Navigation charts, the blue line...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Depths.jpg
    Depths.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 420

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You never know where it really started, but in the old charts, they didnt have that, just soundings in various areas. I am sure they didnt have the zoning like today until hydrography(bottom mapping) was done fully. Most of the US charts today were done from hydrography from the late 1800s, including the Bahamas. In the old days-1600, 1700s early 1800s, they could only use a sounding lead to see how deep it was. Until they invented a ping sonar they had to rely on the lead to tell them how deep it was. So I am sure it didnt start way back in the day of galleons. Around 1940s they started doing cable drags-which is 2 big boats with a heavy cable between them, dragging the bottom. They would drag until it hit something. Then they would mark it. That is how many wrecks were found. Do you live on St Thomas? My brother used to live there. Nice place! Nice diving! Great history! Steve.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
by following the draft line and seeking obstuctions you may just find a wreck . but of course you know that already.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think Guyin BacK may be onto something. It is interesting to speculate that the 18-20 foot range was picked as the shallow water contour line because it harks back to the general draft of the galleons.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
wreckdiver1715 said:
Does the legand say that it is in Feet or fathoms?

All in Feet, and now I really don't get the rhyme or reason to the color contours.

Along the west coast of Florida, it's at the 18 foot line. I looked at your area, and, the chart is in feet, but with a different contour line depth.

Scanning around, I'm unable to see what the determining factor is as to where/why the contour color is placed.

Hummm.... maybe is has to do with the chart scale?

The 18 foot line does make it easy to visualize search areas/patterns.

Attachments

• 11474 in feet.jpg
    11474 in feet.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 235
  • Jupiter inlet.jpg
    Jupiter inlet.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Keys oceanside.jpg
    Keys oceanside.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Keys Gulf.jpg
    Keys Gulf.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 260

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the (3) fathom line or "shallow water line " as its known in the naval world --- 3 fathoms (or 18 feet) was the minimum safe water depth for most old sailing vessels --a fathom being 6 feet -- so 18 feet of water was the safe minimum depth -- in water under that depth a deeply loaded vessel would strike bottom and break up -- by following the 18 foot depth line contour and looking for "obstructions " you might just find a wreck or two ;) ---- Ivan

mnm

May 17, 2006
If the guys are discovering history within a certain vicinity , couldn't you assume everything else would be within the area less a coquina ridge or manifestation of a boulder or two dumped in place as a cover , sheesh , how far aspread could it really be , they are right on it , Blow !!!!!!! Some holes dag nabbit ........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions