Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Larsmed said:
Hi

Just found an interesting interview with some guys who found a shipwreck in a cornfield!!

Goes to show if you do the research, you can get amazing results!

http://www.neh.gov/news/humanities/2004-11/sunkentreasure.html

Happt Hunting!

May your hunt be fruitful!
Larry

Yeah that's pretty neat. I remember when it was first discovered and was aired on "A Current Affair" TV show that used to come on in the afternoons.

Pcola

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Greg's daughter worked for me while she attended college here and I got to meet her family a couple of times. They were always very excited to talk about the discovery of the Arabia and what they had to risk and go through to get it.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They have a great museum too, I went to it years ago even before I got into shipwreck hunting. I'm sure it had something to do with my current obsession, a really neat place and worth the drive if you ever find yourself close to it.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great story! Here's a similar one about another steamboat I came across years ago...

The Bertrand might be the best-known example of a noncombat Civil War era sinking. In 1967, salvors found the river steamer packed with supplies, more than one mile from the present course of the meandering Missouri River in the DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge. Bound for Fort Benton in the Montana Territory, its cargo was destined for the gold towns of Hell Gate, Virginia City, and Deer Lodge, but on the morning of April 1, 1865, the steamer hit a snag about 25 miles above Omaha and reportedly sank in five minutes. Although the recovery was a salvage operation, National Park Service archaeologists directed the excavation, and the boat's more than 10,000 cubic feet of cargo, located on federal land, is federal property. A selection of these artifacts is on display in an impressive storage-conservation-exhibition facility built specifically to house the collection at the DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge.

even more details and pics at http://www.fws.gov/midwest/desoto/bertrand.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread