Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A good friend of mine was hired by Greg Brooks to check it out. She went down there on the MV Sea Diamond. She found the wreck 5 miles south of Sand Key. Problem is that part of the wreck is scattered in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Nothing more came of it. Part of the manifest lists 235 gold bars as property of the King of Spain.

Last edited:

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be very interesting to know the primary source (archive, bundle # and page number) of this shipwreck, particularly cargo documents.

OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bringing this back up. Seems like a hell of a lot of stuff sitting down there and people know where it is ..

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I do not understand why people do this, why would offer yourself up to Spain or France your beat before you start, why not just file a claim for an unidentified abandoned vessel and get on with it.
I even think that filling a claim is not a good way to go as you're leaving the door open to an owner, better just put your boat over the top of it and go salvor in possession, then you're acting on behalf of the owner's' interests? The cargo has an owner in this case.

Nov 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've wondered about this story for awhile- because according to this excerpt- this ship was captured 14 years before it supposedly sank: https://militaryhistorynow.com/2016...sing-british-officer-made-a-fortune-from-war/

Peter Warren captured the Deliverance: The following day, (August 2nd, 1741) Warren secured his greatest prize, the*Notre Dame de la Déliverance, “of 22 guns and about 60 men, from Lima in the South Seas, for Which place she sailed from Cadiz in the year [1741]. She has on board in gold and silver upwards of £300,000 and a cargo of cocoa, Peruvian wool and Jesuits’ bark.” In total, the three ships combined were worth an estimated £600,000.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Vox veritas is right you need to know the source of the information on this shipwreck.

It is also possible that the ship did not sink but may be reordered as missing, there are a number of accounts in shipwreck books of ships sinking that were captured. Marx books are full of them, were reference to shipwrecks in different years with different names are all the one shipwreck.

Although, Many French ships were called after shrines to the Virgin Mary and in particular the shrine of Notre Dame de la Deliverance, near Caen, it was one that sailors prayed to, there are many stories of French ships in peril surviving after the crews prayed to the shrine of Notre Dame de la Deliverance, they believed the shrine had the power to save ships from shipwreck. Possibly the ship was replaced with a new ship of the same name, built for the same route or it may have been recaptured.

I would say who ever went after this has researched it and has their facts right, the previous ship that was captured merely confirms the wealth of treasure that was being shipped during this period in history.

I can't see how Spain or France could legally stop a salvage, Spain has abandoned the cargo, if they don’t intend to salvage the ship, then they can salvage the cargo, the cargo is at risk.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
well, did they ever intend to salvage it?

The common law doctrine of finds law
is available to a plaintiff in admiralty court
under the “savings to suitors” clause of the
Judiciary Act of 1789, which preserves the
common law remedy. Thus, a plaintiff is
permitted to plead both salvage law and
the law of finds, so that if the court denies
finds, salvage law can serve as a backup.

Last edited:

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was collaborating with Spain for archeo-sub projects, I looked for information on this "golden" shipwreck but did not find anything at all for 1755 (and there is much and complete information). Furthermore, José Carlos Millás in his work "Hurricanes of the Caribbean and adjacent regions, 1492-1800" denies that there was a hurricane on Nov. 1, 1755. So ?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread