Researchers to Search for Spanish Treasure Ship Nuestra Señora del Juncal
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Researchers to Search for Spanish Treasure Ship Nuestra Señora del Juncal

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2012
    Idaho
    36 times

A2coins, SD51, capt dom and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42149 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Now that would be a blast I would give up just about everything to do that Thanks for the post I love stuff like that just wish I could be part of it lol
    SD51, Blak bart and Simon1 like this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3623 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    yah there interested in "how the ship was built" not the gold bars and silver ingots on her --LMAO...
    SD51, Bum Luck, Blak bart and 2 others like this.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    yah there interested in "how the ship was built" not the gold bars and silver ingots on her --LMAO...
    It's really the spider jaws, cockroach shells, and mouse toenails that they can't wait to find.

Blak bart, A2coins and Simon1 like this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Want to treasure dive in gin clear waters at Jupiter!

Nov 2006
    Jupiter, Florida USA
    257 times
    Whoopie! another great opportunity to study construction methods of antiquated ships of the early 17th century....
    They will just have to move aside all that cumbersome gold and silver - to get to the truly mundane objects that are the main concern of those purer than the driven snow archeologists of the 21st century...
    Yeah - sure... Just who is guarding the Cheese.....?
    Blak bart, A2coins, Simon1 and 2 others like this.
    Since 1987 our Jupiter Wreck has continued to yield coins but the question, "Where's the rest of the Ship?" has remained unanswered...  There are 2 layers of shipwreck scatter and we are equipping the "Enterprise" to excavate the primary treasure layer.  Join with us this year!

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    15554 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    In 2009 an article appeared in the Issue 18 of Wreck Diving Magazine( page 53) wherein Marx wrote this:
    "One recent high-tech treasure hunt in the Gulf of Mexico ended in failure - but
    not because of the equipment available. The Mexican Government hired the
    Russian oceanographic vessel Keldysh to locate the remains of the Spanish Galleon
    Nuestra Señora De Juncal, laden with over 2,000,000 pesos in treasure, which sank
    in deep water in the Gulf of Mexico in 1631. The plan was to locate the wreck
    and then use three submersibles to salvage her. After an intensive three-month
    search that cost almost two million dollars, they gave up. The treasure hunters
    were using the latest and best search equipment to search the wrong area. More
    meticulous historical research would have told them they were more than 50 miles
    from where the wreck lies."
    Years earlier I had heard the same story from my dear friend, Ralph White (RIP), who was on the Keldysh during that voyage. More specifically, he said the cost of the expedition was solely on the Russians and they were frustrated in NOT being able to go to the site(s) they had researched; instead, being directed to search only other areas that had no interest to the Russians.
    Maybe INAH is now going to search in the area(s) of higher probability. (emphasis added today2/14/20)
    Don........
    Source: The above is from my post #3 entry seven years ago; found here:
    About the 1631 fleet in Mexico

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3623 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    humm sounds like let the Russians check out the less likely spots at their expense ---thus saving Mexico the cost and time of looking for it and if they find it Mexico would have found a way to screw them out of it likely ...sounds like Mexico is taking lessons from Spain ...now that the Russians looked at all the lesser likely spots --now Mexico comes in and cherry picks the highly likely areas ...LMAO typical govt style trickery
    Simon1, Salvor6, Bum Luck and 1 others like this.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1270 times
    FUBAR
    Simon1 likes this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    15554 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Ralph White told me where the Russians were planning to search. It will be interesting to see if this current expedition goes where the Russians wanted to go nearly 30 years ago--and were denied. ( No, 'I ain't tellin'.)
    Don....
    Bum Luck and Simon1 like this.

May 2014
    268 times
    It seems to me that the location of the wreck will be in International waters and thus up for grabs for any Independent salvage group including Ocean Infinity with 6 AUV's to deploy at once. OI spent 90 days searching for MH370 in really deep water. I wonder what 90 days for the Juncal would do for them!! Admiralty claim here we come.

May 2014
    268 times
    Seems to me that it could be in 14,000 feet of water OR on the Campeche Bank at 600 feet of water. If they were going past the Keys they would have wanted to stay to the right as much as possible.
    Simon1 likes this.

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    392 times
    The Mercedes was also in international waters and look how well that played with Odyssey.

Anyhow, the best research on this shipwreck and the true X marks the spot thesis is the one published by my late friend Serrano Mangas:

https://www.amazon.com/Los-tres-cred.../dp/6075021426

Quote Originally Posted by enrada View Post
    It seems to me that the location of the wreck will be in International waters and thus up for grabs for any Independent salvage group including Ocean Infinity with 6 AUV's to deploy at once. OI spent 90 days searching for MH370 in really deep water. I wonder what 90 days for the Juncal would do for them!! Admiralty claim here we come.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    185 times

It turned out great for the Spanish as well, they have got the cost of storage and security for an eternity, for no other purpose other than envy and greed.
    Bum Luck and Simon1 like this.

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    392 times
    Yes, because Odyssey was doing it for the love of God...

Quote Originally Posted by VOC View Post
    It turned out great for the Spanish as well, they have got the cost of storage and security for an eternity, for no other purpose other than envy and greed.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    185 times
    At least the OMEX investors used their own money and OMEX used their own people, skill, drive and effort to recover the coins not just paying a lawyer to obtain them.
    Bum Luck, enrada and Simon1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links