Want to dive on some sunken Spanish Galleons?

conquistador

Feb 13, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
dfx.
Hi! Everyone. I was doing some research on the internet and came across a site that may be of interest
to everyone who dives for Treasure .The site is called Dive-Spots.com.Click on Islamorda.In browse click on
View all in Islamorda.There are two pages.It list 8 out of 21 Spanish Galleons that sank in 1733 and also gives there GPS dive locations.If anyone out their is interested please drop me a post.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These wrecks are now protected. You can look, but you can't touch. :(

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I believe there are several that are still being worked, but under nonprofit organizations through Archaeologist.

The San Jose is the only one that I know of that is actually still under admiralty and was being worked by Dr. Ron Molinari up until last year. I actually met with him earlier this year when we were looking to buy his salvage boat. I believe he was having some health issues and has decided not to work the wreck anymore. He is apparently looking to write a book on his work and was not interested (at the time) in bringing in any subcontractors.

Honestly, I think its a shame to let it go.

Apparently, Dr. Molinari was very methodical in his approach to salvage, and never left any stone unturned. But, I was told that he had focused his attention to one area around the ballast pile and decided not to look in some areas where there had been reports of a cannon in deeper water near the the reef where they think it first struck.

Who knows, maybe someone could jump in and take over the admiralty!

Not allot was recovered in the end, and I think this had allot to do with him giving up as well. Along with new regulations in the Marine Sanctuary and all the bureaucratic paperwork.

But, supposedly there was still allot of treasure unaccounted for!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres thousands of wrecks in the keys,mostly all along the reefs.most were salvaged by the wreckers from before the 1700's to the late 1800's.they knew what they were doing.it was big business back then.some wrecks were refloated and sold or used.others were salvaged for what they could get off them.the wrecks that were in deeper water are still there.they had no equipment to dive to salvage them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions