MARAVILLA

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tom,

Someone was working it recently.call me an ill tell you the details.

Klaus33

Feb 4, 2007
I was in Miami in August 1995 and I remember that the ship of HH was entering to the port (I believe from Bahamas) for a hurricane warning.

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks everyone for your replies. (Cornelius, I have that book-an awesome read!)

I have a good number of Maravilla artifacts from the Herbo expeditions and I was just trying to establish a timeline that they may have been recovered.

Tom

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoever was working this area brought up around 900 artifacts in the past several weeks.5 chests of gold coins,10 bronze cannons,silver plates and platters,30 muskets spanish an english as well as pistols and sabers.and 1 solid silver 3 foot tall statue of the virgin mary.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Fisheye, you said "in the past several weeks." I thought the Bahamas was still closed to treasure hunting. Do you know who is working this area?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A female friend i know from china was working as a free diver on the ship that was working this area.The crew was spanish or cuban.The ship is aprox 100 foot.painted the color of the ocean.the ships crew changed the name of the ship every 3 days useing 5 diff names.the ship has 3 cranes on deck.2 on the stern 1 on the bow.miami is thier base but the ship never comes within the 3 mile limit,they have a ship to shore boat on the stern.the ship is heavyly armed.50mm deck guns,rocket launchers.which they remove when they pick up on radar incomming boats and ships within 10 miles from them.all russian made.the ship has a double hull.the owner of the ship hired 5 scuba divers out of miami that had no clue about treasure wrecks.none were ever paid for thier 2 weeks of work. they worked this wreck in 75-80 feet of water somewhere 40-50 miles off miami,i assume the bimini area.there was a small island nearby that had nothing on it.they were pretty stealthy about working this wreck.i know more about this but i wont post it here,if anyone has any info about this ship.mail me.

abacopirate

Jan 18, 2006
Abaco, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
whites,excaliber,pulsestar2
if they were working 50 miles off miami, it wasn't the maravilla. sorry ,but caps not working on my computer.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A friend of mine Chuck Boyd, was one of the main divers with HH on that expedition. He has lots of pictures that werent in the book. Tom, I will have to get you 2 together, he is a wealth of knowledge. He also tells the real story about how shoddy it all was run, since all he wanted to do was write a book about it, and HHs mother cut him off, and they pulled out of the Bahamas right in the middle of the salvage. Almost as warped as the story of the discovery of the Atocha motherload, when told by the divers and what they where really doing when they stumbled on to it.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I KNOW CHUCK BOYED AS WELL ,,I'V SEEN THE PICTURES , ITS ALL TRUE <<GUZZ1

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
They certainly had a strange security ops plan. All that firepower on deck, then remove it when someone approached. Wonder what the point was? Just curious.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom:
Tippin and Humphreys produced a book about the digs on the Maravilla which covers most of their original discoveries with Art Hartman during the 87 - 88 seasons. Its called "In Search Of The Golden Madonna" and it went to press in 89. Softback... I picked up a used copy for about four bucks. Lots of photos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread