Large Roman-era shipwreck found
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Bum Luck
  • 2 Post By CaptEsteban
  • 1 Post By enrada

Thread: Large Roman-era shipwreck found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1263 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Large Roman-era shipwreck found

From Smithsonian Magazine:

Researchers exploring the waters off the Greek Island of Kefallinia have unearthed one of the largest Roman-era shipwrecks ever found.
    As Julia Buckley reports for CNN, a team from Greece’s University of Patras located the remains of the ship, as well as its cargo of 6,000 amphora while conducting a sonar scan of the area. The 110-foot-long vessel, newly detailed in the Journal of Archaeological Science, was situated at a depth of 197 feet.

Last edited by Bum Luck; Feb 12, 2020 at 08:54 AM.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    37828 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    What's amphora. That's awesome I always wanted to salvage shipwrecks Mel Fisher stole my dream a Roman shipwreck surprised theres anything left I would think its wood wood have deteriorated. Cool post I love that kind of thing

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    1263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    What's amphora. That's awesome I always wanted to salvage shipwrecks Mel Fisher stole my dream a Roman shipwreck surprised theres anything left I would think its wood wood have deteriorated. Cool post I love that kind of thing
    Amphora = clay jars.

Wood appears to be under the bottom mud and so may be preserved, like ours here.

We know little about Mediterranean commerce and "life" aboard ships then, so who knows what will come to light?

The Journal is a good read detailing a great sonar story and cool pics for those interested.
    Last edited by Bum Luck; Feb 13, 2020 at 02:18 AM.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Jul 2011
    648 times

Amphoras are clay vessels " jars" used in the era for storage/shipping . Many are found in the Mediterranean sea on shipwrecks. These are on that shipwreck !!
    Last edited by CaptEsteban; Feb 13, 2020 at 08:06 AM.
    GreenHiker and Bum Luck like this.

May 2014
    233 times
    I think there is enough amphora on the wreck for every Archie who works on it, to take one home.
    Bum Luck likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1829 times
    Shipwrecks
    That's a lot of amphora.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    1263 times
    Quote Originally Posted by enrada View Post
    I think there is enough amphora on the wreck for every Archie who works on it, to take one home.
    The lucky ones get amphora with wine in them!

Imagine the papers they could write!

May 2014
    233 times
    It would be called "Deaccession". Type deaccession into Google news and see how many museums are doing it! Why can't treasure hunters do it to?

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Port Richey, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1829 times
    Shipwrecks
    Enrada ypu are right on. Major museums sell historic artifacts. They call it "deaccession" to get rid of excess inventory. But when treasure hunters do it the archies scream "greed."

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3561 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    they were used heavily to transport wines and olive oils ...anything liquid basically also food like olives in brine and such ...clay jars --the mason jars of their time

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links