Whydah Gally wreck

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently watched a show about the Whydah Gally wreck, and among the artifacts salvaged from it, was a large round lead medallion. I found one that's identicle in my yard near the Arkansas river. This river empties into the gulf of Mexico, so I'm thinking it may be a slave tag from Africa seeing as how the Whydah Gally was captured carrying hundreds of slaves. My yard is an old plantation as well. I will post pics of the Whydah medallion, then mine. IMG_20190215_172701906.jpg IMG_20190215_180045777.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of theories on these...

Personally I always felt they were for holding things down on deck... like maps.

Basically a paperweight... IMO of course.

As far as "identical" to yours... similar would be better... for the shape differs slightly.

Cool item none the less... thanks for posting it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the size of yours?

I found a very similar lead disc in the tree bank of a 1840s house. I can't figure out what it is.

It is almost round, varying from 1" to 1.1 " in diameter, and about .2" thick. It may have been poured in a lightweight cylinder of sheet metal, but not in a pipe, which is round. It's been in the ground for a long time, very oxidized.

There is no hole or groove in it for attaching a string or wire, so it's not a tag or bag seal; I've found lots of those. Nor a fishing weight.

There are no definable markings that I can see, although the surface is rough, except the edge.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
All of the slave tags I have seen were much thinner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread