PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat. Lots of buckles to choose from.
Looks like all parts of the buckle, including the prong and bar, are still visible in the x-ray, so probably brass?

Think it might be a San Miguel like this one?

Attachments

• 1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopScale_closeTongue4.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopScale_closeTongue4.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_NiceClearTongue5.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_NiceClearTongue5.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 28
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_Back_wScale1.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_Back_wScale1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 30

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always liked that buckle pete.....probably more goodies will come from there one day for you !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like all parts of the buckle, including the prong and bar, are still visible in the x-ray, so probably brass?

These types of buckles go by afew names... "spectacle buckle"..."figure 8 buckle"...(both stretched 8 and smashed / squatted)...

Both buckles... the one in X ray and yours seems to be Spanish.

The one in Xray... IMO... is 1720-1750... and a calle fuerte antiguo subtype

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC- "Attachments aren't valid" on the images.

Looks like some cobbs and a "crown" or hinge below the pair of cobbs for starters.
Here's a minor challenge for you- What type of buckle is that towards the top?

deleted posts and reposted.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh I forgot... the buckle you pictured IMO is a "heavy strap buckle"... Circa - 1700-1750... named a "SAN MIGUEL" buckle ... I think.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI....all mckees personal maps charts and treasure documents are in a big pullout drawer in the islamorada public library.....there very interesting and have alot of notations and yes there are Xs that mark treasure spots from the past !! A definite must see if you are gonna dive in arts foot steps. That little tiny library is a gold mine of treasure info.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I forgot... the buckle you pictured IMO is a "heavy strap buckle"... Circa - 1700-1750... named a "SAN MIGUEL" buckle ... I think.

Thanks AARC.
San Miguel is what my research called it also (with St. Augustine to the north), saying it was likely used in horse tack and bridles. Maybe that is why all parts were brass so it wouldn't rust out as the horses sweat or crossed water. I'm sure no one wanted to be charging into a heated battle and have a buckle fail and dump them on the ground! "Excuse me, may I have a hand up?" :laughing7:

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why yes sir please grab the tip of my sword !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

20200913_101355.jpg heres some really nice buckles from the 1733 fleet. These were part of an ornate carrige harness being shipped back to Spain from the new world.....they got alot of attention when I first recovered them.....probably some of the most ornate buckles found on the 33 fleet !!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous buckles Bart. They do have a Royal look to them. Those must have been a blast to come across.
I usually find that many "beer can buckles" each time I go out. But mine aren't so ornate, are aluminum color and oval in shape.
hand-holding-aluminum-pull-tab-260nw-1608069754.jpg

Thanks for all your well wishes for more goodies since I found that buckle last year. That was the week before Dorian. I never got a chance to post images of 5 little silvers I found about 6' from the buckle's location. All my insitu pics disappeared while detecting during Dorian. My phone did a factory reset or some such nonsense and it erased most images except the first video of sand starting to be cut by the wave action, while she sat on the Bahamas.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, Were the items in your hand in post #12 the items that were in the conglomerate?

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous buckles Bart. They do have a Royal look to them. Those must have been a blast to come across.
I usually find that many "beer can buckles" each time I go out. But mine aren't so ornate, are aluminum color and oval in shape.
View attachment 1863317

Thanks for all your well wishes for more goodies since I found that buckle last year. That was the week before Dorian. I never got a chance to post images of 5 little silvers I found about 6' from the buckle's location. All my insitu pics disappeared while detecting during Dorian. My phone did a factory reset or some such nonsense and it erased most images except the first video of sand starting to be cut by the wave action, while she sat on the Bahamas.

Pete, imagine in 300 yrs when our ancestors are detecting the beaches and find those "rare" pop tops, they will be ecstatic:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions