jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marine Exploration Announces Contract Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Wednesday December 19, 4:07 pm ET

MIAMI, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Marine Exploration Inc. (MEI) is now trading on the Pink Sheets under stock symbol MEXP. Marine Exploration Inc. is designed to bring together world renowned, successful explorers, researchers and skilled divers to locate and salvage treasure ships in the Caribbean Sea. Marine Exploration Inc. in conjunction with joint venture partner, legendary treasure explorer and salvager Burt Webber, has commenced operations in the Caribbean. By using the latest high tech equipment, designed and licensed specifically for each mission under exclusive development contracts, MEI is setting the new standard for research-based treasure exploration in its mission. Of the two projects that MEI has contracted for, our expert has estimated that there may be as much as $500,000,000 in recoverable salvage of ancient gold, silver, gems, Ming dynasty china and one-of-a-kind valuables.

About the Company:

In conjunction with joint venture partner, renowned treasure explorer and salvager Burt Webber, the company holds exclusive permits with the government of the Dominican Republic to conduct search and recovery operations on the Silver Bank. Significant archival research has closely narrowed the probable wreck sites to the extent that dedicated survey operations should require no more than two to five months to yield desirable results. Long Term, Marine Exploration Inc. intends to pursue dozens of notable shipwrecks worldwide.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Details may come later, but I would highly discourage anyone from investing in this. All is not as it seems.

Golddiesel

Greenie
Dec 20, 2007
Pacific Rim
Darren in NC said:
Details may come later, but I would highly discourage anyone from investing in this. All is not as it seems.

Why?

It's like any other shipwreck-salvage attempt. There are never any guarantees on any exploration. Sure there is hype and there is alot of optimism - what successful company did not have those factors into play on their IPO?

The only thing that these companies have going for them is:

- Leadership of the exploration - which is Burt Webber, who is as experienced as anyone out there
- Data, intelligence / historical documentation - which is usually over analyzed enough to make a go at it
- The amount of the capital invested - usually what appears to be the biggest issues of any company

From what I've read there have been numerous attempts that have failed because either one of those factors weren't met. However, when you have the leadership on board, that's usually the best indicator of what is most likely going to happen.

Look at what happened with OMEX, they had the right combination of resources and intelligence to find what they found off Spain, however, they apparently botched their results of their recovery when they never properly handled their legal issues ahead of time. Now they have a very lengthy and expensive litigation process to go through.

MEXP, based on what I'm reading, whether its true or not, claims to be hammering out all of the negotiations ahead of time and apparently avoiding another incident like with OMEX. That apparently would be a determining factor for alot of investors, worried about what's going to happen with the recovery

SO what it comes down to, is if you feel comfortable in investing in a company like that? IF one doesn't want any risk, then you might as well put your dollars into a CD and wait 30+ years for it to double. This is investing and is beyond just a hobby for alot of people serious in this. Sure I no one is foolish enough to dump everything into a company like this. But an investment in a marine salvage company could be an interesting subject matter to talk about in your portfolio.

As they say, no guts, no glory. a 2+ million dollar investment to gain 80+ millon in profit, seems to be a nice spread, regardless of what the odds are.

That's just me, I'm just being objective.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Golddiesel said:
That's just me, I'm just being objective.

I assure you I am not being objective. That only happens when you're on the outside looking in. I am totally subjective in this case. I stand by my words.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Even if a salvage company hits it big, there is no guarantee the investors will get paid. A good example is Columbus America Discovery group and their salvage of the S.S. Central America. Tommy Thompson got $300 mil. but the investors that put up $10,000 each got nothing!

Golddiesel

Greenie
Dec 20, 2007
Pacific Rim
salvor 6 said:
Even if a salvage company hits it big, there is no guarantee the investors will get paid. A good example is Columbus America Discovery group and their salvage of the S.S. Central America. Tommy Thompson got $300 mil. but the investors that put up $10,000 each got nothing!

That goes to show you the importance of having GOOD lawyers writing up all the contracts and covering all those bases before those boats are even close leaving the dock. Sounds like something (let alone manythings) wasn't/weren't done right at all if one man's getting the chunk of change and investors who fronted 10k "got nothing".. :(

If I'm fronting $10k, you're damned straight I'm having my lawyer(s) go through the contracts with a magnifying glass making sure my duck are lined up in a row before spending a dime.
That's Too bad! And it does show you that this IS a risky business. However, good legal counsel can often be the determining factor -well some of the time of course ;)

Does anyone think that this MEXP is inclined to doing the same thing like what Columbus American Discovery group did to its investors - assuming that they even find anything?

Dec 23, 2007
Jupiter, Florida USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Proton4, pulse 10, Geometrics G-882 (yeah I know...but I've made it work for me)
I've met Burt Webber, he's worked with Mel Fisher and on many other sites. The guy is a careful man as I understand it.
It will be interesting to see what happens here. I'll be watching closely. I was down in the DR when Captain Kidd's wreck was recently discovered and I met with Webber on land, I believe he was an adviser on that project.
It really is exciting to watch "professionals" work, I wish I had their budget.
TJ ::)

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
shipwreckhunter101 said:
I've met Burt Webber, he's worked with Mel Fisher and on many other sites. The guy is a careful man as I understand it.
It will be interesting to see what happens here. I'll be watching closely. I was down in the DR when Captain Kidd's wreck was recently discovered and I met with Webber on land, I believe he was an adviser on that project.

Hi,

I have met Burt Webber in person in several occassions here in Santo Domingo but I personally doubt that Burt was an adviser in case of Cpt. Kidd´s found ship "Queddah Merchant". As I know, National Commettee of Underwater Herritage of Dominican Republic was approaced by Italian amateur diver who found the wreck close to the shore of Catalina Island, he lives in Casa de Campo resort just couple of hundred meters from there. Subdirector of the Committee asked then for proffesional help the archaeological team of Indiana University. These guys have been working in shipwreck sites in DR for many years. Among the others they claim to locate probably the sunken flagship of Christopher Columbus´ second voyage, "Mariagalante" in the Bay of La Isabela on the north of the island and they also worked in the past in Isla Saona waters on the wreck site where two shipwrecks from two different periods and centuries were sunk at the same spot. They were also searching in the "Manantial", the sacred flooded cave of Tainos Indians there.

The place of Kidd´s wrecked, or better said deliberately scuttled ship is is now closely watched by DR authorities and they want to create a protected area there for the divers from all over the world to come there and dive on real pirate ship.

Lobo

Dec 23, 2007
Jupiter, Florida USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Proton4, pulse 10, Geometrics G-882 (yeah I know...but I've made it work for me)
Bobadilla said:
shipwreckhunter101 said:

Lobo,
Very interesting and perhaps I misunderstood him, could it have been the "cuba libres"? If so, my bad...Iwill stand by the statement that he is a careful and professional in this field. Thanks for the clarification.
TJ :-[

Golddiesel

Greenie
Dec 20, 2007
Pacific Rim
shipwreckhunter101 said:

DO you think Burt will be able to pull off what he's looking for with his announced involvement with Marine Exporation / MEXP?

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi TJ,

May I ask what did you do here in DR? Just vacation or diving trip? I know very ell what are you talking about.... lot of cuba libre..... Did you have a possibility to dive here during your visit?

Lobo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread