Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing incompatible with the copper alloy sheathing and the copper alloy spike. The British began retrofitting all their warships with bronze fasteners by 1786 precisely because of the introduction of copper sheathing. While the possibility of cross contamination can not be ruled out, more than likely you have relics from a British warship that sank sometime after Oct 1793 or 1795.

Can you tell if the small tacks used to fasten the sheathing to the hull are hand made or machine made?

Also, look very closely...there is a chance you might see a mark on a spike...

Gidday Jolly Mon

Good point the sheathing nail square cut or round machine cut nail? As for the sheathing it might pay to look closely and markings on the sheet where it was joined to others.

On your copper sheet you may be able to see where each sheet over lapped? The overlap on the vertical ends “faced aft” to help reduce water being forced into the joint and lifting the sheets. On merchant ships the horizontal joints faced down, while the British Royal Navy applied horizontal joints that faced upwards. So, when the sheeting is found attached to the hull, it not only allows a determination to be made as to the bow and stern but whether the vessel was part of the merchant service.

The arrangement of the tacks (nails) on the sheets varied considerably between shipyards and over time. some are 2-inches apart along each edge (i.e. the overlap) and 4-inches apart on the main part of the sheet and the rows are staggered, which was fairly typical.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a early machine cut nail

Early-Machine-Cut-Nail-Irregular-Taper-383-Je.jpg

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some various manufactures mark in copper sheeting. All these was recovered from the same vessel HMS Victory launched in 7 May 1765; Over the life of the vessel several companies produced copper sheeting. Bibby and Sons was probably around 1807. But earlier sheeting came from Vivian and sons South Wales Swansea. And another company I cannot make the name out.

1405-2854bibaa.jpg

1410-2855vivaa.jpg

1412-2850lambaa.jpg

The point is manufacturer marks are not 100% reliable in determining the age of a vessel because depending on the life of the vessel re sheathing of the hull can be made several times over the life of the ship.

Crow

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a early machine cut nail

View attachment 1879516

Crow

Good stuff, Crow.

Actually, I am not trying to determine the age of the ship.

I am trying to determine when the ship sank.

If the copper alloy sheathing in the photos was attached to the wreck, the wreck had to have occurred sometime after Oct. 1793 or 1795.

If the tacks employed to fasten the sheathing to the hull are hand made rather than machine made, then the wreck probably occurred before 1815.

I hope I don't come across as being a "know it all" because I am not.

I have just been interested in this subject for a very long time.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday jolly Mon I am by no means an expert my self as there is much for me still to learn. Especially earlier ships of pre Napoleonic era. As my interest is around 1800 to 1900.

So all good amigo.

But what's with those dates you mention? Is that the transition period from hand made nail to machine made nails?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Jolly Mon

Good point the sheathing nail square cut or round machine cut nail? As for the sheathing it might pay to look closely and markings on the sheet where it was joined to others.

On your copper sheet you may be able to see where each sheet over lapped? The overlap on the vertical ends “faced aft” to help reduce water being forced into the joint and lifting the sheets. On merchant ships the horizontal joints faced down, while the British Royal Navy applied horizontal joints that faced upwards. So, when the sheeting is found attached to the hull, it not only allows a determination to be made as to the bow and stern but whether the vessel was part of the merchant service.

The arrangement of the tacks (nails) on the sheets varied considerably between shipyards and over time. some are 2-inches apart along each edge (i.e. the overlap) and 4-inches apart on the main part of the sheet and the rows are staggered, which was fairly typical.

Crow

I should add after Napoleonic wars and war of 1812 many surplus navy ships was sold off until totally worn out. So some navy vessels became merchant ships would have naval style coppering on thier hull.

Crow

OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
One that is good at finding bottle tops.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing incompatible with the copper alloy sheathing and the copper alloy spike. The British began retrofitting all their warships with bronze fasteners by 1786 precisely because of the introduction of copper sheathing. While the possibility of cross contamination can not be ruled out, more than likely you have relics from a British warship that sank sometime after Oct 1793 or 1795.

Can you tell if the small tacks used to fasten the sheathing to the hull are hand made or machine made?

I think the tacks are hand made as they are not uniform.

OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did think I could see the broad arrow, but i don't think there is. I have a couple of iron spikes clearly marked with the broad arrow.

OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Jolly Mon

Crow

I shall have a closer look after work, I don't remember seeing a visible overlap.

OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Paul

Here is a picture of the spike below

View attachment 1879505

Crow

The points do look to be similar in shape, I have also found a lot of lead sheet fragments like the ones in your picture, which again makes me think there are several wrecks there.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pallas
I thought it may have been HMS Pallas.

That appears to be a strong contender most likely the vessel in question. The Severn was wrecked in channel islands in 1804. Just recently some of her sheathing was found. Here is some pictures below. She would of been a close contemporary HMS Pallas.

_103793325_copperplates2.jpg

_103793323_copperplates1.jpg

_103801088_img_1711.jpg

That said there was several HMS Severn the fate of which was uncertain.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Paul and Jolley both your posts have been very thought provoking. It has even helped me a little more in understanding my own research into a later shipwreck in another part of the world.

Cheers Crow

OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did find this quite interesting as there is also a Dutch wreck close to where I found the sheathing.

OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20201115_183924.jpg
    20201115_183924.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201115_183846 (1).jpg
    20201115_183846 (1).jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201115_183829 (1).jpg
    20201115_183829 (1).jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
Small Adventures

Small Adventures

Apr 24, 2016
Plymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A different spike from another site but what i expected to see with the broad arrow.

Attachments

• 20201115_183719 (1).jpg
    20201115_183719 (1).jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201115_183724 (1).jpg
    20201115_183724 (1).jpg
    521 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201115_183729 (1).jpg
    20201115_183729 (1).jpg
    505 KB · Views: 35

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday jolly Mon I am by no means an expert my self as there is much for me still to learn. Especially earlier ships of pre Napoleonic era. As my interest is around 1800 to 1900.

So all good amigo.

But what's with those dates you mention? Is that the transition period from hand made nail to machine made nails?

Crow

Yes, exactly. Machine cut fasteners came on the scene around 1815.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I am a moron.

The tacks ARE hand made. They HAVE to be. They were used to attach sheathing that was applied in 1793 or 1795. So they prove nothing. Sometimes we over think these things...

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Paul

The thick mud must of had low oxygen levels in the mud thus preserved the copper sheathing from oxidation. Usually when exposed to harsh saltwater oxygenated environment over time the copper goes from green to black.

Good point you made of the possibility of cross contamination of different shipwrecks? But it could also could be possible a long serving ship had a mixture of components replaced over time. Thus straddling a transitioning period of various shipbuilding technologies.

View attachment 1879423

View attachment 1879428

I am interested in your spike . As it mirrors one I have not the one in the picture above.That vessel collectedly dated around 1830's to 1840's period.

Try to hunt down a the following book

McCarthy, M. 2005. Ships’ Fastenings: From Sewn Boat to Steamship. Texas A&M University Press. He has a very detailed description of the types and nature of fastenings, historical context, and much more.

Crow

The book your referring to is in my thread....these two threads could be combined
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/640187-different-types-spikes-anyone-know-ages.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread