Atocha Coin??

Red-Eye-Jedi

Mar 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys. Hope this is the right place to get some answers.
I was digging at an old dump site neat where I live in Colorado and I found this coin. Doing a little research (very little) as I'm not a coin collector, I collect old bottles. I see this may possibly be a coin from the Atocha. I also am aware these coins were counterfeited on a large scale. The coin weighs 25.8 grams and is roughly the size of a Fifty cent piece. My questions about the coin are first of all is it real? If so what is the value of such a coin? Thanks in advance for any information on this coin. 35B9BB79-E571-4038-A3BA-DA3A3FB3CBC6.jpeg A6CBAA03-0A9E-4A80-81F8-8D5773952A36.jpeg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome to TNet! It's highly unlikely a coin from the Atocha found its way to Colorado. However, when that vessel came to grief she was loaded down with cob coins, and that is what you found! Nicely done! I recommend the classic book on the subject - the Segwick's Practical Book of Cobs. There's also a TNet Forum devoted to those.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First off...Welcome to the site..:hello:

OK..it's not from the Atocha, but then what is it?

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1630-T POTOSI BOLIVIA SPANISH COLONIAL 8 REALES SILVER COB, 27.6G ? weight and crack may indicate fake, moulded fake coins crack a lot.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, maybe not. I'd take it to a coin store and there would be nothing unusual about finding an out of place coin anywhere on planet Earth. I "lost" a 1715 plate fleet 8 reale in a pocket for 6 months. I didn't know it was missing. If I would have take the coat to the Goodwill or such, they would have had it.

People lose good stuff all the time. We even find an occasional Roman or Greek coin around here, mainly from kids getting ahold of them and losing them.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the crack is very suspect....the edges look like a cast coin

Can you take a picture of the edges?

Looks like it may be a cast coin, an novelty coin. 25.8 grams is a little light....those reales should be closer to 27.5 grams...

Buuut, and a big Butt it is...you never know!

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would post this in the Spanish Cobs subforum. There are plenty of experts there.

Unfortunately even if it came from the N.S. de Atocha you would need the Fisher COA to prove it.

Nice looking coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread