Is Gary Drayton right? Is there 1715 treasure in the Indian River?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim who we knew as BigDogDaddy(?) tried to get a river permit once. Tim went to board meetings about it. They don't want to give river permits and if they did, you will be told you can't keep anything.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides... there has been sightings of a "patrol" working the area...

Photo taken by spear fisherman of a White at Sebastian Inlet.

asn2-great-white-shark.jpg

And then there is this other one patrolling the sand... heh

great-white-shark.jpg

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dove with Katharine the Great White Shark about 4 years ago off of Treasure Shores/Vero area... up until that moment, I had no idea Great Whites were that close to shore... I was in 22 feet of water! Needless to say, I got out for the rest of the day that day... freaked me out!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dove with Katharine the Great White Shark about 4 years ago off of Treasure Shores/Vero area... up until that moment, I had no idea Great Whites were that close to shore... I was in 22 feet of water! Needless to say, I got out for the rest of the day that day... freaked me out!

I too had one white experience... (errr hmmm that doesn't sound right at all) :P

Anyway... I will attest.. seeing a shark of any kind checking you out is a moment where the fear / respect adrenaline kicks in... and if not... your basically are already bait... and should

But there is something about a white that dumps that feeling on double when seeing one with / near you.

Bulls also have this same effect as a white.

In comparison... I have seen over the years mostly hammers and they don't creep me half as bad.

I often think / imagine a tiger would effect me if I were to ever see one of those.. and hope I never do.

Just knowing the "modus operandi" of each species seems to enhance these feelings... I am sure.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone that watches WESH TV Channel 2 Daytona Beach has seen their just off shore yearly mass shark migration videos filmed from an airplane with unaware swimmers in the water just a few yards away.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent years, it seems that more whites are gathering, along the east coast and even farther north, just out a little from swimmers at beaches.

Black Jack James

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was watching an episode of Expedition Unknown and Gary Drayton was featured. He claims in the episode he has found 1715 fleet artifacts in the mangrove swamps of the Indian River lagoon system that apparently washed over during the original hurricane or possibly subsequent ones.

What do you knowledgeable locals say???
Knowledgeable pirates could give half a rats ass what a transplant from the U.K thinks or knows. Since 1979 my uncle has figured out a plethora of knowledge about the wrecks that has produced enough artifacts to fill a museum.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I worked on that episode of Expedition Unknown, mostly on the Chris James segment. My buddy, Terry Wildey ran the boat on the Greg Bounds segment. I had nothing to do with the Drayton segment, but the spot they were supposed to be working is visible from the park across the street. That segment was nothing but fantasy on several levels.
So..if the question is "are there 1715 artifacts up the San Sebastian River in the mangroves', I would say 99.91% unlikely. I fish up there a good bit and the river was never very deep, The whole river is about 12 miles long (excepting the C-54 Canal which is a new construction) and empties into the IRL which is about 4 ft deep on average. I can't imagine a way for a current to develop the velocity needed to cut the river bottom deeper than the estuary that the river empties into, so nothing sailed over this way and sank..
On the question "Are there 1715 artifacts in the IRL". Probably.
The IRL was almost pure fresh water at Sebastian at that time. There was no Inlet as we know it now.
If
there was an inlet south of where the Inlet is now, it would have been very narrow and very very shallow. After years of work and hundreds of barges full of coquina it still standed completely closed during WW2 to the point it took 3 years to open it back up.
This is a picture of the Sebastian Inlet in 1946
1945 Aerial Sebastian Inlet Closed.jpg

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are definately 1715 materials in the IRL in certain areas (confirmed) and I’ve heard stories of materials found up the Sebastian River as well (unconfirmed) but absolutely agree with Ropesfish that the segment on Expedition Unknown was not factual... just my two cents...

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked on that episode of Expedition Unknown, mostly on the Chris James segment. My buddy, Terry Wildey ran the boat on the Greg Bounds segment. I had nothing to do with the Drayton segment, but the spot they were supposed to be working is visible from the park across the street. That segment was nothing but fantasy on several levels.
So..if the question is "are there 1715 artifacts up the San Sebastian River in the mangroves', I would say 99.91% unlikely. I fish up there a good bit and the river was never very deep, The whole river is about 12 miles long (excepting the C-54 Canal which is a new construction) and empties into the IRL which is about 4 ft deep on average. I can't imagine a way for a current to develop the velocity needed to cut the river bottom deeper than the estuary that the river empties into, so nothing sailed over this way and sank..
On the question "Are there 1715 artifacts in the IRL". Probably.
The IRL was almost pure fresh water at Sebastian at that time. There was no Inlet as we know it now.
If
there was an inlet south of where the Inlet is now, it would have been very narrow and very very shallow. After years of work and hundreds of barges full of coquina it still standed completely closed during WW2 to the point it took 3 years to open it back up.
This is a picture of the Sebastian Inlet in 1946
View attachment 1879493

I noticed the circular area of water north of the inlet in 1945. Is that circular area what is used as the tidal swimming area today?
I've added some arrows to your image.

ps. In February I was talking to some construction workers at Boppy's about the road work they were working on this year by McClarty. He said the original plan of installing a 1/2" thick vinyl seawall on the river side (being installed to deter erosion) had to be reworked. The rocks/coquina/reef were only down about 7' and they could not drive the vinyl planks through it no matter what they tried. That is why they went to a formed and poured concrete one that seems to double as a sidewalk.
I don't know if it is tied to the underlying rock/reef with rebar, but I would imagine it has to be to keep from being undermined.

Attachments

• Ropesfish-1945 Aerial Sebastian Inlet ClosedArrows.jpg
    Ropesfish-1945 Aerial Sebastian Inlet ClosedArrows.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are definately 1715 materials in the IRL in certain areas (confirmed) and I’ve heard stories of materials found up the Sebastian River as well (unconfirmed) but absolutely agree with Ropesfish that the segment on Expedition Unknown was not factual... just my two cents...

I don't watch much TV and did not even know Expedition Unknown existed until a few weeks ago. Now that I've watched a few episodes, I take anything I see on it with a huge grain of salt. They did an entire episode searching for Gasparilla's treasure without ever bothering to mention that the entire Gasparilla legend is almost certainly pure B.S.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't watch much TV and did not even know Expedition Unknown existed until a few weeks ago. Now that I've watched a few episodes, I take anything I see on it with a huge grain of salt. They did an entire episode searching for Gasparilla's treasure without ever bothering to mention that the entire Gasparilla legend is almost certainly pure B.S.

Well, they also chase bigfoot, ghost, and UFOs, sooooo :dontknow:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the circular area of water north of the inlet in 1945. Is that circular area what is used as the tidal swimming area today?
I've added some arrows to your image.

ps. In February I was talking to some construction workers at Boppy's about the road work they were working on this year by McClarty. He said the original plan of installing a 1/2" thick vinyl seawall on the river side (being installed to deter erosion) had to be reworked. The rocks/coquina/reef were only down about 7' and they could not drive the vinyl planks through it no matter what they tried. That is why they went to a formed and poured concrete one that seems to double as a sidewalk.
I don't know if it is tied to the underlying rock/reef with rebar, but I would imagine it has to be to keep from being undermined.

didn't one of Bernard Romans maps show a natural inlet on the island opposite the sebastian river?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing about particularly thin barrier islands... once awash... and circumstances are right... a new channel can be born and an existing one closed... happens rarely but can and does happen... and will almost certainly happen at some point with all barrier islands that are not "maintained"... this can happen several times over... especially over 3 hundred year span.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didn't one of Bernard Romans maps show a natural inlet on the island opposite the sebastian river?

I'm not sure. But his map from the cover of the "Winter Beach Salvage Camp" doesn't have an inlet at all and the strip of beach (south of the image above) is drawn pretty wide, so I'm not sure how precise this cover image is.

That's the thing about particularly thin barrier islands... once awash... and circumstances are right... a new channel can be born and an existing one closed... happens rarely but can and does happen... and will almost certainly happen at some point with all barrier islands that are not "maintained"... this can happen several times over... especially over 3 hundred year span.
I agree wholeheartedly with AARC.
Mother nature will put the inlet wherever she da*n well pleases when there is a strip of sand this narrow. The "inlet" could have been along the entire thin strip or a portion of it, like a disappearing infinity horizon pool. Also, the narrow strip of island at McClarty is probably a little wider than previously because of A1A.

Attachments

• Infinity+pool+meets+the+ocean.jpg
    Infinity+pool+meets+the+ocean.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
So many people believe that the shoreline features stay the same ! They can change drastically in just in a lifetime, so think what might happen in 300 years !!

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There would have to be a lot of gold to get me to dive in that sewer.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There would have to be a lot of gold to get me to dive in that sewer.

Two guys sitting in a 2 holer out house. One guy hiked up his pants and as he did a quarter popped from his pocket and went right in the hole!! He promptly pulled out his wallet and tossed a !0 spot right in the hole. The other guy asked "What the heck you do that for!" The guy answered. " Cuz I ain't gonna climb down there for just a quarter.................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread