Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the scores of "payroll" treasures I've looked into over the years, I haven't been able to verify a one.

Of course, it would help if the Natonal Archives would be searchable since there would have had to be records.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian War Gold, the Third Seminole Indian War in April 1857 payroll lost off Fort Capron in Fort Pierce, Florida when the paymaster's longboat swamped. In 1963 a couple of kid's diving for lobster north of Fort Pierce inlet saw a shark flip its tail, moved some sand and exposed gold coins. You can read about it in the book "Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach".

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian War Gold, the Third Seminole Indian War in April 1857 payroll lost off Fort Capron in Fort Pierce, Florida when the paymaster's longboat swamped. In 1963 a couple of kid's diving for lobster north of Fort Pierce inlet saw a shark flip its tail, moved some sand and exposed gold coins. You can read about it in the book "Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach".

It has to be substantiated, not just in a book, but here's what I'm looking for: https://www.sedwickcoins.com/articles/ashley-gordy.htm

Thanks!

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It has to be substantiated...

This is very well known history. Carl Clausen wrote about it in The Florida Historical Quarterly.

https://hometowncurrency.org/gold-coins-of-the-treasure-coast/
Read the last two paragraphs.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I knew they went thru the auction. I attend the auction every Nov in Orlando. Got a stack of the catalogues.
The big attraction in Nov 2019 was the John Pullin collection of the 1715 fleet coins. The coin that was on the cover of the Jan 1965 National Geographic issue was featured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread