Has Anyone Taken the Dive Trip To The Atocha With Mel Fisher's Company?

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Not sure, now, but I believe you had to be an investor with them, to dive.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better have "money to burn"! Its STUPID expensive. Dig deeper, youll find the pricing and details.

OP
OP
S

SeaHunter2312

Jul 29, 2020
Denver
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 40
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you on that one. Everything with them is expensive when you’re an outsider it appears

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at the website, and they have changed it since I last looked. They used to have the cost and details posted but now only give you a phone # and email to contact.

I can tell you that 10 years ago it was $3000 for a "week" which only got you 3 days of diving. Everything else was fluff like meeting Taffi, museum tour, sunset cruise and other things that I dont care about. Back then it was minimum $10k to become an investor. I'm sure those numbers are much higher now.

OP
OP
S

SeaHunter2312

Jul 29, 2020
Denver
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 40
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked at the website, and they have changed it since I last looked. They used to have the cost and details posted but now only give you a phone # and email to contact.

I can tell you that 10 years ago it was $3000 for a "week" which only got you 3 days of diving. Everything else was fluff like meeting Taffi, museum tour, sunset cruise and other things that I dont care about. Back then it was minimum $10k to become an investor. I'm sure those numbers are much higher now.

Yeah Jason I was looking again and saw the same thing on the site. Wow. 3K for 6-9 dives..... I am thinking of trying to link up with some folks that could take me to some other wreck sites. Even though it will be just diving on a ballast pile, I want to see it for myself. Dove plenty of modern wrecks but I am just drawn to these wood shipwrecks. Tired of reading about them. I'll be back down in the Keys this October so I have time to get myself sorted out. I can do the museum and sunset cruises on my own....Thanks for the reply!

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
With 3K I would be having 25 dives in the Maldives... :D

Yeah Jason I was looking again and saw the same thing on the site. Wow. 3K for 6-9 dives..... I am thinking of trying to link up with some folks that could take me to some other wreck sites. Even though it will be just diving on a ballast pile, I want to see it for myself. Dove plenty of modern wrecks but I am just drawn to these wood shipwrecks. Tired of reading about them. I'll be back down in the Keys this October so I have time to get myself sorted out. I can do the museum and sunset cruises on my own....Thanks for the reply!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A minimum investment in Mel Fisher’s Treasuries is $6,520, but they run to the $150,000 Emerald Level. Investors can visit the wreck site, and the year’s find is shared at an annual Division Party.

OP
OP
S

SeaHunter2312

Jul 29, 2020
Denver
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 40
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC

Thanks for the reply!

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

This might interest you. They are on a Covid hold right now, you might check for october dates Not cheap but a lot less than the Fisher option. If they're not operating, I'm sure they can refer you to operators that can take you out to 1733 wrecks

https://www.scubawize.com

There are videos on youtube "keysdiveguide" that cover diving on a lot of the 1733 fleet wrecks that might help you decide on which ones you want to dive

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SeaHunter2312

Jul 29, 2020
Denver
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 40
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might interest you. They are on a Covid hold right now, you might check for october dates Not cheap but a lot less than the Fisher option. If they're not operating, I'm sure they can refer you to operators that can take you out to 1733 wrecks

https://www.scubawize.com

There are videos on youtube "keysdiveguide" that cover diving on a lot of the 1733 fleet wrecks that might help you decide on which ones you want to dive

Denniss,

Awesome! That's right up my alley! And we stay on Windley Key so it's right down the street from our place. Thanks for the info

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the website is back up, museum part had been down after the storm. Also noticed the 1715 Fleet info page seems to be protected now from any copy attempts. Didn't try a screenshot because not the same as having text.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SeaHunter2312

Jul 29, 2020
Denver
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 40
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been binge watching those Keys Dive Guide videos on YouTube. That guy has definitely documented, very thoroughly, all those wreck sites. He should get some kind of recognition for all that work he did! I wish I could have done something like that, what a fortunate guy to have spent all that time just diving and filming. Wow.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Many years ago, I got paperwork from Fisher on investing in their research. I asked what the average return on a $10,000 investment had been with them over the last 10 years. They replied that they did not have such records.

jsturg

Mar 18, 2005
Eldersburg, MD
Detector(s) used
Brain
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Saw on their website that you can take a dive trip on the Atocha with them. Was wondering if anyone has done that and what they charge, etc....
I'm not an investor but I've made a couple of Atocha dives. While the investor route is always a viable option, it's all about timing. The whole industry is... the sea floor can look different day to day, day to year, or day to 398 years (2020-1622). Short story... I was at a technical dive shop in New Jersey back in 1995. I happened to see a flyer on the counter that caught my attention and a phone call later I was on the list to make a 10th Anniversary commemorative dive on the Atocha. Arriving a little early, I joined in on some lectures, got a full behind the scenes tour of the museum narrated by KT, followed by a tour of some of the conservation labs narrated by Syd. I even spent some time polishing reales right out of the electrolysis tub. Pretty cool holding a couple of dozen authentic and shiny silver reales in your hand. On Saturday, we boarded a liveaboard and headed West. There's a ballast pile out near Fort Jefferson you can easily snorkel... but like many sites in FL, it's protected. There are some gorgeous wreck sites out between Key West and Fort Jefferson. On Saturday night, Syd narrated an amazing slide show on the top deck of the boat as we headed towards the Margarita and Atocha sites. We arrived back at the dock just in time for a 10 year anniversary party in the museum courtyard with the Atocha elite, including Mel. I took tons of pictures and videos and it was an experience I'll never forget. I've been back many times since and occasionally show up for Mel Fisher Days. I'm a huge 1715 buff now but it was the Atocha dive that started a long journey through history and treasure isn't always shiny.

Will they ever do something like that again... who knows... frequent their sites (they have both a .com and a .org site), and this site and you just may find yourself at the right place at the right time too. See attached...

Atocha1995.jpeg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya never know...

Take the dive... you may end up looking like my avatar. :) (although this was MANY moons ago)

<---------------------- (for larger picture go to my profile and click on album)

jsturg

Mar 18, 2005
Eldersburg, MD
Detector(s) used
Brain
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya never know...

Take the dive... you may end up looking like my avatar. :) (although this was MANY moons ago)

<---------------------- (for larger picture go to my profile and click on album)

I never looked that closely at it. That’s classic. Great pic and I think that hairstyle is starting to come back!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never looked that closely at it. That’s classic. Great pic and I think that hairstyle is starting to come back!

lol... did you see the large picture in my album ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread