Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a magnet that only sticks to gold.....I could use it for a few years and then sell the technology for big bucks....after I have a vault full of gold !!:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::occasion14:

That magnet you speak of is my wife :BangHead::laughing7::tongue3:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck its not there anymore....hang on.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is a very expensive book out there, Something like, “Nails from sail to steam??”

Archie came through on the link, thanks Bart. For a grumpy bloke you’re ok!

Fastenings from sewn boat to steam!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20210727-101506_Drive.jpg im computer illiterate....I can't send the link....you'll have to download the pdf.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sands shift, coral grows, what was apparent yesterday may be hidden today, wrecks that broke apart and were scattered may not present an obvious signature, contents get strewn and scattered and washed away or washed up, etc etc. The subject of the thread is a tool - tools require skilled, knowledgeable, experienced users to be effective. Research, varied onsite experience, wisdom, ingenuity, and luck will continue to play the role they always have, regardless of what tools are employed - from eyeballs to the latest fancy tech.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sands shift, coral grows, what was apparent yesterday may be hidden today, wrecks that broke apart and were scattered may not present an obvious signature, contents get strewn and scattered and washed away or washed up, etc etc. The subject of the thread is a tool - tools require skilled, knowledgeable, experienced users to be effective. Research, varied onsite experience, wisdom, ingenuity, and luck will continue to play the role they always have, regardless of what tools are employed - from eyeballs to the latest fancy tech.

So I quickly went out and improvised my own twin optical scanning lidar unit !!:laughing7::laughing7: woooo hoooo !! Works for me pretty good !! 20210727_122249.jpg 20210727_122323.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I quickly went out and improvised my own twin optical scanning lidar unit !!:laughing7::laughing7: woooo hoooo !! Works for me pretty good !! View attachment 1939511 View attachment 1939512

Ya know Bart... this is how Kip Wagner found the first silver bars on the reef of the 1715... he cut a hole in a surfboard and made a "viewer"...

paddled out and viewed and viewed till he spotted the spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Ya know Bart... this is how Kip Wagner found the first silver bars on the reef of the 1715... he cut a hole in a surfboard and made a "viewer"...

He be kickin' in wildcatter style, just like the old timers did in the early oil well days. Of course, those wildcatters were known for making and losing fortunes over and over again, so I'm sure the analogy doesn't extend that far...

AcuMan

Jan 18, 2019
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, "not all that glitters is gold". They still have to fund the search for these wrecks identified by computer. I would say not to provide any information to the project

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
However, "not all that glitters is gold". They still have to fund the search for these wrecks identified by computer. I would say not to provide any information to the project

That raises a good question. Would you rather have an abundance of research that shows where a named ship might be wrecked, and have to spend your time following up on that research in any number of ways (such as scanning several hundred square miles), or have 100+ wreck sites known from AI/machine learning LIDAR in your pocket and have to research potential identities of those wrecks? This might be one of those things that divides along generational lines, but then again, maybe not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Looking at that piece of equipment, that one man can apparently handle by himself, I get the impression that this opens up the industry to "big box" type treasure hunting services a la Treasure Depot. Imagine how many of those units you could operate from one standard size vessel that is being used now. Let's say you could have 10 of them on a boat, all set to a different RF so they don't interfere with each other. 3 sets of backup batteries for each, and the potential for programming their area so a human doesn't have to remotely pilot it, at least constantly. How many square miles could be surveyed in a 2 week period? They use cloud services to deliver the data, so analysts could theoretically be low wage employees anywhere in the world.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looking at that piece of equipment, that one man can apparently handle by himself, I get the impression that this opens up the industry to "big box" type treasure hunting services a la Treasure Depot. Imagine how many of those units you could operate from one standard size vessel that is being used now. Let's say you could have 10 of them on a boat, all set to a different RF so they don't interfere with each other. 3 sets of backup batteries for each, and the potential for programming their area so a human doesn't have to remotely pilot it, at least constantly. How many square miles could be surveyed in a 2 week period? They use cloud services to deliver the data, so analysts could theoretically be low wage employees anywhere in the world.

Their business model is to sell the data, not the hardware. The specs look pretty sharp - not sure what real world performance would actually be or how it would do if the bottom being surveyed isn't flat and sandy...

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Their business model is to sell the data, not the hardware. The specs look pretty sharp - not sure what real world performance would actually be or how it would do if the bottom being surveyed isn't flat and sandy...

I wouldn't count on that business model lasting, though. Before places like the Home Despot and Lowes it was a world where professional contractors sold their services. And now it's a world where the non-snowflake types can go the DIY route, and the professional contractors buy their supplies from them to do the work for those who don't know how to use a screwdriver. Look at drones as an example. 15 years ago they were expensive and the few who could afford them sold a service. Now they are cheap and the public at large has the opportunity to be creative and do the same thing. The evolution of computers is another example, as is video editing. Both were areas once reserved for a limited group of people, now 10 year old kids can do it. Technology commodifies everything over time. Heck, even legal services have shifted to a DIY model, to some extent.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread