Florida treasure hunter says he was tricked by con man claiming to be a war hero

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met in a bar? There’s your first clue. Florida....The Scam Capital of the World. If I was young and single I wouldn’t even get into a serious relationship with someone down here without doing a credit and background check.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana Jones at the bar I remember in my younger days I wore many hats at the bar depending on who she was and what I claimed I did for a living surprised no one checked his creds

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not!

Pity! They never found the front portion of the aircraft? The aircraft broke in two in 1977 on impact with the sea at night. No black box in those days and two pilots survived so it was no search for the cockpit.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Alexandre

In October 2011 the wreckage of the Caravelle was found by a team of Portuguese divers at a depth of 110 m (360 ft). The aircraft had reportedly broken into two sections. After 34 years the main body of fuselage was found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L79Hi1M4kQw

But not the all important cockpit. I understand the current is very strong on that part of the island off the airport. I suspect the front cock pit nose was still structurally intact causing the nose of cockpit to have trapped air giving enough buoyancy for the cockpit structure to float off further away from the impact crash site in current until finally sinking perhaps into much deeper water.

Principle conclusion of the crash is that the flight arrive in darkness while the flight originally was intended to arrive before dark. The co pilot was training the pilot to land at the airport and because of the lights reflecting on the water they mistook ocean next to the airport for the runway in sense of sensory illusion. The airport is one of most dangerous airports in Europe because its like landing on an aircraft carrier with wicked cross winds with a peak on one side and ocean on the other.

SATA_Sud_SE-210_Caravelle_10B1R_take_off_at_Gatwick.jpg

An interesting conundrum on the legal status of SA de Transport Aérien Flight 730. Historical wreck or deemed abandoned property of the airline or insurance company?

Crow

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is easy to fool people when they have a strong desire to believe in some one or some thing. Hence the continuing believers in voodoo technology that never produces results and the elusive good-hearted stripper that is putting herself through law school.
:)

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday ropefish

Leave my drunken debauchery with strippers alone I have you know they have gotten me into more trouble over the years than bent politicians. :tongue3:

The lure of fortune and glory is like trying to get your hands on that pole dancer....Its going to cost ya one way or another

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Legally, it belongs to the Portuguese state.

Hello Alexandre

And what of private property with in the wreck. Does it belong to the state or original legal owner? Is there under Portuguese law a time frame that private property lost in such circumstances becomes property of the state?

Just curious set of legal circumstances.

Crow

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday AARC

Growing old and disgraceful is a specialty of this raggedy old Crow. Going out like like all old pirates should.....Arrrrrgh:laughing7:

Crow

I will toast my drink to you old salt.

Speaking of toasting... Now... back to that debauchery with strippers. :P

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will toast to that....

Piracy is not dead they have just swapped their eye patch and cutlass for a smart phone and call themselves lawyers....

Ye courts may of shot me full of holes....with cannon balls of lawsuits but raggedy old Crow is still afloat all be it with a few feathers missing. I am feeling a little cocky as of late as I fired one back. And got a private settlement for services rendered.

Enough for old Crow to vanish for awhile....Back to laddies of ill repute drunken debauchery like all pirates should.

Arrrgh :occasion14:

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Alexandre

The crash report only gave an approximate estimation of the crash site. The real location was examining Eyewitness reports that was able give an approximate triangulation from where the eyewitness saw the reports from.

Here is two pages of the report showing the approximate crash zone.

probable crash point 1.JPG

My apologies as I have diverted from the ordinal thread.

You know from all years I have roamed the world there is one saying that always stand out. "Where there is treasure evil is never far away."

In this business you will find "saints and sinners and everything in between" Conmen feed off hopes and dreams and there is no more ripe fruit to pluck than those after the sweet taste of fortune and glory.

So yeah nah not surprised...

Crow

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met in a bar? There’s your first clue. Florida....

Wait, where else would you find a treasure hunter in Florida?!?!?! :dontknow:

Those ne'er-do-wells at Hogfish arent treasure hunters???

:occasion14:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread