Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!

John D. Craig isn't just another treasure diver from the 30s, but a multi-talented dive pioneer who hung out with the likes of famed diver and MIT graduate Max Nohl of Milwaukee, who set the World Dive record of 420 feet in Lake Michigan in December 1937, the previous year.

John D. Craig was a businessman, writer, soldier, diver, Hollywood stunt man, film producer, and television host. He worked in the commercial surface-supplied diving industry from the 1930s on, and filmed aerial combat over Europe during World War II. He is best known for using film and television (1957 Kingdom of the Sea)to show the United States public the beauties and dangers of Earth's underwater worlds and author of Danger is my Business.

He had a permit to dive the RMS Lusitania, but the political situation with Germany convinced him to dive Silver Shoals instead.

I've read about this wreck like many of you, but I had no idea that he dove it until Jeff posted it nor much about Craig for that matter. But Nohl, yes, a Wisconsin pioneer diver. The two collaborated to form Diving Equipment and Salvage Company (DESCO) about that time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions