BEES WAX WRECK

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I KNOW WHERE THE BEES WAX WAS FOUND SO HERES MY IDEAH TO LOCATE THE WRECK

ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED ALL THESE YEARS ON THE BEACH FROM DROWNING VICTOMS BELEAVE IT OR NOT
IS THAT WHEN PEOPLE DROWN HERE LETS SAY THEY GET SWEPT OUT OF THE BAY HERE HAPPENS EVERY YEAR.
THEY WASH UP IN ROADS END 7 MILES SOUTH.

IF THEY DROWN IN NEWPORT THEY WASH UP ABOUT 7 MILES SOUTH BEVERLY BEACH

SO IF THE BEES WAX WASHES UP IN TILLIMOOK WOULDNT IT MAKE SENSE THAT THE WRECK WOULD BE ROUGHLY 7 MILES NORTH.

SEVEN MILES NORTH OF TILLIMOOK IS PRETTY ROCKY COAST LINE
WHAT DO YOU THINK.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
That honestly sounds like the best place to start.
I would get a set of current charts if you can.
Use them to plot the flow of the flotsam.
Bear in mind that the wax you are charting is much different in shape substance and density than a human body.
You may have to release a consistant set of current tracking devices and using a radio transmitter track the current in that fashion. Like some Styrofoam buoys to hold the equipment and release them at different intervals from different points just to see if you are correct.

Just a suggestion.

Thom
OD

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
That honestly sounds like the best place to start.
I would get a set of current charts if you can.
Use them to plot the flow of the flotsam.
Bear in mind that the wax you are charting is much different in shape substance and density than a human body.
You may have to release a consistant set of current tracking devices and using a radio transmitter track the current in that fashion. Like some Styrofoam buoys to hold the equipment and release them at different intervals from different points just to see if you are correct.

Just a suggestion.

Thom
OD
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS TRACKING DEVICES HE USES FOR WORK
IF WE PLANT A FEW WE CAN TRACK THE VIA SATALITE AND KNOW WITHING A FOOT WHERE THEY ARE AT ALL TIMES.
THIS COULD BE INTERSTING.

THE FIRST THING I NEED TO DO IS VERIFY THE WAX LOCATION FINDS.
THEN MAKE UP SOME WAX BRICKS AND PLANT THE LOCATORS IN THEM AND LET THEM GO MABY THEY WILL BE THE SAME
THE OTHER THING IS SOME TIOMES OF THE YEAR THE TIDE IS GOING THE OTHER DIRECTION SO WE WOULD HAVE TO DO THIS FROM BOTH ENDS OF THE CURRENT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE YEAR.
IMA

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
now your starting to think like a logical good "shipwreck" researcher should -- by using the ole noodle first rather than just wasting time willy nilly searching the wreckage area --(to find treasure you must look where it actually is, rather than where it ain't )-- while the junk from the wreck might have floated here and might have some stuff of value hung up in it , the bulk of the vessels treasure more likely lies on the bottom at the major crash site where she dumped her guts so to speak and the left over wood and beeswax floated down to the tillimook area -- most good treasure hunters are smart as well as lucky -- luck often finds the smart and well prepared since we make it so much easier for it to do so.-- ( --PS-- a word to the wize keep your lips sealed from here on -- there be pirates "watching and lurking" that will gladly rip off your spot -- some be "offical" state pirates while others are just "freebooters" -- so follow the treasure hunters code-- lips sealed -- talk not in the "open" about it until after the treasure is legally yours to stop "claim jumpers and looters"---- talk via PM's and only to those you trust fully )-- many folks have made a bundle by picking a smart mans brains or listening a bit too close to "private" conversations --- bon chance --- good luck -- good hunting --- Ivan

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
now your starting to think like a logical good "shipwreck" researcher should -- by using the ole noodle first rather than just wasting time willy nilly searching the wreckage area --(to find treasure you must look where it actually is, rather than where it ain't )-- while the junk from the wreck might have floated here and might have some stuff of value hung up in it , the bulk of the vessels treasure more likely lies on the bottom at the major crash site where she dumped her guts so to speak and the left over wood and beeswax floated down to the tillimook area -- most good treasure hunters are smart as well as lucky -- luck often finds the smart and well prepared since we make it so much easier for it to do so.-- ( --PS-- a word to the wize keep your lips sealed from here on -- there be pirates "watching and lurking" that will gladly rip off your spot -- some be "offical" state pirates while others are just "freebooters" -- so follow the treasure hunters code-- lips sealed -- talk not in the "open" about it until after the treasure is legally yours to stop "claim jumpers and looters"---- talk via PM's and only to those you trust fully )-- many folks have made a bundle by picking a smart mans brains or listening a bit too close to "private" conversations --- bon chance --- good luck -- good hunting --- Ivan
:-X

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Hi Fishingnutt

Before you start pouring money into your project with radio monitored floats your should consider and convince yourself that the wrecking happened on the beach. If it just happened ½ mile out your experiment is useless and the money spend is down the drain. Also a drowned person floats for days(?) but the wax may have been travelling the sea for centuries.

Since you have a theory and a probable location why not make a preliminary mag search? Just my two €cents.

Good luck with you endeavour.

V

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the beeswax was used by the catholic church to make "holy" candles --it and wooden hull parts of a vessel are known to be in the tillamook area --- now the big question is --is the wreck site there or is this just debris from eslewhere and if so where? and most importantly what vessel was it and what if any treasure did it carry? there are many question that only good research can answer -- I think fishing nutts up to the jub ---since he seems to have a good sound logical mind and thinks things thru -- Ivan

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voldbjerg said:
Hi Fishingnutt

Before you start pouring money into your project with radio monitored floats your should consider and convince yourself that the wrecking happened on the beach. If it just happened ½ mile out your experiment is useless and the money spend is down the drain. Also a drowned person floats for days(?) but the wax may have been travelling the sea for centuries.

Since you have a theory and a probable location why not make a preliminary mag search? Just my two €cents.

Good luck with you endeavour.

V
i dont think the wax was floating for centuries.
heres why
if it were at sea floating around for years like glass floats and such
it would not all was up in the same location every time.

there have been many pieces of wax wash up not just 1 or two.
as far as i know it is still being found today.

i think the wreck is close but not where tha wax is found.
just my oppinion.

i probably will never persue the wreck
this was just a thought
i dont think i could afford to finance something like that.
but if some treasure hunters wanted some help locating it i think i have a good ideah of where it may be at within 1 square mile
question is how much wreckage would still be visible to divers.
plus the currents here are extreamly strong and i have seen the currents here move boulders and throw them like chunks of foam.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Well there is no doubt where the wax ended up, and little doubt about where the ship wrecked. Over the years more than 30 tons of the wax have been found on and around Nehalem spit. There were also survivors of the wreck ... quite a few Indian legends to that effect, and a large number of the large blocks were found stacked up pretty neatly on the beach.

Furthermore, over the years, parts of the wreck have been exposed, and the locations documented. One person took a small silver oil jar out of the wreck: it is in the Pioneer Museum at Tillamook.

However, Nehalem is quite a few miles north of Tillamook, and none of the wax has been found around Tillamook itself, so I think you need to recalibrate your search area.

If you go to the Pioneer Museum, you can also buy a pamphlet written recently by Eb Gieseke, who has been studying the mystery of the Beeswax ship for more than forty years.

Also at the moment, there is an active project by a group who are trying to locate the wreck. I haven't looked at their site recently, so am not sure what progress they have made.

My guess is that parts of the wreck are on the spit, under twenty or thirty feet of sand, and the main body is somewhere just off shore, but I don't think there is much doubt that the wreck occurred at Nehalem spit. Part of the problem is that the wreck was most likely prior to the Tsunami of 1700, which might well have lifted it up and over the spit, and into Nehalem Bay, or on to the bay side of the spit.

However. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your success.

Mariner

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nehalem. TILLIOMOOK SAME GENERAL EREAH
I WAS TRYING NOT TO BE SO SPECIFIC

Capt Tom

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Philippines
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is no doubt as to where some timbers have been found at the end of the spit. I think the project group should identify the timbers from the known site. It seems pretty certain that the Beeswax is of Philippine origin and that a Manila Galleon was lost somewhere near. I have only seen the word teak used describing the timbers. The galleon is likely to be built with Philippine timber but not teak. It may resemble teak to the uninformed but they used other hardwoods having similar qualities. • read Philippine ships and shipbuilding. Sebastian de Pineda; [1619]. . It irks me somewhat to merely say the timbers are teak. They may look like teak (Tectona grandis) to the untrained eye but the Philippine built galleons were constructed of very hard hardwoods that had qualities better than teak. I would have thought XRF scans of the surface of some timbers could identify exactly the species of wood the pieces are. In this respect there is a photo of a man next to a large knee on the Beeswax website. This is a large sailing vessel and likely to be from a Manila galleon. Can this timber be identified ? There may be few timber experts that are familiar with woods used in 17 century Philippine shipbuilding. This knee will not be teak, but likely to be Molave (Vitex geniculata). The Santo Cristo is likely to have been built in Cavite, we know it was built in Philippines. Other planks and keel and keelson timbers are likely to be GIAM or BETIS wood as they are extremely hard and resisted toredo worm and termites. The table in the museum made from timbers from the ship … these need to be properly identified. This is not an easy task as there are still hardwoods today in various parts of the Philippines that are endemic and not properly identified.
I am still understanding the timbers used in the Manila ships but I have never come across teak mentioned in any building. It may have been used later say after 1800. They probably used teak when the supply dwindled of the better timbers, but I am confident that although people may see the timbers and say teak, that the wood is actually something else and not teak at all.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although teak does not rot easily, its not a very strong wood, and wouldnt be used for anything that needed strength.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Many of the ships were built in areas along the shore where there was a lot of standing wood and a decent launch area. They would set up forges and start cutting the wood down to build up a scaffold and then the frame. Then they would cover it over and waterproof it, but not finish it all the way. They would float or sail them down into the harbor to Cavite. Some were probably built in Cavite. A few where built in other ports, in Japan I think.

The San Augustin was almost entirely built of a dark, purplish brown teak. The sap in the wood ran out after building and coated it over to turn the ship white.

There is discussion in books about the use of lanang wood. It is similar to the "rubberwood" used in a lot of cheep home furniture originating from China and the Phillipines. If you have a set of honey-gold tv tray stands made of hardwood, they are probably made out of lanang.

During construction over a span of 250 years, they would log out areas that were preferable and have to switch locations and the type of woods used. I think mostly teak or oak for the first seventy years, but after that they were at least partially made of something else, like a composite.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread