400 Year Old Ship Found Virtually Intact.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Absolutely amazing story. The last few seconds of the video, as the camera moves directly overheard, is incredible!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Edde, that was an amazing video. I've had dreams very similar to that. :D

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Cornelius said:
And it is the neck of my woods . Cornelius

Not only on your(our) side of the pond - its also almost as old as you and probably also of dutch origin. ;)

/V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Cornelius. Whats your take on the missing guns? This ship was/is richly decorated indicating a rich shipowner of high status yet it carried no guns.

/V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Cornelius said:
Voldbjerg , if it is as old as I am ( a little older I guess ) and it is Dutch , it must be good . Are'nt we lucky it sank on our side of the pond ;) Cornelius

Youre right - sitting as good as new on the bottom of the sea after 400 years it is good. Too bad your guys dont make cars ;)

Too bad the wreck is so deep - 120 meters is a bit out of range of the normal diver.

/V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Cornelius said:
Was it salvaged before and nothing was mentioned about that , or is part of the cargo perishable and long gone .

At 120 meters depth i dont think it have been salvaged.

/V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Cornelius said:
Voldbjerg . There was no use for cannon . To have cannon on board was quite expensive . You needed men to handle them and you had to buy powder and cannon balls . Since this was just a trader that sailed in relative quite waters ( as far as raiders was concerned ) they left the cannon off .

This summer i dived on a Flute just of elsinore. It is believed to be a Dutch trader and it carried guns. You can see some pictures of the wreck on chagys picture thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,116916.0.html.

BTW I think it would be a stretch to call these quite waters. Denmark and Sweden are the two countries in the world that have spend most time fighting each others in history - i guess all brothers fight ;D. Dominance of the Baltic was often the issue.

/V

OP
OP
E

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW
I'm glad you guys all enjoyed this post
I did not expect any "miles" from it :D 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread