PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more pic just 'cause... can really see the clarity and barrel shape in this one!

Attachments

• JupEmerSpike.JPG
    JupEmerSpike.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 1,915

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I think i would have to look inside it :D You could always stick it back, to another clump of shells..That thing could have 10 or 20 more inside ::)

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicDude07: I may have this conglomerate x-rayed but I don't know whether that will be very effective in determining if there are more emeralds inside. I definately do not want to alter this artifact in any way as I will probably sell it very shortly here and it would not be as valuable if the emerald was removed and then "stuck back" into the conglomerate. Thanks for your recommendation though. When I do sell it, it will be for the value of what is visible... as i can't put a value on what MAY be inside. If there are more emeralds, then it will end up being to the benefit of the buyer.
Phips

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
X-ray may work..I hate to see you sell yourself short, if there maybe more inside but thats your stone and your call.. It sounds like you have alot more of them anyway ..I guess i just didnt see the value of the shells and the spike ,i find alot of them, but no emeralds yet..GOODLUCK

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fantastic find Mike. Have you ever found the emeralds grouped together or any type of pattern to where they lay on the beach, base of the dunes, waterline, mid-beach etc???

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom... the emeralds I have recovered from the 1715 Fleet were all in one area and it took a great deal of back breaking sifting to get them. As I mentioned in previous posts, another individual turned me on to the location where the 1715 Fleet emeralds were tumbling in the trough (waterline/low tide) and getting caught up in old growth on the shoreline... one particular area but no particular pattern or trail that I can see as of yet. I have also recovered some silver coins ("OMJ's"/ 2's, 4's, & 8's) in the same area on the beach after storms.

As for the Jupiter Wreck emerald, this is the one and only I have found so far and it was by sheer luck that it became visible to me! I was intending to sell the spike and would have unknowingly given the emerald(s) away if some of the coquina hadn't fallen off to reveal the "greenie". Hopefully many more to follow...

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
that shade of green might just be my new favorite color !! i just cant stop staring at that beauty.. what a find. i have one question. is that an iron spike?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would at least give the X-ray a try. An MRI would be nice as long as you pull the spike out. (Or is it allready detached?) Know any doctors?

Doesn't Fisheye have an x-ray machine or two!

Thats an awesome find!

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wailinmacs... yes, the spike is iron and Ihave left the conglomerate intact. Rgecy... yeah, I will look into the x-ray possibility. I have a friend who has access to various equipment. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. I was going to go to McClarty Treasure museum yesterday, but got too busy... will definately be up there today if anyone is in the area and wants to stop in and see it. All the best...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell... not to diminish your efforts sir, but this emerald/spike conglomerate did NOT come from the North side of the Jupiter Inlet. There very well could be shipwreck items to the North (as there are all up and down the coast) but I have never been there myself. I was actually informed of a spot to hunt that has been hunted quite frequently and just got lucky one day with this find... merely right place, right time.

So please don't encourage everyone to go over to the North side of Jupiter inlet to hunt as it will piss off "the powers that be" over there and before you know it, they will get on their rich high horse and push to keep beach hunters off the beaches!! Thanks. Phips

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell... I am not upset with what you had to say and don't care where folks choose to hunt... it was merely a suggestion as I have personally had a bad experience with Jupiter Island (North side of the inlet). My wife and I were chased off the beach (after only 5 minutes of walking along the waters edge) one afternoon by the overpaid Police of Jupiter Island. I was told that we were trespassing because the beach is all private property along the whole island (with the exception of the public park on the far North end) and received a ticket for $35 for my troubles. When the Officer ran my license and found out that I was an ex-cop, he offered to void the ticket, and I told him that he should consider the ticket a monetary tip for being nice enough to inform me as to how much the "five-o" on Jupiter Island suck and that we would not be back!! And I paid the damn ticket and left. Anyway... I wish everyone a wonderful New Year and hope 2008 is one of the best ever! Phips

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
I'm surprised at your experience on the North side of the inlet. There are several public, wood stair, crossovers, as well as parking on the North side. The property there is only private, as far as I know from years of walking that beach, from the top of the dunes where the signs are posted back to A1A where one's property ends. As far as the 'ticket' (notice to appear?) never heard of that one.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jupiter Island thinks they own the world, and there's enough money there to buy a big chunk of it. Scary place..you're constantly under camera surveilence. However, we all know the cop was wrong. Jupiter Island City stops at the Palm Beach County line.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy sharing treasure stories and finds as much as the next person and would like to continue doing so.

Let me re-word my last post since it tended to sound a bit harsh as I can get a passionate when it comes to discussing the way things are going with regards to human/civil rights and government corruption & intrusion into our daily existence and the influence that the rich have in government/society.

My wife and I had a bad experience with regards to the North side of the inlet and the Jupiter Island "Public Safety". We were on the beach for no more than 5 minutes when we were approached by a Jupiter Island cop and were told that the entire beach (with the exception of the park at the North end of the island) was private property and that we were trespassing. I of course politely disputed the private/public property line issue (and I do mean politely) and rudely received a ticket for my efforts!

The "well to do" folks of Jupiter Island have clearly ordered their "private Police force" to keep outsiders off "their" beach. I am not a Jupiter local and maybe others have had better experiences on the North side of the inlet than me. My comments and story were merely to express that I did not make my find on the North side and don't want anyone else to have the negative experience I had as the rich have a great deal of power in the area and I would hate to see beach hunting pushed out by their complaints.

I don't care where folks hunt... I mind my own activities for the most part... my comments were just to put my experience out there as I don't want to see metal detecting banned on the beach. I live up in the Vero Beach/Sebastian area and things are starting to get "sticky" up there too... Residents are starting to complain because SOME beach hunters are "crossing the line" by hunting in the dunes, on private property without permission, and are not filling their holes back in causing a safety hazard to the elderly folks who walk the beach. The Police in the area are also becoming more difficult to deal with when it comes to beach access and being in the area during storms. And now the local/county government installed video cameras are showing up all along the coast. Things are getting quite oppressive and I love my beach hunting and try not to piss too many "people of influence" off... that's all. Anyway, hope 2008 is one of the best years ever for all of us!!!! Happy hunting!!! Phips

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phips is a rent-a-cop here in florida.Anyone can get out of a ticket.I used to wear a NY city police hat here in florida.I must have got out of over 10 tickets with that hat.I just told the cops that pulled me over that i was a vacationing undercover cop.They never even asked for my drivers license!An its legal to wear just the hat.Now i have a orlando orange county hat:)

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Salvor1... who pissed in your eggnog?!! Not that it really matters, but I was in law enforcement in several states including Florida over a 16 year period and yes that can be verified by the officer in question. Fisheye... how refreshing... did you come up with that "rent a cop" term all by yourself?!!! And yes, I do work security part time now so I can fund my treasure hunting activities... gotta' do what ya' gotta' do. Beats scrubbing barnacles off the bottom of boats... that's for sure!

I mentioned the cop thing in my previous posts only because I felt it was unprofessional for the officer to even make a comment like that... not to bring up my personal employment history for anyone to question or judge. And if you are going around telling law enforcement officers that you are a vacationing officer from another state and showing them your hat or whatever, I find it hard to believe that they would not check on that... as impersonating a law enforcement officer is a crime! Anyway... this post has gotten ridiculously off topic so i'm done.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jupiter Island has now pissed off Martin County again. The island took it upon themselves to limit access to Martin countys' beach access park, and the county doesn't like it. Martin county also doesn't like Jupiter Islands limiting access to Martin county's beach. Phipps, contact Lee Weberman, the county commissioner for that area, and tell him about yer ticket. The timing is perfect.

Bill F.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precisely what I was referring to in my post about Jupiter Island and where other parts of the Treasure Coast may be headed... thanks for your comments and the heads up billinstuart!! I'll try to do my part to fight the good fight. Unfortunately it usually takes alot more than one person speaking out to make a difference and the kind of negativity and attitude I have gotten from some "know it all" individuals on this forum in response to this post makes me think that it just isn't worth my time & efforts... however there are alot of decent folks out there who treasure hunt and I would hope that they get involved with the issues at hand. All the best... Phips

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread