Consolación Diver

Apr 29, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Really cool Pictures. I have tons of pics and copies of engravings, but i'm scared of copyright laws. Do any of you know if these pics are copyright protected? Just wondering if they could be reprinted or used in a publication. I heard that material loses its copyright after 100 years, but not sure.

Thanks!

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
consolation said

but i'm scared of copyright laws. Do any of you know if these pics are copyright protected?

That's the 'hot point' because it isn't the first time in this forum somebody post an article and/or pics without author-permission or copyright protection.
it isn't the first time. ??? ??? but maybe thoses pics lost already its copyright long time ago.

Amona

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Amona's byline says:

Pirates Rules: "Do whatever you want

;D

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Amona's byline says:

Pirates Rules: "Do whatever you want

Well,... I say that because if you was married into the US territories, after 3 miles oversea, you're in international waters, thats means, US law doesn't apply to you if you get on in a cruises and want to do whatever you want.

Amona

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Amona said:
Well,... I say that because if you was married into the US territories, after 3 miles oversea, you're in international waters, thats means, US law doesn't apply to you if you get on in a cruises and want to do whatever you want.

Amona

;D ;D Could you explain that one again? Married in US waters....past 3 miles you are in International waters.....US law doesn't apply....get on a cruise??.....do whatever you want??

I got lost on that one and couldn't understand where the cruise came in and how it relates to Pirate Rules: :) :) :)

Robert

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
yeah, he lsot me me too Robert. I was just trying to show how ironic it was that someone that says Pirates Rules: "Do whatever you want" would be worried about copyright laws. ;D

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am answering this because I saw Bill Seliger Jr. expressing some concerns. Since he has been digging on the Consolacion for a number of years now, I know he must have some terrific material that may or may not be copyrighted. He is not alone. Many of you might have material that you could use commercially from all your hunts.

Copyright...hmmmm.
If published prior to January 1st, 1923 in the U.S. it is now in the public domain. From 1923 - 1949 there could still be a renewal in effect for copyright as the copyright only lasted 28 years prior to 1923 and in the 28th year, a renewal could be granted. 1949 to 1978.... beats me... a little gray here, but mostly you have to find out if the stuff is copyrighted. Much of what is on this thread is NOT copyrighted as original work... stuff's just too old. Post 1978 you don't have a chance if it is a U.S. publication. Goes for the lifetime of the author plus 70 years, provided it is not a "work for hire", meaning, for example, Harper and Row can't hire me to write a book and copyright it for 140 years if I live to be 90 (say I wrote the book when I was 20) and they paid me to write it as a journalist, for example.

If I reprint a picture painted by somebody else and the copyright is long gone with the original artist, I can't really claim copyright, unless I lie and say that I made the picture myself... course, you can get away with just about anything if you can lie well enough, long enough. Lies are definitely infringement and you might get whacked. Otherwise, everyone must expect fair use of their material. "Fair Use"... see a lawyer.

I am doing a book production right now for a contributor on this forum... Bobadilla. He wrote one and I am going to send it to press shortly. First thing I did was print it in his draft form and send that to the Library of Congress with a $45.00 fee and copyright application in his name with his signature. By the way, its a very good book and I think many of you will want a copy. But, it is copyrighted as we speak. We are not worried. And, it does have many illustrations dating from originals prior to 1923... some from the hand of Christopher Columbus, and others by famous magazine illustrators of the 1800's.

You know, if you give credit where credit is due, its usually not a problem to plagerize to some degree. However, in our particular crowd, we tend to tease one another with bits of information and that can make the blood boil. (All along I thought that was the general idea... cerebral stimulation)

go deep

Greenie
Apr 11, 2006
michigan
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Chagy and RGecy google the Alvin Clark schooner. This shows what to do and not what to do when searching for ships of all kinds. The Alvin Clark was raised seven miles from my house,my dad was friends with Frank Hoffman so we were involved all the way thru to the end. I could fill a book with the behind the scenes activities and the politics. I was planning to look up PegLeg in March he reminded me of Frank ,rest in peace, maybe i will meet him in the new life. Take care GO DEEP

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Thanks Go Deep! I will check it out. When is your next trip to Florida? Keep in touch and we can get together when you are down this way. I will look forward to seeing you down there.

Robert

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread