Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi

I think this could be a good opportunity for someone here,

I have been a member here for about 15 years, I don’t post as much as I used to, but I often come to read your amazing stories. I have been doing shipwreck research for nearly 20 years and for the last 8 years I have been the Senior Researcher for one of the leading marine salvage company who has successfully found and recovered over $600 million dollars’ worth of treasure. Currently I also work as a consultant a multi-award-winning international Film and Television production company who works with broadcasters like the BBC, Discovery, CNN, Channel 4, Nat Geo, ITV, History, A&E, Syfy, TLC and ID.

Right now I am working with the production team of a new treasure hunting TV show that will air in one of the top-rated channels. We are in the process of finding 8 to 12 stories for 60-minute episodes. It is a reality show, so I am looking for people who are actively searching for a treasure, or people who have done research and have found evidence that can lead to finding a treasure. If you think your story would make a great episode, send me a PM

And of course, this opportunity is only for those who can and want to share their story.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a reality show, so I am looking for people who are actively searching for a treasure, or people who have done research and have found evidence that can lead to finding a treasure. If you think your story would make a great episode, send me a PM

so you dont have to actually find anything...just have a wild time looking for stuff???

i'M IN!

Currently in the Med... do you think that a crew of 8- 20 somethings diving everyday on archeological sites would be worthy...I am the dive master and chief Maritime Archaeologist...

If I really need to, do you suppose it might help to add a few guys to the crew? depending on the channel you are talking about?

Spoke with the crew, will we have to wear any clothing for the filming?

Can you do a "Naked and Maritime Archaeology" series? That may work out better for us.

hell, we are serious, and we do find stuff all the time!

oh forgot...do we have to speak English?

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was a TV program called "The Naked Archaeologist" starring Simcha Jacobovici.
He was not naked.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got the divers, we got the shipwrecks.
Great shipwrecks, fantastic stories.
Any of these wrecks, you plan on using divers on, by chance located off the western US coast?

Colombiapictures

May 7, 2010
Any of these wrecks, you plan on using divers on, by chance located off the western US coast?

Sorry, no, all in the Atlantic or Caribbean.

Divers are still very crucial assets to work on shipwrecks. The best cameras are useless when the visibility is 10 feet. Divers can still work fine down to one foot.
So, how can you make a TV show under such circumstances?
In shallower water the tides and weather play an important role. One needs to know how to use the "tide windows" and the "weather windows" it needs a lot of planning.
Planning is everything.
The general planning needs to integrate the planning of the archival research, the search and recovery, permits, funding, conservation, the equipment, the key people, the ship crew, logistics, dive crew, season, weather, tides and much more.
And all this planning can end up useless if politics or a corona virus hits you suddenly.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Columbiapictures
Heavy emphasis on your word "reality show". Hopefully you hire an Experienced User Designer" with a lot of treasure hunting experience so you don't end up with another Oak Island fiasco.
J.D.
Methods Analyst
Experienced User Designer
Underwater Treasure Hunter
Professional Researcher

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
You should do an episode about our shipwreck, the Jupiter shipwreck. From a production stand point we often have ideal filming conditions. There is a mountain of available actual footage available and it is q -GREAT STORY- with the reat of the treasure still out there and yet to be recovered. Everyone including Chagy knows its out there... The problem is the greed factor and clashing of egos - that can make for great scripted reality TV.
Take a look at Treasure Diving with Captain Dom. Chagy has spent quit a bit of time on our site. And like Paul Harvey use to say... "Now here is the rest of the story... COVER of Book TWO TINY turned.jpg coin divers.jpg Me with Ring.jpg

Colombiapictures

May 7, 2010
Columbiapictures
Heavy emphasis on your word "reality show". Hopefully you hire an Experienced User Designer" with a lot of treasure hunting experience so you don't end up with another Oak Island fiasco.
J.D.
Methods Analyst
Underwater Treasure Hunter
Professional Researcher

enrada, sorry to have caused a misunderstanding. I have no connection with the "reality show". I was just shooting the breeze, maybe feeling some cabin fever. Actually meaning to answer on xaos post.

Last edited:

Colombiapictures

May 7, 2010
Aw, what the heck, since we are already here, why not speculate a bit. Use the combined knowledge of the most experienced experts in the field, on this forum to see if we can figure out how a GOOD TV show on shipwrecks should be done.

enrada,
OK, I got the "underwater treasure hunter" expertise and I understand that you are good at archival research. There would be a lot of that needed to piece all the stories together. May I ask you what languages?

Could you enlighten me what a "user designer" is?
How would you apply your "Method Analyst" expertise on a shipwreck TV show?

Capt Dom,
I agree, the Jupiter wreck has a long story in modern times. I know very little of it and would like to hear ALL OF IT. How would you go about telling the story, ...and the rest of the story too. All the pictures and videos of the past are a valuable asset. Are you a good story teller? Or do you know somebody who is great at telling stories? My guess is we would need a charismatic "host" or how does one call the person who does most of the talking. Somebody once told me that a great story is like a string of pearls. Each pearl represents a highlight of the story. The string is what makes it a whole. Should we say we need a "string person"? Does not sound quite right, does it. I should definitely leave the talking to somebody else.

Anyway, there is lots of knowledge and talent here on the forum. We know of lots of shipwrecks with great stories.
We just need to find a way to tell these stories. Show some documents and artifacts to prove the story is real and true. Show the glitter of some silver and gold to let the audience feel some of the excitement that we feel when we look at the first treasure of a shipwreck in our hand. The elation feels like winning the lottery. This feeling is extremely addictive and never lets you go.
Damn cabin fever....

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett
Are you a good story teller?

Obviously you have never met Captain Dom! Saw him at the Jupiter Inlet beach and introduced my family and we spent the next few hours at his home hearing treasure tales and seeing some treasure. Kids are grown now but they still talk about it. He's an original.

And another person with a share of this wreck has started a shipwreck themed restaurant/bar that has been very popular in Jupiter for years.
Scott's a great guy and has fantastic shipwreck artifact displays and décor at his place so it would be perfect to film at.
Lots of friction between the partners, State of FL, etc. Beautiful location with the big lighthouse right at the inlet where the treasure was found and maybe more to be found further out. It's a great story waiting to be told. Way better than Oak Island IMHO.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, west coast waters stay murky until later in the season.

Colombiapictures

May 7, 2010
Obviously you have never met Captain Dom! Saw him at the Jupiter Inlet beach and introduced my family and we spent the next few hours at his home hearing treasure tales and seeing some treasure. Kids are grown now but they still talk about it. He's an original.

And another person with a share of this wreck has started a shipwreck themed restaurant/bar that has been very popular in Jupiter for years.
Scott's a great guy and has fantastic shipwreck artifact displays and décor at his place so it would be perfect to film at.
Lots of friction between the partners, State of FL, etc. Beautiful location with the big lighthouse right at the inlet where the treasure was found and maybe more to be found further out. It's a great story waiting to be told. Way better than Oak Island IMHO.

Wow, that sounds like "pay dirt". Great info. Great location. Easy logistics. Lots of good points. I would go for that.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The definition of a "User Designer".
Short version:
"A UX designer is concerned with the entire process of acquiring and integrating a product, including aspects of branding, design, usability and function. It is a story that begins before the device is even in the user's hands. “No product is an island. A product is more than the product."
Long version:
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/topics/ux-design

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experienced User Designer:
Have you ever tried to hook up a Xerox printer to an Apple computer? If you have you will wonder why the manufacturer didn't figure this out before it was released to market.
Or tried to download pictures by wifi from a Canon camera to an Apple computer. EUD'ers would have told the manufacturer you have a problem.
Professional Researcher:
I spent 4 years doing research on just Manila Galleons. I have the skill set to find documents in foreign libraries and archives. I then hire a researcher to either copy the document or
translate it. I have done this with Latin, Dutch, Spanish. I had such an important document in Latin that I separated it into two pieces and had two different translators in two different countries translate it for me.
Methods Analyst:
I have had three different investors ask me to review their possible investment in projects including the research and the application of the technology the group intended to use.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first most important thing is to find out if the project is stock market funded or privately funded.
I could give you names of faulty projects that I have detected but I won't.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it became obvious that Odyssey was going to lose ownership to the treasure from the Merchant Royal because of collusion between the State Dept and Spain, I wrote a letter to both Greg Stemm and Melinda Carlisle telling them to take all the Pof8 back to the site off of Portugal and dump(spread) them around on the site. Instead Gregg let Spain come to Florida and pick up the conserved coins free of charge, thereby setting precedence for the rest of us in this business.
Do you now know why every business needs to hire an outside EUD!!

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I meant Black Swan not Merchant Royal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread