Metal Detecting

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SADS...WTF have you been!?!?!?!

Dorian blow you back to the stone age?

(PS...There are many lobo lobos on FB...none show DR)

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This wont upload his fb avatar but look for a wolf as the background and a guy in a row boat lying on his back asleep with his hat over his eyes

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is Bobadilla on this forum. You might try PMing him.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I hear stuff sometimes, but as far as I know there are people working on getting permits to work in the DR, but they have not been successful so far. Their Constitution forbids 'treasure hunting' in something over 10 places according to someone who has pursued a permit since the moratorium.
I'd love to see them open it up, but I wouldn't invest much time or treasure there until something new happens

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all said..pretty sure the DR waters are closed to recovery..

While most are open for permits on search and ID....that does not mean recovery ...

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In other words ...

CLOSED to ANY type of non UNESCO boug....errr...blessed search, identify, or recovery operations....did I get that right?

As of March 2021
https://en.unesco.org/system/files/countries/dom_facts_figures_0.pdf

The DR would have to change the constitution in order to Give UNESCO control and that would be treason, So could it happen ?

Also No contracts can be given until the case with ARS/GME is over, Is the DR done ? I can tell you who is not going to get a contract, and maybe who will but that is for another day.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are people that look for contents in the internet; then there are people that produce those contents; and then there are people in the know... ;)

Sooooo....this information is only available to the chosen few? I guess the rest of the lesser mere mortals are to live life in the dark.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Dominican Republic is NOT a member state of the 2001 Unesco Convention on the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage.

This is Alexandre, guys...

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
This process has been in the workings since 2017.

In 2019, the Constitutional Court of the DR declared the UNESCO Convention to be in accordance with the DR internal laws, so all obstacles were removed:

https://tribunalsitestorage.blob.core.windows.net/media/21500/tc-0612-19-tc-02-2019-0005.pdf

Remember: you read it first here. ;)

The Dominican Republic is NOT a member state of the 2001 Unesco Convention on the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage.

This is Alexandre, guys...

WRECKING

May 11, 2021
Switzerland
Detector(s) used
Custom
Primary Interest:
Other
Alexandre, I have a question: What is a shipwreck, or what is just some wreckage that could be recycled.
Recycled because it is harmful to the environment, the fish and other sea life and through the food chain finally harmful to people.
Examples, mercury, lead, copper etc.
Or recycled for art and decoration, like brass ship nails, copper sheeting, worm eaten timber.
A specific example:
Along the Gulf Stream, on the edge of the Bahama Banks, thousands of ships got wrecked. At South Riding Rocks, there is a ballast pile on the west side of the rock.
There is the bottom of a 1900's large ship on the East side of the rock. Fairly new timbers, oak, 3-4 inch planking. 10 inch brass, square nails. Really fantastic stuff to recycle and make into decorative art.
Then, also on the east side, old copper pins scattered over acres of sea bottom. Obviously the remains of an old shipwreck.
Scattered over the whole area, iron rigging, pins and nails from different shipwrecks.
Digging in the sand one finds nails and pins attached to pieces of burned wood, showing that the wreckers of old burned the shipwrecks to recycle whatever metals they could save.
Then there was a trail of lead ingots about 3-4 pounds each, starting at the South end of the rock and continuing, I don't know how far to the East. I suspect it to be ballast from a more modern boat or Yacht. I picked up 104 of them, that was all I could carry.
Lead is very harmful to all creatures and should always be removed, recycled!!!!!!

There are no anchors or cannon anywhere nearby.

There are hundreds of similar sites all along the Bahama Banks.
Should these areas or sites be considered as shipwrecks?
Should these sites be cleaned up of harmful debris?
Should these sites be free for all?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions