PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local auction house had this up for sale yesterday and thought of some out here finding it useful. Map may already be well known to others but couldn't resist posting some images. Glare on the frame made most images blurry or hard to read.

"Original Copperplate Map of Macao by Staunton 1796 (purchased in Hong Kong 1966?)" Reads a label on the back.
My phone got some ok images and did manage to get "Maria Nunez" at one of the mouths of the Typa Harbor to Macao, south central area of the map.

Attachments

• OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-PeninsulaCityImageByAuctionHouse.jpg
    OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-PeninsulaCityImageByAuctionHouse.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 83
  • OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-KeyByAuctionhouse.jpg
    OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-KeyByAuctionhouse.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 56
  • OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-MariaNunez_Typa_Glass1.jpg
    OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-MariaNunez_Typa_Glass1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 55
  • OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-InnerHarbourMiddleCloseup2Glass.jpg
    OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-InnerHarbourMiddleCloseup2Glass.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 54
  • OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-MountainTwee-Lien-Shan_UsuallyCalled_PateraCloseupGl.jpg
    OriginalCopperplateMap-Macao-byStaunton1796-MountainTwee-Lien-Shan_UsuallyCalled_PateraCloseupGl.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Alexandre. I thought you might have a link for a better/clearer version.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BL.
The area where the Maria Nunez was located on the map was one of only a couple that were in focus. I didn't see it until after I got home and was prepping them for the thread. I only saw one other possibility for a ship on the map at the links provided above.
All I could do was point and click because I wasn't able to see what I was taking a picture of at the time.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
That's the name of a reef, not a shipwreck site.

Thanks BL.
The area where the Maria Nunez was located on the map was one of only a couple that were in focus. I didn't see it until after I got home and was prepping them for the thread. I only saw one other possibility for a ship on the map at the links provided above.
All I could do was point and click because I wasn't able to see what I was taking a picture of at the time.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Alexandre.
Just curious if it is still called that today?
Could the reef have been named for a ship that went down or an early explorer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions