sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not heard of that one sounds interesting though. I just started reading, "Shadow Divers", so far very good.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Wife got me a early birthday present – she is so good to me *

L. Frank Hudson was an interesting guy..

Peter Leo and I found a sketch of what we thought was our first 4 cannon spatter in his book - that was published before we actually discovered the cannons in the summer of 1987 - so we thought we should meet with him... Turns out he was one of the original "spooks" and was involved with the O.A.S during WW2! { Quite a few treasure hunters were or are either want-to-be or were real "spooks"...}

It was really interesting talking with Frank in Saint Petersburg... Of course he wanted a retainer for some more complete research on where he had gotten the info on the cannon sketch... When he started talking about the Nazi, Hitler and the "hollow earth theory" Peter and I decided to put our money into supplies for recovering coins rather than more research...

Most treasure hunters end up " embellishing " some of their yarns as they get on in years... One can't blame them as most everyone views them as crack pots, if they actually survive to become older...

Yeah, Frank was an interesting guy...

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
even crazy folks can have some good info at times

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My philosophy in general when dealing with treasure hunters;
assume it is a lie unless you can prove it is correct. First hand experience by fighting an Admiralty suit against Robert Marx!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just started reading, "Shadow Divers", so far very good.
Great read. That book convinced me I would rather drown than die of DCS.

Kurson did embellish quite a bit, and took some liberties with the facts. But I guess that's what it takes to make the New York Times bestseller list.

If you want the real story, check out Gary Gentile's "Shadow Divers Exposed".

41YY61wft0L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read. That book convinced me I would rather drown than die of DCS.

Kurson did embellish quite a bit, and took some liberties with the facts. But I guess that's what it takes to make the New York Times bestseller list.

If you want the real story, check out Gary Gentile's "Shadow Divers Exposed".

View attachment 1896781

Thx Boat!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is the shipwreck treasure on the Gulf side of Florida? Some think there is no treasure in the waters of the Florida Gulf. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't archaeologist have to dig down 10 feet, to reach that older Spanish ship off Pensacola?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210205_182927.jpg check out the wapping 1.95$ price on mine.....interesting read to say the least. I will say this...I once wanted to track down a certain story that I knew was probably bull.....along the way in my search, I actually stumbled on to an unrelated treasure that was very real. Point is.....had I not got out and poked around i would have found nothing. Books like this get people off the couch. So if adventure is what you seek, then this book is full of it. Pick a mission and get out there and have an adventure.....if your lucky you might actually find something on your adventure. Treasure is a bonus !!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its not $1.95 any more bart --checkout ebay prices lately … I got a deal on mine person in Michigan had no clue as to it present day value

my personal library has a lot of high vale and rare books with very scarce knowledge which I use for doing my research--not all knowledge comes form any one book often its a bit here and a bit there pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread