Nother Week in the Creek

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Well I done went out again lookin fer stuff.

Fishing season is in full gear here, so I am spending as much time fishing as I am metal detecting. At times I am able to do both at the same time. I park the boat, I get out and detect, and put my poles up in the pole holders. when one bends over, I drop the detector, go running to reel in, re bait and start again..... ok im insane. go figger. At least I am not flying around in a helicopter like sapper is.

anyways... here's a few shots of my finds this week. I went down south as usual and also hit a few of my haunts up more towards my way here.... even went oceanside again, though it was decent out there, the ride back into the river got a bit rough... but hell, if you don't want to get wet, then don't get into a boat is my motto.

Nice fishie which is now in my freezer and 3 coins, copper they are, not quite sure what they are yet, very dirty and needing cleaning.... one looks like it might be a meriveda of some sort. well im hoping at least. the others too grungy to really tell at this point. Sorry the quality of the pic isn't the best, the sun was odd and it's kind of hard to really see how good the pic is in the 2 x 2 inch or whatever it is viewfinder of the camera.

anyways, here we go. and oh btw, you get a mug shot of my ugly ass too... hope ya didnt eat recently ;D

Aaron

Attachments

• 12 9 07 aaron drum.jpg
    12 9 07 aaron drum.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 417
  • cop coin.jpg
    cop coin.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 429

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
Aaron,

congrads on the 3 coins. it looks like there wrap up in pitch?
I think, I saw Jack south of you the otherday. looks like you had a good day,
fish and coins. nothing wrong with that! maybe next month, I'll get out again.
stay in the area. good luck!

Sapper

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aaron,

Nice finds and good catch!

Were you able to cleanup the coins? What did you use?

HH.

Moe

OP
OP
A

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Hello everyone. The coins did clean up. and yes they turned out to be coins. how I cleaned them was basically soak them in baking soda and GENTLY rubbing them with a soft bristle brush. The black stuff kind of peeled / crumbled off them after soaking a day or so. After looking at it, im thinking that what sapper said is correct and it was some kind of tarry substance, but it was more like wax it didn't smear like tar would, but was crumblier than wax.. oh whatever..... it was some goop on them.

Hopefully I get out this weekend too but not sure what i want to do or where i want to go... fishing, detecting.. hmmm. maybe ill do both again ;D

Aaron

Attachments

• cleancoins.jpg
    cleancoins.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 300

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
Ascholten,

Well... there Spanish Copper "Maravedie" ; looks like Early 1600's ??.
Congrads. Most likely all what your finding came threw Penon In. there where a few LOP's in area.
the whole area is loaded with History: stay in the area.

Sapper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread