Wrecks in the Bay of Honduras. Map included!

Arch1

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all- since it's been a little quiet here lately, I found a few in my pastime of looking at maps. I'm sure some of our experts here know of them already, but would love to here more info on some. Not getting much on Wrecksite, but I'll limit my use of the Google to start a new conversation. Maps below....

The maps north is rotated, so it points to the left. First image shows this, with the wreck of The Dove on the upper right, 1714....

Detail1.jpg

Second map is the lower section- multiple wrecks again in the upper right....

Detail2.jpg

Let me know what you cats think!

Cheers;

ARCH1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Arch,
I've been there with my boat. Your wreck lies off False Cape, so named because mariners erroronously thought they had rounded the coast at Gracias de Dios. As a result they would wreck on the shallow bottom that lies off the River Croak, at False Cape. I'm not familiar with The Dove. Another vessel, the Bowdoin, also was wrecked there in 1917.
Don......

OP
OP
A

Arch1

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mackadon- great info as usual. Thanks for the link, I was just about to post this map- similar to yours, appears to be the same cartographer/publisher. This one is from the JCB collection:

Four_Keys.jpg

Cheers!

-ARCH1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Arch,
My boat was registered out of Roatan, Honduras. We had a permit "to remove obstructions to navigation" which allowed us to visit some out of the way places.. like Big and Little Swan Islands.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread