Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Smithsonian Magazine:

Researchers exploring the waters off the Greek Island of Kefallinia have unearthed one of the largest Roman-era shipwrecks ever found.
As Julia Buckley reports for CNN, a team from Greece’s University of Patras located the remains of the ship, as well as its cargo of 6,000 amphora while conducting a sonar scan of the area. The 110-foot-long vessel, newly detailed in the Journal of Archaeological Science, was situated at a depth of 197 feet.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's amphora. That's awesome I always wanted to salvage shipwrecks Mel Fisher stole my dream a Roman shipwreck surprised theres anything left I would think its wood wood have deteriorated. Cool post I love that kind of thing

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's amphora. That's awesome I always wanted to salvage shipwrecks Mel Fisher stole my dream a Roman shipwreck surprised theres anything left I would think its wood wood have deteriorated. Cool post I love that kind of thing

Amphora = clay jars.

Wood appears to be under the bottom mud and so may be preserved, like ours here.

We know little about Mediterranean commerce and "life" aboard ships then, so who knows what will come to light?

The Journal is a good read detailing a great sonar story and cool pics for those interested.

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F191213164907-kefalonia-shipwreck-seabed.jpg

Amphoras are clay vessels " jars" used in the era for storage/shipping . Many are found in the Mediterranean sea on shipwrecks. These are on that shipwreck !!

Last edited:

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is enough amphora on the wreck for every Archie who works on it, to take one home.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's a lot of amphora.

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is enough amphora on the wreck for every Archie who works on it, to take one home.

The lucky ones get amphora with wine in them!

Imagine the papers they could write!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be called "Deaccession". Type deaccession into Google news and see how many museums are doing it! Why can't treasure hunters do it to?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Enrada ypu are right on. Major museums sell historic artifacts. They call it "deaccession" to get rid of excess inventory. But when treasure hunters do it the archies scream "greed."

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they were used heavily to transport wines and olive oils ...anything liquid basically also food like olives in brine and such ...clay jars --the mason jars of their time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread