vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard felix1345! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_link.gif
While you are waiting for some recommendations - searched
tn_02.gif
and found many threads. Here are just 3 of many - yes, they are dated but will give you something to read while waiting for responses...

Rüdiger

Feb 15, 2016
Sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Felix

With a search depth of 500m, however, you play in the professional league, all equipment then becomes very expensive.
Try to find a professional partner and negotiate a cooperation agreement that is worthwhile for both parties. If you want the load of mountains, think about the possible legal situation. In the end, often only the lawyers get rich.

mvh
Rudiger

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unless your very familiar with the equipment and the programs involved...do yourself a favor. Hire a Professional to do the survey work. The equipment needed for a job like that will run 75K plus, and that is JUST the SSS...not including operator, ship, etc etc etc...

JMO....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to treasurenet !!
Determine if it's best to hire an independent contractor or add that person as a partner to your effort.
I don't believe anyone will rent you the equipment unless you are a known professional, with SSS operational history; and still doubtful even if you are a known professional.
Don........

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran a number of side scan sonars when I was in the Navy. You can buy towed units that'll do the job, but it takes a trained crew to operate them. If you're asking then you should probably hire professionals to do the work. 500m really isn't that deep in the scheme of things, but most people dealing with them in treasure hunting related applications are normally working in much shallower waters. Even if you find a wreck or object of interest on the bottom you have no way of verifying what it is unless you also have a ROV and crew to operate it as well.

To get a decent entry level unit rated up to 1000m you're looking at about 100k USD, that doesn't include the handling gear that'll need to be mounted on a ship. A really good one with all the bells and whistles that price goes up very quickly. A dirt cheap one with a narrow swath and **** resolution will still probably be over 50k USD.

It also depends on what you want. You can burn a lot of fuel driving back and forth if you have a narrow swath coverage. The nice toys have things like 1km swaths though there are tradeoffs in the detail you get.

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your location? Fresh water or salt water?

Cmon guys, 500M isnt difficult, even for the Sportscans 872 (300m) Imagenex 878, (1000m) or Blackfins (1000m...)

Cable length is the biggest issue with the size of the drum...
These are all relatively inexpensive fish...

You can easily find a Sportscan or a Shark for $3500 to $5000 US.

Why the expert use needed for that depth???

https://imagenex.com/products/878-sidescan-sonar

Last edited:

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your location? Fresh water or salt water?

Cmon guys, 500M isnt difficult, even for the Sportscans 872 (300m) Imagenex 878, (1000m) or Blackfins (1000m...)

Cable length is the biggest issue with the size of the drum...
These are all relatively inexpensive fish...

You can easily find a Sportscan or a Shark for $3500 US.

Why the expert use needed for that depth???

https://imagenex.com/products/878-sidescan-sonar

They make them that cheap? I admit my experience is only with the stuff the Navy used when I was in and for UUV units. I can't imagine they'd have a large swath width at that price though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread