Different types of spikes....anyone know ages ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hvaing to chose between sites being worked by treasure hunters on a very specific site, on two fleets from 1715 and 1733, and dozens other excavated around the world by archaeologists AND all the lists of shipbuilding regarding Spanish ships pre-1770s, I would not chose the former as reliable.

Professionaly, if asked my academic opinion, I would go for either cross contamination or someone "salting the site".

Sorry, folks, that is how it is.

Just edited that... It seems AS you were typing a response Alex. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, there you go. Applying Occam's razor, that's your explanation, right there.

Saying 1733 Spanish ships were copper alloyed fastened because "they could be and experts know nothing", in spite of not a single example ever having been found, either from documentation or from archaeological sites its like saying that 1733 Spanish ships had center board engines because, well, because they could be and experts know nothing.

There have been hundreds upon hundreds of these recovered... they have been consistently found near or on MULTIPLE wreck sites dating from 1715 THROUGH 1733...

I find it VERY hard to swallow the theory that multiple wrecks produce these AS A RESULT of multiple wrecks of this period ALL BEING contaminated by multiple OTHER wrecks ... ALL locations nowhere near each other ALL producing these.

They have been found from the 1960's and are still found today... heck I think last week someone found one... heh... I find it VERY odd and a very narrowed vision that is LACKING to think anything from this period of time is "absolute".

Researchers are still learning new things everyday about this time period... let alone "exactly how" every time everything was done... Researchers have been and are the first to admit when asked about this and MOST time periods... "how little they really know in the grand scheme of things".

To say something is "empirical fact" when so little is "absolute knowledge"... is almost like someone wearing horse blinders...
The REAL fact is... archeological data is re-written everyday... but yet the possibility of it being re-written here is out of the question.

I am a firm believer that change is the only constant... and it was never limited to ONE place or time.

Look... I am not saying that an entire ship was made using these... I am just pointing out the fact that they are there... and must have been used in some capacity.
And do not believe the "contamination" of multiple wrecks o the same period in different locations with the same type of spikes.

I could see a "few spikes" "here and there"... OR maybe one wreck having some "spike contamination"... BUT hundreds at various locations ? I mean come on... :/

Also... I don't see these spikes coming up on other wrecks. of various time periods...
unless they were made using the spikes in question to begin with.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in some cases ----its is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool then to speak and remove all doubt :BangHead: on this matter I side with AARC AND BLAK BART....

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about 2 spikes I'd found on the back side of Los Cerrillos NM in the 1990s. Since then, a Coronado site was found, probably was in Texas. The spikes identifies the site as Coronado, because the spikes known as tee head spikes. Is this because the spike head is shaped like a golf tee? If not, what type of spike has like a golfing tee shape head? Coronado did search for an old Indian turquoise mine in the same area. Found 2 of the golf tee head spikes, but left them there not knowing if important.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across this today... thought I would share... heh

nails.PNG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And since I am on this note... all found on the wrecksite areas by ONE GUY over a period of many years... posted 7 years ago on 1715 beach report.

Thought you might also like seeing this... beings I am posting on this... throw this in as well.

KspikesD.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and this...

This is actually in a database labeled... "ship spikes of the1715 fleet".

1715fleetSpikes.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some new ones too. Got a cool one last week almost has a perfect diamond shape on the head from skilled blows by a skilled craftsman. 20201116_074203.jpg
20201116_074240.jpg
I have herd of spike heads being marked with stars and diamond shapes purposefully? Here's a gret big iron one I've preserved. 20201116_074046.jpg check out the folds in the metal and the color change on one side of the spike. 20201116_074042.jpg 20201116_074049.jpg
And here's the tip of an obvious muntz fastener.....brittle and snapped off...no bend to it. And the bright yellow of muntz metal !! 20201116_074035.jpg
And finally an iron spike from above the tide line....well kept in the dry sand and only a little oil on it. 20201116_074054.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions