Fisher Museums/Replicas = Closing?

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
I just read on another forum as well as a follow-up here that the Fisher Museum has been closed indefinately due to someone taking out the real treasures and replacing them with replica's. Which museum, Taffi's (from other site) or Key West (from other T-net thread), or both? Sounds like the Fed's did the closing, Who complained or "dropped a dime"?

I know that Taffi ususally closes for a month or so to do museum cleaning, books, exhibit work, rest, ect... so could it be that this is all that is going on, or is there more?

Replica's are not that uncommon in museums for various reasons, so is someone doing this on the sly or is this just another possible rumor and nothing is happening out of the ordinary?

What's the story?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold went threw the roof

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is no law against displaying replicas in a museum. It is a common practice. The Sebastian museum usually closes in Oct. for cleaning. Gold is now at $880/ounce!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The easiest thing to do is call the museum(s) and ask. I just spoke with the Sebastian museum and they are open for business.

Tom

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, I would confine this one to the "un-substantiated rumor" category until someone talks to them personally. I tried to get a hold of Bill Moore for info, but have been unsuccessful so far. Sebastian is open, and Key West didn't have anything on the answering machines or web sites about any closings. I do know that the artifacts in the Sebastian museum are real, not replicas. We do close for a month to clean the artifacts and change out exibits, but that has already happened this year in September. Tom or I will get in touch with Bill or Taffi soon and get the "real" story if there is one.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The McClarty museum has all fakes in it, apparently. I'd hate to see sebastian close..it's a really neat little facility. I certainly wouldn't begrudge them is some of the stuff was fake, but that intricate goldwork would be really hard to simulate.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both Mel Fisher's & the McClarty Museum have a combination of authentic and replica pieces displayed for various (and relatively obvious reasons)... past burglaries, current security measures, conservation issues, and last but certainly not least... if the state wants to have an item in "their" collection (or should I say "our" collection since it all "belongs to the people" according to the state), a replica may be made for our viewing pleasure... whatever...

Anyway, I think both museums have done a great job with their efforts to bring the history to everyone despite the need for replicas.

tom yerian

Jun 25, 2005
Fla Keys
Detector(s) used
Whites-Fishers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The artifacts that are in the museum belontg to the fisher's, and their foundation. They can give them to charity if they want. As what was said above, it is not uncommon to replace real artifacts with replicas for many reasons; security is one! If they replace a real artifact with a replicate, I believe they have to place a placard saying this is a replica....Yours in Treasure...Capt Tom Yerian.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions