How much weight needed to stay in place using dpv? Suggestions appreciated!

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone have been using my torpedo dpv and it works awesome but the only problem is that I seem to be flying around like superman! What are you guys using to stay in place, I can only put on so much weight on my weight belt!! Any suggestions for using this device with better efficiency would help me out alot. I heard of some of you using an anchor? Do you clip yourself on it or just hold on to it? Well, I hope to hear some good answers to this post because I know alot of you use this piece of equipment to find all the goodies stuck in cracks and crevices! Aloha ;D

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Makahaman
I strap a couple big dive weights right to the sides of the cage with zip ties and it basically neutralizes the thrust effect.
Seahunter

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The problem that you will have, if it is deeper than your snorkle, you will need surface supplied air, or work shallower. Most guys that water hunt use a lot of weight, like 12 - 20 plus pounds. That is just for wading. That keeps you on the bottom and not floating away when a wave comes. Especially with a wetsuit. To keep from moving away with the DPV, you will need more than that. Problem is you will be pushed to the bottom. A hookah would be good, but noisy in your setting. It will be a problem just wading, unless you are in water that you can stand up in, and breathe through a snorkle too. You will need an amount to keep your feet planted, yet not pull you over. 15 - 20 should be alright. You dont want to float at all. Remember to keep it spread around, not all in back or front, also keep the release handy and in front so you can drop your weight in an instant, if you get in trouble.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No extra weight needed with my device. 8)

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Where is it??????????????? I don't believe it until I see it!!!!!!! No offense Fisheye but many people say many things and it is hard to believe people unless I see it for my own eyes!!!!! And I will be the first one to buy it from you when you start selling it!!!! Much Aloha ;D

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
some extra weight helps,but if you can back up to a piling or a rib is best,last week I was working on a cannonball in open bottom and I anchored myself to the bottom with a pick and blew away all I needed.Sometimes I lay it almost flat and hunch over in front of it and it stays,and sometimes I have to use short bursts.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used concrete blocks I tossed in to the site. I was using hookah then and fastened the blocks to the SeaDoo to keep it from pulling me away from the bottom. Different methods work also, it just depends.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Danny,
I am sending your waterproof switch box and plans in the mail tomorrow. I am also sending the plans and blueprints to Scotty Lee in Riviera Beach. Here is a picture of mine on the deck of my boat. I attached a 60' cable to it with the battery on the boat. That way it will run for about 10 hours or more on a car battery. You can also float the battery on a small innertube.

Attachments

• DCP00823.JPG
    DCP00823.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 262
OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Thanks Salvor 6 I really appreciate all of your help with my questions regarding your awesome invention!! Hopefully I can put it together with some elbow grease!! I will be sending you a care package as soon as I get your address, it is something from Hawaii. Sorry the hula girl would be hard to put in a box but it is something that you will enjoy!! Again thanks for all of your help and support I really do appreciate it so very much!! Aloha ;D

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
I think it really depends on depth, current, surge and if you have any wreckage to hang onto. In most cases I only have to add 5 pounds. In shallow water with a surge or current I add a bit more.

Check out http://www.shipwreckexpo.com/shipwreckdivingexcavation.htm

Photo below is using a scooter (old teckna) to uncover a cannon on the Culloden Wreck

Safe Diving
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com

Attachments

• dan scooter.jpg
    dan scooter.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 165

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread