Anyone can be a marine Archeologist

Scurvydog

Greenie
Dec 21, 2007
This is from a Federal Posting...

Applicants who meet the basic requirements described in the individual occupational requirements are fully qualified for the specified entry grade (generally grade GS-5). Applicants who wish to qualify for positions at higher grade levels (generally grade GS-7 and above) must also meet the requirements shown in the table below, in addition to meeting the basic requirements.

There are three ways for applicants to meet the basic requirements for the Archaeologist occupation:

* Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included 3 semester hours each in the following course areas:
o History of archeology.
o Archeology of a major geographical area such as North America or Africa.
o Regional archeology, archeological cultures, or sites in a specific part or portion of a major geographical area to acquire or develop a foundation for regional specialization for professional development.
o Theory and methods of archeology. Methods include, but are not limited to, typology, classification, sampling, cultural evolution, diffusion, dating, and analytical techniques.
o Archeological field school, to provide a basic understanding of theoretical and practical approaches to research design implementation, field preservation techniques, and report preparation by participation in actual field work.

AND

* Six semester hours of related course work in:
o geography, geology, or cultural geography;
o history, historiography, or historical archeology;
o environmental studies;
o scientific writing (nonfiction English composition); and/or
o surveying;

AND

* Archeological field school.

OR A degree in anthropology (with emphasis on ethnology, physical anthropology, or scientific linguistics), history, American studies, or a related discipline, provided the curriculum supplied academic course work sufficiently similar to the requirements above (including archeological field school).

OR

* Combination of education and experience-- College-level education or training that provided knowledge equivalent to that described above, plus appropriate technical experience or additional education.

The quality of the combination of education and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study with a major in the appropriate field. In addition to courses in the major and related fields, a typical college degree would have included courses that involved analysis, writing, critical thinking, research, etc. These courses would have provided an applicant with skills and abilities sufficient to perform progressively more responsible work in the occupation. Therefore, creditable experience should have demonstrated similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the work of the occupation.

OR

* Four years of archeological work experience that demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional archeology. The work experience must have included archeology field experience, which may include that gained in an archeological field school. Field experience should have included a combination of professional experience in archeological survey, excavation, laboratory analysis, and preparation of written materials. Applicants with such field experience should, after additional experience under the direction of a higher grade archeologist, be able to demonstrate the ability to be a crew chief, directing the work of others at a single location as a part of a larger archeological project.

Additional Experience and Education Requirements For GS-7 and Above

In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown in the table below:

Grade
Education
Specialized Experience
GS-7
1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement
1 year equivalent to at least GS-5
GS-9
2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree
1 year equivalent to at least GS-7
GS-11
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
1 year equivalent to at least GS-9
GS-12 and above
1 year equivalent to at least next lower grade level

NOTE: Education and experience may be combined for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.

Graduate Education: Completion of graduate level education in the amounts shown in the table, in addition to meeting the basic requirements, is qualifying for positions at grades GS-7 through GS-11 if it provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that number cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered an academic year of graduate study. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.

Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.

36 CFR 61
This is the code that governs some work on Federally funded projects...it applies only to the US. In many countries, it takes much less. Many agencies also accept experience in the field, and many of the older archaeologists never had any formal training.

Archeology and related laws

http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/law.htm

Scurvydog

OP
OP
S

Scurvydog

Greenie
Dec 21, 2007
I stand corrected then as to Patrimony. Sorry. But the facts are that Joel has passed himeslf off as a marine archeologist to the author Davidson and the readers of Lost Treasure mag. He has no degrees or has ever published and as such is not a academic in this field. He has plenty of field experience, but this does not qualify one as a archeologist. If he is considered a marine archeologist then anyone who has ever salvaged or conserved an artifact is now a marine archeologist.
ScruvyDog

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know that Joel has never been published? I believe that ten years ago the State of Florida decided he had been published and was qualified to act as an archaeologist.
It might be a little embarrassing if you are posting false information about Joel and then proved wrong later.
I think that is called slander.

OP
OP
S

Scurvydog

Greenie
Dec 21, 2007
Sorry Seahunter no slander intended. Not a rant either. I guess ole Grubstake can be considered a marine archeologist and a land archeologist also. Or Diving Doc. Grubstake has written far more than most of you or Joel. Grubstake has also found more Ships than you Seahunter and yet all he got was grief from you guys. I never saw him make such a claim. Not to drag him into this. I find it interesting that a rant about RSOP's can continue here with no problem. But Scott Heimdal isn't a Florida guy is he. His facts were distorted by Patrimony. Fact is that. that mess was cleared up in less than 24 hours. But I just wanted to start a thread about supposed Marine Archeologists. Actually it probabl;y should be moved out of Shipwrecks. But there are always posts here not really dealing with shipwrecks huh? Like boats for sale. Maybe a liscening should take place like with Doctors or any other professionals. I sewed up a chicken a few months ago with stitches, and a horse a few years ago, yet I do not call myself a veternarian. Joel is a great Treasure salvor and when he gets his masters and does his thesis and pays his academic dues then I will recognize him as a marine archeologist. No need for anyone to brown nose him or curry favor with misinformed posts. Please if you know so much about him read lost treasure and be filled in or do some research Seahunter. Maybe the Author Davidson would Know more than you, give him a call.
Scurvydog

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scurvydog - First off, I see that you are new to TreasureNet (or are you?).

"But I just wanted to start a thread about supposed Marine Archeologists" Yea! sure you did! You know exactly what you wanted to start.

You have obviously been around long enough to know the names of some of the players, and you throw out names of three individuals (Grubby, Corney and Doc), who were all banned from TreasureNet. Banned for inappropriate, childish behavior, making false accusations against TreasureNet members, attacking members and moderators, just plain being unsociable mean an rotten to the core type individuals. Oh! and they seemed to be able to alienate all the "Florida Boys" as a target of opportunity. Most likely do to jealousy, or compensation for some other mental or physical inadequacy.

Now you want to start pushing Seahunters and Patrimony's buttons in an obvious attempt to rile them up, or to try to expose the real identity of Patrimony.
According to an email I have from Grubby dated 19 December 2007 (the day he banned me from that other forum), he claims to know the real identity of whom Patrimony actually is, and it's not Joel Ruth or even Seahunter. Who cares what Patrimony's real name is, that is why we use handles like "Scurvydog", or other self descriptive fancy names to hide behind. If someone wants to post there real name, that is there business.

Tom

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
I don’t get it. Is this supposed to be a rant, public lynching or a legitimate thread?

Nothing legitimate with this thread, just another attempt to muddy the waters.

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
anyone can be a amateur Archeologist -most finds are by amatures-and if you are smart you keep your finds to your self-if you worry about your finds and not what everyone else claims to be or claims to have found you will be much better off-

OP
OP
S

Scurvydog

Greenie
Dec 21, 2007
Seahunter------I meant no attack on you and I am sorry your so sensitive. I used to think it was cool what you were doing and so did my dad. Lost Treasure happens to be the largest selling treasure rag in the world. Even larger than W&E mag. No it isn't a technical manuel. But it is enjoyable reading. When you get up to Joel Ruths heights you might make it in there some day huh? Like Conservator has told me, you and some of you guys from Florida really believe you are "de Bomb", but in the scheme of things I really doubt it. Have a great day and go find some more reales guy.
Scurvydog

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scurvydog
At your age I understand how you don't know what published really means and how you also would think I was belittling Lost Treasure, my favorite magazine since I was much younger than you. By the way I have never found a wreck in my life, I just enjoy diving for treasure as most of us "Florida Boys" do. When you get older you mignt be able to comprehend some of this.
Until then "Good Luck".

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uses for the Lost Treasure magazine.It makes a great mullet wrapper 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread