Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Claudio has a good point there. The treasure is not doing any good sitting on the bottom of the sea.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you can all wear a mask and sanitize your hands. Its way lot cheaper.
The masks are not given away by the public health system. The citizen has to buy them (in many countries of the European Union). But in many countries it is mandatory to carry it (and pay it out of pocket). Masks have made and are doing a lot of business. Taking out treasures could be distributed free to citizens, since it is mandatory to carry them.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
They cost you the price of a coffee. I always wear mine and I am a poor archaeologist.

112229134_3133145816722267_3383051296754697481_o.jpg

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They cost you the price of a coffee. I always wear mine and I am a poor archaeologist.

View attachment 1852572
In many (third) world countries there is not enough money for a cup of coffee, but there are plenty of wealthy galleons to buy breathing apparatus, masks, gels and if there is money left over to subsidize financial aid for unemployed people due to the coronavirus.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
In many (third) world countries there are plenty of natural resources (oil, gas, gold, timber) to buy breathing apparatus, masks, gels and if there is money left over to subsidize financial aid for unemployed people due to the coronavirus. It is better to end corruption and third world exploitation than have their cultural heritage cherrypicked to be sold in first world auctions.

I helped to end treasure hunting in Mozambique and I did the math. Not only the country ended up with no money from the gold, silver and chinese porcelain sold, they even had to put money of their own in the Arqueonautas debacle.

Now, like in Cape Verde.. no heritage, no money, no nothing.

THs fled and the only thing they left in country was their boat to rot at Mozambique island.

80621038_2637013999668787_341641416918695936_o.jpg

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here in Florida Mel Fisher established a museum to conserve the cultural heritage and put it on display for everyone to enjoy. The excess coins and bullion were sold to help make everyone involved wealthy. And, to top it off, even the state got 20% to fill their coffers. It all depends on how you manage it. Arquenautas started out by going to the wrong place. There are no treasure filled galleons around Mozambique Island.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, hopefully some crumbs are left for the Covid-19. One fact is significant: UNESCO prohibits profit, but UNICEF asks for money for poor children. Paradoxes of things!

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Why dont you go to the Sistine Chapel, carve that Michelangelo ceiling in small pieces and sell it apiece?

I bet it would fetch a nice price.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I feel like I need to provide a link to the Wikipedia definitions of hypocrites or hypocrisy.

When "historians or "archaeologists" start donating their artifact or lima collections to museums or stop attending the Sedwick coin auction or stop travelling across the Atlantic to treasure hunt in the US because they're not allowed to do it back in Europe.

In other words, when hell freezes over.

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the mid '80s I was delivering a 53' Van de Stadt sailboat with a girlfriend and we hung out at the hotel in Port Royal . The docks were being rebuilt by several brothers from Miami and I watched them 'wander' offshore while diving. Took awhile but eventually I was able to get their confidence and they told me they had made one trip to Miami to sell a shoebox of pieces of eight. Every coin shop they walked into the guy told them someone else had been there earlier selling the same vintage coins. His description matched one of the Texas A & M scientist that was staying at the hotel. Probably paying off his student loans instead of diving for 'science'. I've been jaded about archaeologist since then.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why dont you go to the Sistine Chapel, carve that Michelangelo ceiling in small pieces and sell it apiece?

I bet it would fetch a nice price.

It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to understand the difference between the Sistine Chapel and an 8-reales coin. The first is unique, the second, there are millions in every shipwrecked Spanish galleon!

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Na. Every coin is unique. Anyhow, you were looking for a source of money, I pointed you to one, readily available.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Names of those "historians or "archaeologists", please.

Boy, I feel like I need to provide a link to the Wikipedia definitions of hypocrites or hypocrisy.

When "historians or "archaeologists" start donating their artifact or lima collections to museums or stop attending the Sedwick coin auction or stop travelling across the Atlantic to treasure hunt in the US because they're not allowed to do it back in Europe.

In other words, when hell freezes over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions