why is good research often the last thing on treasure hunters mind typically ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
good solid historically valid leads backed by documents and sea charts / maps can save a huge amount of time effort and money ( all 3 of which are limited items)--in a few cases my reaserch has saved people vast sums of money ( one a nice lady was searching for a shipwreck that had already been found and claimed and was also in waters were by law it could not be legally salvaged even if she had been the first finder … getting the search area narrowed down to a small area can save thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars -- once the proper research was done correctly mel fisher rapidly found ATOCHA

Rüdiger

Feb 15, 2016
Sweden
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ivan

Absolutely correct, first a good research then it's time to search.

mvh
Rüdiger

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can one search for an item w/o knowing about it ...Without researching it first ???

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The historian's work is looked down upon and its vital information is always tried to be deceived. Many "tricksters" took advantage of these historians. I know more than one!ç

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why do researchers always want to sell research, surely if you have faith in your work, a percentage would be the best reward? It is all about backing your self, having faith in your work.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A researcher may sell his research because he would then be assured of payment.
Best world is to be paid a minimum satisfactory fee up front AND demand a %.
Been there.
Don.......
PS: Another reason: The research is not the one controlling the accounting; therefore, he has no idea regarding the accuracy of the NET to be divided. In most cases, there is no NET. So, to be sure of being compensated versus just giving away one's research, get a payment up front.

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Why do researchers always want to sell research, surely if you have faith in your work, a percentage would be the best reward? It is all about backing your self, having faith in your work.

A researcher may sell his research because he would then be assured of payment.

I think you also have to separate the two elements involved, i.e. research and sales. Research is no less work than is sales, and should be compensated for what it is. I also think most "researchers" are in essence, employees under contract with a university or company. Percy Julian was a brilliant chemist, who worked for Glidden for many years. In the course of that work he received more than 100 patents, for which he was paid $1 each. Glidden retained the rights to the fruits of his labor. So if you are a self employed researcher, you would get an income stream off the patents, rights and sales. If you work for someone else you get the best contract compensation you can negotiate. And some researchers love researchifying, but hate things like sales, manufacture and operating a business. They might even be a walking foxtrot of a clustered nature in those areas. If that's the case they should sell their research for the best price they can get and stick to what they know.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have a friend who had excellent research and did just this. Once the company had his research, they shut down the company, thus nullifying all contracts. Then they opened another company, and went and found the treasure. They cut him out. After the lawyers, he never got anything to speak of. I hope this answers your question.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So really if the researcher's sell's his research, he is still open to all the negativities above, in reality he will only get a small rewarded for his work. I suppose it all comes down to the sarks that are out there, your friends experience brings to mind ,Lee Spence and the SS Republic, but then that also shows the other side of things if you consider his involvement with Galleon quest, he loses out in both case one from not getting paid out and the other side his reputation gets damaged.

Really, it's the world we live in, shipwreck exploration is no different than any other aspect of life there are people you can trust and there are people who would take your eye out and come back and crap in the hole, so to speak.

Ive been very lucky with the people Ive worked with, but I'd say the majority on this site are credible and honest, maybe you need a Treasure Net cooperative, you all know who the good guys are on here. I always look forward to the guy's posts in this thread and practically Ivan Salis whom I'm sure has research that is worth money, we are just missing AARC. thank s for your insight, I can say I agree with what you all have said, but it still I would rather take the chance then keep it tucked up in a drawer?

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
because many folks have very inventive ways of cooking the books … they will say oh you will get 5% of the net recovery then .. say a 1000 item is found .. by the time all the expenses are deducted oddly they only made $2 net profiet so you get 10 cents also you might give them the info and for one reason or another the project flops not getting off the ground but now your info has been given and is out there and now they no longer need you in the mix so they use your info ( telling it to others who find the stuff giving them a cut backdoor style ) and you get zippo

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this business, treasure hunting, has always been full of interlopers, false claims, and false companies...

Research is a tough call...who to sell to, what to sell...how to protect...

Personally, for the research, I copyright the research on the wreck location, and potential ID.

I then can sell the right right to recover the vessel/location, but keep the rights to the vessel and location. This way, if the recovery company changes names, I dont care, I own the rights to any recovery of that location or vessel name...(always include the et al to the name!).

Its kindof a poor mans Admiralty Arrest, but I wont go through the Arrest process on research! (and you cant!)

There are plenty of caveats in the contract, and I try to protect myself as much as as I can (adding periodic dives to the contract ) but, as one knows, it is the open ocean...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread