Leaking Torpedo has anyone had similiar problems??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I just purchased the Torpedo DPV and totally love it!! It is the best underwater scooter around but I wish I had purchased the stronger one. I have a question for everyone that ones one here on this post, has anyones Torpedo leaked water before?? My scooter is leaking water and I am trying to find the problem but don't know where to start. I have checked the O-ring and it seems to sit fine, I make sure there is no debri around it. It seems as though water is coming in not a whole lot but enough to get things wet. I am thinking about using a silicone in the O-ring seat to help make more of a seal. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I don't know what to do and I don't want to send it all the way back to Florida. Thanks everyone and have a happy holiday season and new year!! Aloha ;D

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure the O-ring is really clean.not 1 sand grain.wipe it down with alcohol.do this at home in a clean area.not on the beach.1 grain of sand will cut a O-ring in half at any depth below 10 feet.inspect the O-ring and make sure theres no small cuts in it.if its ok.grease it up with marine grease or vasaline.you could always use RTV silicone or 5200 but that will present a problem if you have to take it apart.if the motor or any wires,connectors,circuit boards got wet.soak it in fresh water first to get rid of any salt.then soak it in denatured alcohol.then let it dry out for a day,or blow it out with dry compressed air,like from a scuba tank.i have flooded many DPV's of all makes and U/W cameras and houseings.just dont let it sit around after it gets flooded.take care of it quick.get it in fresh water before any damage happens.otherwise its no good to anyone an can only be used as a door stop.

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
you have the large o ring at the top for the batt.compt. and also small o rings at the bottom of the handles that seal the tube where the mag. switch is located - you can also call Alfred at torpedo and he will be glade to help you out.

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
You can get a good quality waterproof/lubricating o-ring sealant @any pool and spa store.Its been many years since i was in the hot tub biz; but we used a blue lubricant that sealed and protected o-ring's under high pressure, high temperature and corrosive chemicals.Should be perfect for UW scooter o-ring.Pinch-a Penny should have it.Keegah

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
The most common lubricant at pool and spa places is:

Attachments

• O Ring Lubricant.JPG
    O Ring Lubricant.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 377

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread