jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I Suppose it depends on what you see when you open your Front Door.

I Personally wonder if Hunting the Great Lakes is Legal.
I Can't remember last Time I read of a Find in the Lakes.

I Think it was old Logs. in the 70's or early 80's

000bbb.jpg
000aaa.jpg

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

IT is legal as far as i know for i hunt the shores of lake Erie and wade in to hunt and were it is not private property i never have had a problem . I do not dive so i do not know about that.

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to lake Michigan I hunt it all the time. You can legally hunt every inch of it because you are allowed too walk the shore to the high water line even in front of houses

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Recent Treasure Hunting Show Debacle, With the Gold Painted Bricks,
on the Confederate Treasure. in Lake Michigan
Had me wondering.

As they claimed they could not Touch or take .

other then pics

Last edited:

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipwrecks are a different story. I am strictly talking about water hunting (wading)

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Uncle docks his fishing boat at a marina on Lake Erie, the old guy that owns it was a professional salvager on the great lakes before he retired, and bought the marina.
I never realized this until after he passed away.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Can't remember last Time I read of a Find in the Lakes.

I Think it was old Logs. in the 70's or early 80's

View attachment 1785622
View attachment 1785623

I've spent quite a lot of time in the Great Lakes, and I would hardly say that "the buried treasures of the pirates are pennies compared to the wealth" in the Lakes.

Most of the cargoes were lumber, grain, iron ore, and other ordinary commodities.

There is no gold or silver here as a resource. There was some copper, but all that could be salvaged was, and can't now because of shipwreck laws.

On the other hand, the wrecks themselves are the treasure since we have no teredo worms. But there are zebra mussels that are making things less attractive for diving.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was Wisconsin passed a state bottoms land law for underwater with the 50 year old rule.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/wisconsin/wi-laws/wisconsin_laws_170-12

(a) The boundaries of the location where sunken logs may be raised pursuant to the permit. The area covered by the permit shall be contiguous and may not exceed 160 acres. A permit may not cover submerged lands that are not contained within Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, Star Lake in Vilas County, Boom Lake in Oneida County, Rib Lake in Taylor County or the Fox River. No location may be covered by more than one permit under this section.
(b) That the applicant shall obtain all other permits that are required by law, and shall comply with all other requirements that are imposed by law, for raising and removing logs resting on submerged lands owned by the state.
(c) The frequency, means and procedure for accounting for and determining the appraised market value of any logs raised.
(dm) That the applicant shall implement procedures to determine whether a raised log bears an American Indian tribal mark or brand, to identify the tribal mark or brand, and to track the value realized from the sale of logs separately for logs that bear a particular tribal mark or brand.
(e) The procedure and times when the permit holder shall tender to the board, on behalf of the state, amounts due the state for its net share of the value of any logs raised. The amounts due the state for its net share of the value of logs described under par. (dm) shall be separately identified by tribal mark or brand.
(f) Any requirements and conditions necessary to protect public rights in navigable waters.
(g) Any requirements recommended under s. 44.47 (5r) (b) that the board determines should be a condition of the permit.
(7) Permit renewal. If a permit holder wishes to renew a permit issued under this section, the permit holder shall submit a request for renewal, together with a $500 renewal fee, to the board at least 30 days before the expiration date of the permit. The board shall renew the permit for a 5-year period unless the board determines, after notice to the permit holder and an opportunity for the permit holder to be heard, that the permit holder has knowingly or willfully violated the terms, conditions or requirements of the permit; this section; s. 44.47; or rules promulgated under this section or s. 44.47. If the board determines that there are environmental or archaeological facts affecting the location specified in the permit that were unknown at the time that the original permit was granted, the board may attach additional conditions or restrictions to the permit. If the board determines that the permit holder has knowingly or willfully violated the terms, conditions or requirements of the permit or a provision under this section or s. 44.47, the board may deny the renewal or may attach conditions or restrictions to the renewal necessary to ensure compliance with the requirements of the original permit

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting is Lake Superior has a max depth of 1332 feet! Was talking a few weeks ago to some Coast Guard working on the buoy tender Alder based out of Duluth, MN and they said they have installed buoys at depths of 600 feet. That's a lot of chain!!!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That the applicant shall implement procedures to determine whether a raised log bears an American Indian tribal mark or brand, to identify the tribal mark or brand, and to track the value realized from the sale of logs separately for logs that bear a particular tribal mark or brand.
Are we talking about the possibility of Native American cultural heritage or were the Indians into logging?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we talking about the possibility of Native American cultural heritage or were the Indians into logging?

Not that I ever heard, but logging camps generally didn't keep written histories. :laughing7:

It was easy enough to brand logs by hammering the end while keeping count.

I've seen the sunken logs, and thought of raising them, but couldn't find anyone willing to take it on with me. It's much more dangerous than regular logging. Maybe I'm not too bright, but it did sound like dark, dirty, nasty, tough - fun.

Sometimes they're like Pick up Sticks, all tangled up.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1785844
Made from the only wood of this type, vintage and quality that still exists on Earth, this Craviotto solid shell snare drum has been custom-crafted from a single piece of this hand-selected “Timeless Timber’

https://www.drumazon.com/products/c...-14-x-5-5-solid-birch-snare-drum-no-42-of-100

That stuff don't grow on trees!

That is some seriously gorgeous wood and work. The hundreds of year old wood has a quality that will never be seen again.

Price wasn't listed........

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to balance the color a little better, so we can possibly see the marking on hammer.

SANY0097-markhammer.jpg

SANY0098-markclose.jpg

SANY0100-loghammer.jpg

SANY0102-loghammermarking.jpg

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Duluth Daily Tribune of June 21, 1985, reported that one log raft on Lake Superior held 3,000,000 board-feet of timber and soon after the turn of the century a raft containing over 6,000,000 board-feet of timber was shipped from the mouth of the Gooseberry River. These large rafts could cover as much as 25 acres of lake surface.

The most common style of raft was the boom type. Known as a bag boom, this kind of raft was essentially a floating fence which held quantities of free-floating logs. When filled with logs and placed under tow, it took on the shape of a bag held by a string. Captain Benjamin Boutelle, owner of the Niagara from 1888 to 1901, used a boom built by stringing large logs together on a chain passed through a hole in the center of each log. Using this arrangement, Boutelle towed a raft containing 3,000,000 board-feet of logs from Lake Superior to Bay City, Mich., through one of the worst storms of the 1885 sailing season.

Of course the rafts themselves were hazards to navigation, especially at night, but also when logs escaped from them in storms. Many ships were lost from this practice.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fence type of log raft, probably lost more timber during a storm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread