Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that would be a blast I would give up just about everything to do that Thanks for the post I love stuff like that just wish I could be part of it lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yah there interested in "how the ship was built" not the gold bars and silver ingots on her --LMAO...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yah there interested in "how the ship was built" not the gold bars and silver ingots on her --LMAO...

It's really the spider jaws, cockroach shells, and mouse toenails that they can't wait to find.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 2009 an article appeared in the Issue 18 of Wreck Diving Magazine( page 53) wherein Marx wrote this:
"One recent high-tech treasure hunt in the Gulf of Mexico ended in failure - but
not because of the equipment available. The Mexican Government hired the
Russian oceanographic vessel Keldysh to locate the remains of the Spanish Galleon
Nuestra Señora De Juncal, laden with over 2,000,000 pesos in treasure, which sank
in deep water in the Gulf of Mexico in 1631. The plan was to locate the wreck
and then use three submersibles to salvage her. After an intensive three-month
search that cost almost two million dollars, they gave up. The treasure hunters
were using the latest and best search equipment to search the wrong area. More
meticulous historical research would have told them they were more than 50 miles
from where the wreck lies."
Years earlier I had heard the same story from my dear friend, Ralph White (RIP), who was on the Keldysh during that voyage. More specifically, he said the cost of the expedition was solely on the Russians and they were frustrated in NOT being able to go to the site(s) they had researched; instead, being directed to search only other areas that had no interest to the Russians.
Maybe INAH is now going to search in the area(s) of higher probability. (emphasis added today2/14/20)
Don........
Source: The above is from my post #3 entry seven years ago; found here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/363194-about-1631-fleet-mexico.html

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm sounds like let the Russians check out the less likely spots at their expense ---thus saving Mexico the cost and time of looking for it and if they find it Mexico would have found a way to screw them out of it likely ...sounds like Mexico is taking lessons from Spain ...now that the Russians looked at all the lesser likely spots --now Mexico comes in and cherry picks the highly likely areas ...LMAO typical govt style trickery

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ralph White told me where the Russians were planning to search. It will be interesting to see if this current expedition goes where the Russians wanted to go nearly 30 years ago--and were denied. ( No, 'I ain't tellin'.)
Don....

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that the location of the wreck will be in International waters and thus up for grabs for any Independent salvage group including Ocean Infinity with 6 AUV's to deploy at once. OI spent 90 days searching for MH370 in really deep water. I wonder what 90 days for the Juncal would do for them!! Admiralty claim here we come.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that it could be in 14,000 feet of water OR on the Campeche Bank at 600 feet of water. If they were going past the Keys they would have wanted to stay to the right as much as possible.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
The Mercedes was also in international waters and look how well that played with Odyssey.

Anyhow, the best research on this shipwreck and the true X marks the spot thesis is the one published by my late friend Serrano Mangas:

https://www.amazon.com/Los-tres-credos-Andrés-Aristizábal/dp/6075021426

It seems to me that the location of the wreck will be in International waters and thus up for grabs for any Independent salvage group including Ocean Infinity with 6 AUV's to deploy at once. OI spent 90 days searching for MH370 in really deep water. I wonder what 90 days for the Juncal would do for them!! Admiralty claim here we come.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It turned out great for the Spanish as well, they have got the cost of storage and security for an eternity, for no other purpose other than envy and greed.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Yes, because Odyssey was doing it for the love of God...

It turned out great for the Spanish as well, they have got the cost of storage and security for an eternity, for no other purpose other than envy and greed.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the OMEX investors used their own money and OMEX used their own people, skill, drive and effort to recover the coins not just paying a lawyer to obtain them.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Yeah, that is all good - if you were not that investor, being duped by phony operatives, that really blew it up with Spain.

Also, last time I looked, Spain did not ask Omex to go and retrieve their property.

At least the OMEX investors used their own money and OMEX used their own people, skill, drive and effort to recover the coins not just paying a lawyer to obtain them.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should not own property that you have made no effort to stake a claim on, locate or attempt to retrieve for hundreds of years.

The sea is not a storage repository for things you may or may not want in the future.

As for OMEX investors they were told exactly what they were investing in (speculative wreck recovery) and that’s exactly what OMEX did.

It’s only the greedy Spanish government with the help of some sneaky dealings with the USA that forced the coins to be snatched from the moral owner.

Still Spain will be paying for their foolishness for ever, whilst OMEX walked away with their heads held high attracting even more investors.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Curious. That is exactly the same position of the US Navy (also, note my bold underline):

"The US Navy’s ship and aircraft wrecks represent a fragile collection of non-renewable resources that, in addition to their historical value, are often considered war graves, may contain unexploded ordnance, state secrets, or environmental hazards. The Navy's policy towards these wreck sites is to leave them undisturbed, thereby encouraging in situ preservation.

You should not own property that you have made no effort to stake a claim on, locate or attempt to retrieve for hundreds of years.

The sea is not a storage repository for things you may or may not want in the future.

It’s only the greedy Spanish government with the help of some sneaky dealings with the USA that forced the coins to be snatched from the moral owner.

Last edited:

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t agree with that either.

War Graves should be time limited to 100 or 120 years.

And as for the Mercedes being on military service that’s about as flakey as a sunburnt forehead.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
You are entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately for the matter in discussion, your opinion is not the rule of law.

The Mercedes was a warship. If it was carrying cargo, doing training, showing the flag or fishing for anchovies, it does not matter. It was a Spanish Navy ship.

I don’t agree with that either.

War Graves should be time limited to 100 or 120 years.

And as for the Mercedes being on military service that’s about as flakey as a sunburnt forehead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread