Sipwrecks in Samana Bay - help needed

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello,

Does anybody have any information about any registered shipwreck around Samana Bay, on the northern coast of actual Dominican Republic? I DO NOT mean 1724 Galleons "Tolosa", "Guadaloupe" and "Scipion". There were some other treasure shipwrecks around this area including some pirates´ships (like for example pirates Banister or Cofresi, that lost their ships inside the Samana Bay).
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lobo (Bobadilla)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
of course theres the 1609 navio of 84 tons ---San Vicente Ferrer--- under Capt Gaspar Alvarez which left puerto rico headed for havana, cuba (and was then to go home to spain) -- on the PR to havana leg the vessel wrecked near samana bay -- the vessel was a loss but the crew survived.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
note earler--- you asked in a differant post about monti christi--- 1747 english privateer forced a large french privateer ashore but the crew was saved

unknown name -- spanish nao lost in 1721 -- was bound to vera cruz coming from spain-- wrecked in samana bay

August 1772 --28 french vessels were lost near the northwest tip of the island in a violent gale , 280 bodies washed ashore the following morning

1817 french vessel -- Jean Marie--- Capt Bowie commanding was lost on the coast neat samana bay --the crew and part of the cargo saved

1818 american vessel -- Latona --capt Low commanding was lost while headed from london to new orleans --crew saved

many vessels were lost near Cape Francois over the years --if your interested in them

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Don and Ivan,

Thanks you VERY MUCH for your information. I am doing my private research about this area and your info really helped me. Now I know what to look for in local archives of Puerto Plata. Area of Samana was place of many pirate activities in the past and also of many losses of Spanish galleons. According to local fishermen, the whole coast around Miches is literally litered with shipwrecks. The shipwrecks of "Nuestra señora de Guadaloupe", "Conde de Tolosa" and French men-of-war "Scipion" were discovered there just thanks to information of local fishermen. Again and again, these guys are prime source of valuable information about sunken ships in the field anywhere in the world.
One more time, THANKS a lot!

Lobo

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
fishermans "snag spots" where their nets get hung up often can be very useful indeed, shrimpers are prime folks to "chat up" with a few el presidente beers or a bit of brugal rum for lip grease to help let something "slip out" ;) Ivan

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ivan:
You're right. It has been my experience that 'Snag and Hang Reports' are kept 'secret'; so as to avoid going over the same spot twice--but fishing crews may not sharing that information with 'competitors'--for the obvious reason. Perhaps evidence of that 'policy' is to witness the various 'layers' of nets over some 'snags'. One wreck out on this coast is so covered with nets that we lost precious ROV time just trying to count the number of nets covering a vessel.

Getting a hold of that Report is vital information for it may not be another fishing vessel under those nets, but the target you seek.
Don.....

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bobadilla, According to Tracy Bowden and Burt Webber, there is also a Spanish Treasure Galleon that sunk in that general area in the late 1500's.
Burt will be in the DR for another week if you can find him, he might give you some info on it.

I know it is located in Tracy Bowdens permitted area.

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Ivan,

You seem to be quite familiar with the popular drinks in our island - cold Presidente beer and Brugal rhum..... Have you been there before? By the way, you are absolutely right that these two "convincing tools" are the best to open the mouth and refresh the minds of old local fishermen.....

Back to the topic - "Golden Fleece" was flagship of famous English pirate Joseph (Jack) Bannister. The place where he held his heroic fight against two Royal Navy frigates is known till our days as "Bannister Cays". There are inside Samana Bay. The history was a little different from the internet source mentioned here in this topic, though. The frigates did not sale away after they finished their gun powder, but Bannister with the rest of his wounded crew managed to escape with long boat to close mangroves channels. It was too shallow for frigates there to chase him so he was safe again. His ship, Golden Fleece was converted in Emental cheese and sunk in the Bay during the battle.

Regards,
Lobo

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
old man said:
Bobadilla, According to Tracy Bowden and Burt Webber, there is also a Spanish Treasure Galleon that sunk in that general area in the late 1500's.
Burt will be in the DR for another week if you can find him, he might give you some info on it.

I know it is located in Tracy Bowdens permitted area.

Hello Old man,

Thanks for info. I will meet Burt sooner or later again when my friend Chagy will come here to Santo Domingo so I will definitely ask him about this treasure galleon. But as I know Burt is working a little far from the coast...... My prime interest lies in costal waters and surroundings of Samana bay. Thanks anyway!

Best regards,
Lobo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread