Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
billinstuart said:
Jupiter Island has now pissed off Martin County again. The island took it upon themselves to limit access to Martin countys' beach access park, and the county doesn't like it. Martin county also doesn't like Jupiter Islands limiting access to Martin county's beach. Phipps, contact Lee Weberman, the county commissioner for that area, and tell him about yer ticket. The timing is perfect.

Bill F.
Is this the story?

Jupiter Courier

Who can dictate beach rules on Jupiter Island?
By George Andreassi (Contact)
Saturday, January 5, 2008

JUPITER ISLAND — Martin County Commissioner Lee Weberman wants to know why the Town of Jupiter Island posted signs on the county-owned Hobe Sound Beach saying the beach and parking lot are closed from a half hour after sunset until a half hour before sunrise.

"They have no authority, at least not that I'm aware of, to restrict parking in that Hobe Sound Beach parking lot," Weberman said. "The parking lot is actually Martin County's. So they shouldn't be putting up signs restricting ... hours of use.

"The real sad part is the people who are going to be hurt are going to be innocent fishermen ... people who want to jog and are minding their own business, and surfers. That's the people who use the beach after hours."

Jupiter Island Town Manager Joe Connolly could not be reached for comment on the latest controversy over public access to publicly owned beaches in the wealthy enclave.

However, Connolly issued this statement through a spokesman:

"The Town Commission created this ordinance in response to requests from residents for better public safety protections. Much like the Town Commission sets traffic signs and parking rules, they used state-allowable home-rule powers to regulate what behavior is permissible on the beach."

In split votes in October, the Martin County Commission and Jupiter Island Town Council approved the transfer of the 10-acre Bon Air Beach from the U.S. Coast Guard to the town, despite opposition from several county residents, who wanted the county to take control and build a public parking lot.

Martin County Parks and Recreation Director Richard Blankenship said a Jupiter Island official told him the Town Council passed an ordinance on Dec. 11 instituting the rules posted on the signs.

Blankenship also questioned whether Jupiter Island has the authority to restrict public parking at the county-owned beach.

"I don't know that they have jurisdiction to close the public parking at that time," Blankenship said. "Martin County has an ordinance that states that all beaches and boat ramps will be open 24 hours."

Blankenship said he would report his findings to the County Attorney's Office.

Chris Schultz, of the Surfrider Foundation, said it would be a loss for surfers and fishermen if the Town of Jupiter Island can ban parking at Hobe Sound Beach from a half-hour after sunset until a half-hour before sunrise.

"It's the only beach access in south Martin County, so it tends to be more used than the beaches to the north," Schultz said.

Two signs posted on Martin County's Hobe Sound Beach — both titled "Town of Jupiter Island Beach Rules" — say the following:

• No littering — use trash containers

• No alcoholic beverages

• No smoking

• Animals must be on leashes

• People with animals must be prepared to clean up animal messes

• Beach and parking lot closed 1/2 hour after

sunset through 1/2 hour before sunrise

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ScurvyDog... thanks mate. I appreciate your encouragement and positive outlook.

I don't mind certain rules as far as keeping OUR beaches safe and clean. I do have a problem when the rules become so restrictive that it comes to the point when you might as well just stay home and watch "Blue Planet" on tv and try to remember how nice it was to go to the beach back when it wasn't regulated to death!

I can't accept the fact that I am prevented from getting on the beach "before" or "after" hours... can't even watch the sunrise over the ocean anymore because the county parks guys don't unlock the gates early enough and there is no place to park otherwise! And for all the surfers, fishermen, and treasure hunters who would like to use the beach at "off" hours, good luck... we have to find ways to be sneaky just to get out there... ridiculous.

And of course the rich who live on the beach would love nothing more than to keep "the public" completely off "their" beaches as evident in many areas along our coast. Well, I say, if the rich want to keep the public off "their" beaches, then the public will not fund the filling in of "their" beaches when the storms come in and take the dunes away!! Let the rich pay the millions of dollars yearly to pump in "new" sand... watch how quickly they will change their attitude!! Oh yeah, and if they own the beach, then let the government raise their property taxes to account for the "added beachfront property" they are claiming!! More money out of their pockets... they won't like that either!!

I can't wait for Mother Nature to come along and make A1A like it was in the days prior to 1980... nothing but beautiful, undisturbed, & uninhabited beaches!! Bring it on!!! I wish I was here along the Treasure Coast or in the Keys back in the heyday of treasure hunting... 1950's, 60's, etc. Back when you still needed a dune buggy to get to the beach and there were no roads, just dirt trails!! Oh well... one can dream...

Anyway, this thread has become a "good ol' rant" so I will sign off. For those that had something positive say here... thanks! And I encourage everyone who uses OUR beaches and oceans to be safe, clean up after yourselves (and your pets), fill in your holes, and fight the good fight against the oppression of the government and the rich when they try to keep us from what we have been Blessed with!!! Sounds corny but i'm gonna' say it anyway... stand strong fellow Brethren of the Coast!!! Ta....

Just thought i'd throw in my latest pic of me as ol' Captain Jack... hope you all like it! All the best mates... Phips

Attachments

• My Pearl!!.jpg
    My Pearl!!.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,260

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i fight authority, authority always wins.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I primarily collect 1715 Fleet "goodies" and I have 44 emeralds from those wrecks so I have made the decision to sell this piece from the Jupiter Wreck. I am entertaining offers (and have had several). If you have an interest in purchasing this piece, you may contact me at my personal email address:
[email protected]

All the best... Happy Hunting!! And Happy Holidays!!! Phips "

Phips, I quoted you above.

Just curious, you have 44 emeralds from the 1715 Fleet, and 1 from the Jupiter Wreck and a high quality one to boot and in a most unusual diplay.
Why would you want to part with the higher quality and far more rare (Jupiter) Emerald as compared to the 1715 Fleet ones?
Trying to understand that's all, especially if money isn't the object...why part with the Jupiter Emerald and not part with an 1715 Emerald?

Trez

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez... I would not normally even bother responding to your "inquiry" as it sounds like you are questioning my integrity. I do not need to justify my personal decisions on what I wish to sell or not sell and for what reasons to anyone... however on the off chance that you are truly "just curious" as you indicated in your post and I am misinterpreting your intentions, I will tell you this... I do not collect Jupiter Wreck materials for the most part as I am focused on the 1715 Fleet primarily. The emeralds that I have found from the 1715 Fleet are not only the same quality or better but are much larger (ranging from 1.5 carats all the way up to 38 carats). I have had my 1715 Fleet emeralds all rated and appraised and they are confirmed Columbian Muzo mine stones which I believe is the mine that most of the emeralds from the Fleet originated from.

Anyway, the spike/emerald conglomerate sold for my asking price...the collector is very happy with his purchase and i'm pleased as well. That's all that matters...

Regards, Phips

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phips,
Have you ever posted any of your 1715 Fleet Emeralds for the T-Net members to see...or just the Jupiter Wreck Emerald?
If you did post, can you or a fellow member direct me to the specific post? Thanks.

sorry if you felt I was questioning your integrity...I would never do such a thing, especially someone who dresses like that...that is a great look, too bad about your pirate ship there.
See you on the beach sometime, now I know who to look for.

Thanks again,
Trez

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trez... I have posted pics of some of my 1715 Fleet emerald finds previously but I couldn't tell you what the title of the thread was.... too long ago. I will post a pic or 2 here... just for you man. Oh, and good point on the integrity issue and my dress code!! Haha!! I only look like that on a GOOD day though... ta!!!

Phips

Attachments

• 1715Green1.jpg
    1715Green1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,109

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Phips,

Nice haul! Keep up the good work!

Relic, Chagy is always lurking in the forum. I know he has been pretty busy as of late, but I am sure he will surface sooner or later!

Robert

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The encrustation on the spike is consistent with other material I saw years ago at Jupiter when I was the field arch there between 96-98 and which had been deposited on the beach by the cutter dredge pipe after the dredge itself had excavated sand for beach renourishment about 2200 ft out to sea off the South jetty.

While we never found any emeralds on the site...we were not looking for any either and, having worked Atocha one season back in 1994 dredging for emeralds off Troy's Quest, I can tell you from experience that they are very hard to spot individually and loose underwater.

The Archangel did however stop at Cartagena as is also evidenced by the number of rare and fine Bogota and Cartagena silver coins found on the site and so it is is also possible that some emeralds were picked up there by someone traveling on the ship for resale in Spain. It would have been normal. We did find gold dust on the site at certain locations but that is even harder to attempt to recover from the ocean than emeralds and we did not bother trying.
JR

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See phips....
Everyone enjoyed seeing them...thanks for posting, they are very nice indeed, very nice.
So thanks again...

I'll keep looking for that pirate ship washed up on he beach, you shouldn't be far from it.

Cheers,
Trez

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrimony... my 1715 Fleet emeralds are all beach finds from one particular area... not water finds! Just so it's clear that I didn't pirate anything, even though I may look like one from time to time. Hope things stay on track for your operations in Equador... bring up some good stuff will ya'!!

IamThe Walrus... thanks for the compliments. Those individuals you named are quite accomplished th'ers and I know several of them personally. Although they may not have found a fistful of emeralds, they most certainly have me beat with other finds, that's for sure!

I have been blessed with finding some amazing goodies over the years from numerous shipwrecks and beach areas, but I definately wouldn't say that I rank up their in experience with the guys that have been hunting for 20 or 30 years... I have only been at it full time for 8 years, but wouldn't trade this "work" for anything!

I wish everyone the best of luck this year!!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JUPITER ISLAND — Hobe Sound Beach will be open 24 hours a day for at least the next three months.

The Town Commission unanimously voted Tuesday to suspend enforcement of an ordinance that, among other things, would have closed the county-owned beach from a half hour after sunset to a half hour before sunrise.

The delay will give the Public Safety Department time to work with the Martin County Sheriff's Office to evaluate problems at the beach and determine whether the ordinance is still necessary.

"I think we were on the right track with this ordinance, but perhaps we moved too quickly," said Mayor Charles Falcone.

Chief Ted Gonzales, the town's public safety director, had suggested delaying enforcement of the ordinance for a year after talking with Sheriff Robert Crowder last week about stepping up patrols of the beach. Commissioners said three months would be long enough to evaluate the situation.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Vrent... thanks. They are definately some of my best 1715 fleet finds and i worked hard for 'em too!! I am hoping to find alot more where those came from and hopefully much larger and darker colored ones! I'll keep you posted... Phips

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vrent... I found the area where these beauties arre coming up through the kindness of a local who had been finding them for years and now that she is getting on in years and can't walk the beach to much anymore, she passed the info on to me. They are definately 1715 fleet pieces (due to where i am finding them) and they have been confirmed as Columbian Muzo Mine stones.

I love emeralds (especially when they have a fascinating shipwreck history behind them), but i won't have any of them faceted into jewelry as they are rare and I prefer to display in their natural state as recovered from the shipwrecks.

To find them, you really have to have the knowledge of where they are coming up, have the right conditions to actually hunt for them, and then do hours & hours of sifting.

All the best... Phips

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
well if I can ever get down your way I sure would love to help you shovel and sift just to see some up close and personal

they are some of the most gorgeous stones out there

HH Vrent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread