Towing a magnetometer fish directly beneath a small inflatable.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Jolly Mon
  • 4 Post By lukdiver
  • 1 Post By Jolly Mon
  • 1 Post By Magoopeter
  • 4 Post By AARC

Thread: Towing a magnetometer fish directly beneath a small inflatable.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    527 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Towing a magnetometer fish directly beneath a small inflatable.

I have an old J.W. Fisher's proton 3 mag and was thinking that it might be possible to drag the fish directly beneath a small inflatable with a 9.9 hp outboard. The depth of drop for the fish would vary, but I am primarily interested in relatively small targets in shallow water, so 10 to 15 feet from the bottom of the inflatable to the fish would be ideal.

I can keep the amount of ferrous material on the inflatable to a minimum, but obviously the outboard is the big bugaboo.

Will the error introduced to the mag from the outboard remain relatively consistent during slow straight runs?

Will it greatly affect the sensitivity of the mag?

I actually got the idea from the method JW Fishers recommends for pinpointing in the Proton 3 manual.

I love the idea of being able to tow the fish directly beneath the boat for obvious reasons and was wondering if anyone has ever tried this method or anything similar.
    Last edited by Jolly Mon; Jul 30, 2020 at 08:22 PM.
    ropesfish likes this.

Dec 2012
    61 times
    Whenever we're magging we tow the fish 50'+ behind the boat. Hard 180-degree turns will cause a acylation of the fish and trigger a false hit. We just mark it on the gps and make sure we pass over it again to eliminate it. This was on a recent search in 10-15'(often less) of water weaving amongst breaking rocks. Quite thrilling. Normally in deeper water we pull a 'mag bouy' behind the boat (its one end has the lead-weight trailing directly behind bouy. When we have a hit we want to mark we simply release the boat end and weight drops to the bottom while line runs thru the bouy. This puts the bouy almost directly over the top of the hit. Because of magnetic field tilt we usually drop when we hit the null. Hopefully I've explained this but I'll reply to any questions you may have. Most of our recent magging is West Coast of US and often in highly geologically-disturbed areas.
    Jolly Mon, BillA, Crow and 1 others like this.

Sep 2012
    527 times
    Well, I found the answer to my own question on page 73 here:http://www.3hconsulting.com/Download...%20Rev%202.pdf

I would delete the original post but I think the answer to the question is very interesting.
    ropesfish likes this.

Sep 2012
    527 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lukdiver View Post
    Whenever we're magging we tow the fish 50'+ behind the boat. Hard 180-degree turns will cause a acylation of the fish and trigger a false hit. We just mark it on the gps and make sure we pass over it again to eliminate it. This was on a recent search in 10-15'(often less) of water weaving amongst breaking rocks. Quite thrilling. Normally in deeper water we pull a 'mag bouy' behind the boat (its one end has the lead-weight trailing directly behind bouy. When we have a hit we want to mark we simply release the boat end and weight drops to the bottom while line runs thru the bouy. This puts the bouy almost directly over the top of the hit. Because of magnetic field tilt we usually drop when we hit the null. Hopefully I've explained this but I'll reply to any questions you may have. Most of our recent magging is West Coast of US and often in highly geologically-disturbed areas.
    Love the "mag buoy".

ie
    Mr

Jan 2016
    Ireland
    underwater
    123 times
    Shipwrecks
    Pete holt, best in the business, look at site searcher,
    Downloads
    also
    https://www.maarer.com/flip-books.html
    bottom right of page.
    Jolly Mon likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    66298 times
    Why not... ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cool-motor-boat-table-umbrella-river.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1853183
    Crow, Jolly Mon, Deep1 and 1 others like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

br
    Jul 2018
    618 times
    Normally in deeper water we pull a 'mag bouy' behind the boat (its one end has the lead-weight trailing directly behind bouy. When we have a hit we want to mark we simply release the boat end and weight drops to the bottom while line runs thru the bouy.
    In deeper water? Mag hits are easier to locate in deep water....Towing a buoy in deep water to drop on a target??

I think you meant towing a buoy in shallow water....
    I love the taste of water, frozen into squares, and surrounded by rum

Jul 2018
    2 times
    Tow the mag being the boat under a "Dutchman Bouy "

PM me if you want a drawing or details on how to rig a "Dutchman Bouy"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links