and any number of laws and regulations in other countries, maybe a conversation This is not meant to be necessarily country or even hemisphere specific. We are all in this together.
Some of the folks who have expressed interest in speaking on this program are John Brandon, Dan Porter, Ms Taffi Fisher Abt, Lee Spence and Carl Fismer. I think I might be able to get my neighbor Bobby Pritchett interested as well
Sunday: Search and Salvage day: Methods for finding, recovering and recording shipwreck artifacts. Magnetometers, sidescan sonar, new technology, excavation tools, and how to use them. Maybe a discussion about salvage vessel design and operations.
Some of the people who have expressed interest in presenting are John Brandon, Terry Armstrong, Mike Perna, Bill Rawson and Jason Nowell.
Tentatively Regan Lipinski of Marine Sonic Technology in Yorktown, VA, and Gina Lopez of Marine Magnetics (makers of the SeaSpy2 and Explorer magnetometers) have expressed an interest to attend and educate us on their products.

So there is the plan..
The cost will be somewhere around $75-$100 per day - around $150$175 for both days
Give me a little feedback here....ideas are welcome.

Thanks and I hope to see you all at the Symposium.

(https://savetheirl.org/

https://www.facebook.com/MarineResourcesCouncil/

https://www.facebook.com/Lagoon-House-163020800374606/

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good! :coffee2:

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I will be posting updates here, but if you would like to be on the Updates mailing list for this event, please drop me an email at [email protected].
Again...suggestions or any other sort of help would be greatly appreciated. I've run a number of events in the past, but not quite like this!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Bill, You had a "Treasure Hunters Shipwreck Salvage Symposium" last month. What makes this one different?

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Pete...well..one difference is that I am sure that you will be at the Symposium!
The Treasure Coast Treasure Divers Seminar was all about treasure diving, metal detectors and detecting, boats and boat operations and mapping techniques.
We had:
Taffi Risher Abt - a little history, a lot of inspiration
Ace Ridgley- Aquapulse detectors and how to detect an excavation
Terry Armstrong- Terry talked about maps, mapping and his DigFindR and DigTrakR software projects
Carl Fismer- History, treasure hunting methods and a lot of entertainment
Jonah Martinez - the Capitana story, detecting and boat management techniques
Steve McAdoo.- Underwater and beach detecting machines and methods.

The Symposium will have a little, but not a lot of overlap. The Seminar was a more casual program. The Symposium will be more focused on the bigger picture of complete projects. How to research, survey, map and recover along with the Saturday evening session on the PR and politics of our industry. A few of the speakers will be the same, but the material will be different.
The two programs are designed to be complimentary, not repetitive.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I enjoyed the one day seminar, I'm looking forward to the symposium

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would Triton (Subs) be a good match for this since they are based in Sebastian?

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In other news, Alex Mirabal of The Heritage Expeditions has signed on to speak at the Symposium! This is going to be a most excellent adventure!
https://theheritageexpeditions.com/our-team/

MSC. ALEJANDRO MIRABAL
The Heritage Expeditions is the brainchild of Alejandro Mirabal, one of the most experienced Maritime Archaeologists and Expedition Leaders in the world and holder of the Guinness World Record for the Most Historic Shipwreck Locations Visited.

Born in Cuba in 1964, Alex Mirabal is a Maritime Archaeologist with a Master degree in Marine Biology. He has 30 years of fieldwork experience in four different continents and is the author of several academic publications. Following his childhood dreams he has worked on more than 300 historical wreck sites as archaeologist, operations manager, surveyor and diver in Cuba, Cape Verde, Mozambique, Vietnam, Brazil, Indonesia, and England, clocking up more than 10,000 dive hours.

From 1985-98 he worked at a state archaeological organisation in Cuba where, besides excavating a large number of the most significant historic wreck sites in the country, co-directed and produced several documentaries and TV series on the subject. He also cooperated with the European Institute of Archaeology in the first large scale geophysical survey in the country. In 1998, he was the selected maritime archaeologist to represent Cuba’s achievements in the field at EXPO’98, “The Oceans, a Heritage for the Future” a World’s Fair in Lisbon, Portugal.

From 1999 until mid 2015, Alex Mirabal worked for a Portuguese based company as archaeologist where, in close cooperation with Dr. Margaret Rule (CBE, FSA) and the Oxford University’s Marine Archaeological Research unit (MARE) developed the archaeological protocols to follow in the expeditions as well as the scientific publications of documented shipwrecks. In addition to his duties as the company’s main archaeologist, he was also Chief Operations Officer (COO) responsible for the Company’s marine archaeology expeditions and, based on his leadership skills, the formation of a lean team of international experts. Working as a team leader in demanding environments, away from home for months on a row, most of the time in challenging situations, leading multi-cultural and multi-religion crews, his life mission is to unearth centuries old mysteries at the most recondite places of the world in a responsible manner.

Additionally, Alex Mirabal has played a key role disseminating scientific knowledge and awareness for the protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage (UCH), having presented lectures on marine archaeology at prestigious institutions and universities in Cuba, Indonesia and Austria, and having participated in scientific events in the United States, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, Mozambique, Cape Verde, Vietnam and Philippines.
During the expeditions he had the chance to work with some of the most remarkable personalities in the field like the legendary Jacques Ives Cousteau, Franck Goddio and Dr. Margaret Rule. He regularly received visits from celebrities and influential people wanting to learn more about the responsible management of UCH and the environment, as the Hollywood star and environmental activist Kevin Costner and the Formula One World Champion Mika Häkkinen.

Alex Mirabal is co-founder of a public benefit Foundation for the protection of UCH in the Netherlands, where he is a Management Board Director and President of the Executive Committee.

Now, with The Heritage Expeditions, the epitome of his career, Alex Mirabal will continue his lifetime endeavour to protect Underwater Cultural Heritage as he likes to say “one wreck at the time”, giving the unique opportunity to interested individuals and small groups to share that vast experience and be part of the adventure.

THE_AM_02-300x200.jpg
TGuinness World Record for the Most Historic Shipwreck Locations Visited.

THE_AM_01-300x225.jpg
ou.

Last edited:

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Chuckles, he is no archaeologist.

But he is bona fide treasure hunter and he has been around a lot of wrecks, yes. ;)

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Really, Chuckles?

Let us let Wikipedia clarify this, please note that every dictionary has the same definition of the words archaeology and archaeologist.
NONE of them talk about having to belong to a particular club or association or to have paid to attend a particular school to be an archaeologist or to study archaeology.
To wit:
"
[/FONT]Archaeology, or archeology,[SUP][1][/SUP] is the study of human activity through the recovery and analysis of material culture. The archaeological record consists of artifacts, architecture, biofacts or ecofacts and cultural landscapes. Archaeology can be considered both a social science and a branch of the humanities.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] In Europe it is often viewed as either a discipline in its own right or a sub-field of other disciplines, while in North America archaeology is a sub-field of anthropology.[SUP][4][/SUP]Archaeologists study human prehistory and history, from the development of the first stone tools at Lomekwi in East Africa 3.3 million years ago up until recent decades.[SUP][5][/SUP] Archaeology is distinct from palaeontology, which is the study of fossil remains. It is particularly important for learning about prehistoric societies, for whom there may be no written records to study. Prehistory includes over 99% of the human past, from the Paleolithic until the advent of literacy in societies across the world.[SUP][2][/SUP] Archaeology has various goals, which range from understanding culture history to reconstructing past lifeways to documenting and explaining changes in human societies through time.[SUP][6][/SUP]
The discipline involves surveying, excavation and eventually analysis of data collected to learn more about the past. In broad scope, archaeology relies on cross-disciplinary research. It draws upon anthropology, history, art history, classics, ethnology, geography, geology, literary history, linguistics, semiology, sociology, textual criticism, physics, information sciences, chemistry, statistics, paleoecology, paleography, paleontology, paleozoology, and paleobotany."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology

On the other hand....you are most certainly a member of this group, since you seldom add anything to the conversation that is not divisive, derisive or derogatory to members of this community. The name of the forum is TREASURENET.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[SUP][1][/SUP] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[SUP][2][/SUP] and normalizing tangential discussion,[SUP][3][/SUP] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Have a blessed day.

[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alexandre, the late Robert Marx knows more about historic shipwrecks than you will ever know and is considered an archaeologist even thou he does not have a degree.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
As I usually say, having a degree in archaeology does not necessarily make that person an archaeologist; sometimes, you can be an archaeologist without a degree in archaeology.

Anyhow, I am just stating a fact: this person is no archaeologist. I have proven that in court.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
No one credible considers him an archaeologist. As he liked to say, he was in fact a wreckologist.

Alexandre, the late Robert Marx knows more about historic shipwrecks than you will ever know and is considered an archaeologist even thou he does not have a degree.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am quite frankly...a little amazed, more than a little appalled, and downright dissappointed....in the constant process you engage in on an ongoing basis. You belittle, besmirch, denigrate, and degrade anyone who, it seems, does not meet YOUR definition or sense of reality, whatever that may or may not be, in an attempt to cast all and everyone involved in the reclamation or preservation of marine historical resources as looters, grave robbers and thieves...

Why, I ask...if you are SO adament, that what the people of this board do, is unethical, illegal and morally reprehensable...do you sully yourself, your "profession", and your peers by even moving within those same circles? You seldom seem to add anything of substance to the various conversations, constantly attack people both professionally and personally, and do all that you can to cast a distasteful light on all and everything "Non- Alexandre"... it is beyond apparent to me that you are compensating for something you lack on a professional, or personal level, and simply cannot recognize anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

I would be very curious...what your "accrediting" agency's, as well as your "peers" would think of your never ending attacks on people and organizations, and how it reflects upon them in a professional, as well as personal light.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think at heart Alexandre is a closet Treasure Hunter as most underwater archaeologist are.

They just have a different set of investors behind them to pander too.

They get exactly the same feeling of excitement and thrill when they find something interesting as we do, the only difference maybe what happens next. They will keep it in their collections and Treasure Hunters either keep it in our collections or sell it to someone who wants it for their collection.

In most cases it will be recorded and photographed and if it’s of significant importance will be published.

Hunting like collecting is a genetic gene that is in many humans, and it manifests itself in many different ways through the generations.

One day this Archaeologist V Treasure Hunter nonsense will be over as the public will have there say.

Unfortunately Underwater Archaeology is dying on its feet as less and less funding is going their way, and until they accept a new model of working with the private sector and Avocational better, important sites will be left for nature and human interference by anchors, looting and fishing etc, to destroy. I

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am quite frankly...a little amazed, more than a little appalled, and downright dissappointed....in the constant process you engage in on an ongoing basis. You belittle, besmirch, denigrate, and degrade anyone who, it seems, does not meet YOUR definition or sense of reality, whatever that may or may not be, in an attempt to cast all and everyone involved in the reclamation or preservation of marine historical resources as looters, grave robbers and thieves...

Why, I ask...if you are SO adament, that what the people of this board do, is unethical, illegal and morally reprehensable...do you sully yourself, your "profession", and your peers by even moving within those same circles? You seldom seem to add anything of substance to the various conversations, constantly attack people both professionally and personally, and do all that you can to cast a distasteful light on all and everything "Non- Alexandre"... it is beyond apparent to me that you are compensating for something you lack on a professional, or personal level, and simply cannot recognize anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

I would be very curious...what your "accrediting" agency's, as well as your "peers" would think of your never ending attacks on people and organizations, and how it reflects upon them in a professional, as well as personal light.
I dont think his peers or accrediting agency would give a rat's arse about any attacks on treasure hunters or any other people involved in underwater recovery of artifacts.....in fact they may well applaud him for that. But I'm almost certain that they would not like all the sharing of documents, charts and other info with the people they consider looters and robbers. I would assume that his esteemed peers would consider it a treasonous act to collude and trade info of an archeological nature with the sworn enemy...TREASURE HUNTERS !! And not to mention an active member of a treasure hunters forum !! Kind of like seeing the pasture of the church at the local bar !!

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett
I find most of Alexandre's posts enjoyable. He has posted trips, maps, etc that I really find interesting. Between those posts though, I know that he will attempt to be authoritative, but come off sounding like a smart-alek, or an aloof jerk. Personally I'm OK with that trade off though.

What I'm NOT OK with is that the OP Ropesfish is trying to put together a fantastic event this Spring for our group and Alex wants to belittle the presenters in the same thread. That is beyond rude and is totally unacceptable. His posts in this thread should be removed IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread