Re: Spaniard Don Tristan de Luna's

only 40 % of the wreck to be recovered --the rest left there -- sad --- Ivan

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

The main reason why UWF is holding back from extensive excavation and exploration of these wrecks is due to one factor: self-preservation. Their marine archaeology program is by far the most robust in Florida and probably the US in terms of colonial shipwreck experience. The obvious advantage UWF has is the vast amount of colonial shipwrecks literally within a 30 minute boat ride from the campus itself. So as the exposure increases due to discoveries like these, there will be an exponential increase in funding and student recruiting.

Besides the two Emmanuel Point shipwrecks (DeLuna's ), there was a very large Spanish frigate discovered in 1997 also in Pensacola Bay. The ship was the Nuestra Senora de Rosario y Apostol that sank in Pensacola Bay during a hurricane in 1705. They did some superficial excavation of the wreck, then covered it in a heavy-duty tarpeline type fabric and backfilled the excavation with sand and ballast stones. They have not touched it since. This is money in the bank for the University since it guarantees a future field-school resource.

Good God...don't get me started....just do a search on some of my earlier posts and you can get a complete eye full of my ranting ;D

Pcolaboy

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Hey pcola ...I know right where your talking about ;) They did find this on the site... :o

Attachments

• srbox01.jpg
    srbox01.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 409
  • 01SRI0122.jpg
    01SRI0122.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 330

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

RELICDUDE07 said:
Hey pcola ...I know right where your talking about ;) They did find this on the site... :o

Relicdude...I'm familiar with the picture of the box that was found on the Rosario wreck. I think they took it down to Sacred Heart Hospital so that it could be xrayed and was found to contain iron nails, spikes, and other fasteners all fused together. I don't remember reading anything about the brass ring though. That's pretty neat.

Pcola

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Theres a artifacts list with about 10,000 artifacts found. Its online later/relic

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

RELICDUDE07 said:
Theres a artifacts list with about 10,000 artifacts found. Its online later/relic

Are you sure you're referring to the Rosario Wreck and not the Emmanuel Point wreck? I know that there have been that many artifacts found on the Emmanuel Point wreck. I'd be WAY surprised if they found that many on the Rosario since they did not even penetrate into the remains of the hold which is largely intact deep in the sand. They still have not found the stern of the Rosario which broke off after bow slammed into the sand. The wreck site is pretty cool though and HUGE.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

YES .its under santa rosa island wreck :)artifacts /photos :)

Attachments

• M-1.jpg
    M-1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 372
  • side.gif
    side.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 463

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

That is it pcola ...they have some pics of it too. Thats where i found the ring at... 2002 field season ...later/relic

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

RELICDUDE07 said:
That is it pcola ...they have some pics of it too. Thats where i found the ring at... 2002 field season ...later/relic

Ok then ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread