Shipwrecks in mass.

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I was wondering if anyone had any info on shipwrecks along the northern coast of Massachusetts. I know that there have been reales pulled off the beaches of Ipswich, Hampton and Salisbury and I was wondering if there are any specific wrecks in that area. I did find a snippet telling of the Rolla, a privateering vessel that wrecked and eventually washed up on "a beach in Essex county" in 1820 I just don't know which beach.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hope this doesn't get off-topic but thought you may need to be aware of this....

It may be a little out of your way but you may want to get on www.virtualearth.com and check the southeastern shoreline of Boston Logan Airport. There is a huge wreck there just off the shoreline and is pretty intact. By the shape of the hull I would say that it was probably a late 19th century schooner of some sort.

Here's a screenshot of it with north being to the right and the airport towards the top (west).

bostonairport.jpg

Pcola

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Thanks for the info. I can't find it on google so I am going to download virtual earth. I wonder since it's so close to the airport if it would be off limits. Coincidentally snake island is right across the harbor where treasure is suppose to be buried.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
pcolaboy that is a very cool program mind if ask what the coordinates in the lower right are?

capt unfortunately the parks folks who run the islands frown on metal detectors and treasure hunters not like in Edward Rowe Snow's day

but the blue fish and striper fishing off of the islands is fantastic

thanks

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
i heard of a guy who put a coil in his shoe and the electronics under his clothes just for covert detecting. i think his name was mcgyver. he he . nice shipwreck it has to be a known wreck . i think there is a list of mass shipwrecks which tell if its off limits or not. i saw the list once but saw the whydah wreck as one that was open ,but i highly doubt that wreck is open to dive. seeing how the bulk of gold is still under sand there. but i could be wrong kiddrock33

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread