Need help with NH / Maine Shipwrecks

timk

Jan 25, 2008
I met with author and legendary wreck diver Gary Gentile and Marcie B. last Friday night in Portsmouth, NH as they were travelling back to Boston from snow-shoeing in Maine. Gary is beginning the process of researching wrecks for his next book covering New Hampshire and Maine. He is looking for Names, Dates sunk (if known) and Locations (preferably gps coordinates or if a shore dive, directions to dive site and compass bearings to wreck) of wrecks that are currently, actively being dived. They are also looking for people with boats, both ocean going and trailerable for fresh / salt water sites to take them out to the wrecks. Finally, they are looking for divers to dive with them as the visit the wrecks. Since they contacted our dive club for assistance, I have volunteered to try and pass along whatever information you in the New Hampshire / Maine diving community are willing to share. If you have boat, or a friend with a boat, know of a wreck or 2, and are willing to take Gary, Marcie and a some other divers out this might be a great opportunity to meet and dive with a legend. He'll also sign his books for you if you have one! Please PM me and I'll respond as soon as possible and compile a list of wrecks and volunteers. Gary and Marcie are looking to be back up in this area in April-May timeframe to begin diving . Anything you care to provide will be appreciated. If you have any questions, please PM me. Fresh water lakes such as Winnepesaukee and the Weetamoo wreck in Lake Sunpaee are on their list so if you know the locations of fresh water wrecks, please contact me.

Also, Gary's latest book, Wrecks of Massachussetts North is scheduled for release in April. Should be interesting for those of us on the North side of the Cape. Covers North of the Cape to Stellwagon Bank to Cape Ann.

I saw a thread on here that mentioned wrecks around the Isle of Shoals. If lobsterman or garyk see this post please contact me. I would be very interested in talking to you about your help with Gary's research.

Thank you,

Timk
United Divers of New Hampshire

OP
OP
T

timk

Jan 25, 2008
I would also like to add that we are not treasure hunters. If you google Gary Gentile you'll see that his books are written for divers and they are more for historical purposes than anything else. Yes, he has salvaged china and other artifacts from the Andria Doria and other wrecks but that is not the main intent of his work in these books. Documentation and historical research is.

Thanks,

Timk

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Tim,

Camilla May Page * Schooner 1928 Off Portsmouth, NH 15'

Lady of the Lake * Passenger 1895 Lake Winnipesaukee, NH 30'

USS O-9 * Submarine 1941 Off Isles of Shoals, NH 430'

Sagunto Frigate 1813 Isles of Shoals, NH

Samuel J. Goucher Schooner 1911 Off Isles of Shoals, NH

Squalus, USS * Submarine 1939 Off Portsmouth, NH

William A. Machen Freighter 1942 Off Isles of Shoals, NH

and...
http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/ships/index.htm
Good luck :)

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006

Attachments

• NewEnglandchartforweb.jpg
    NewEnglandchartforweb.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 474

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
timk said:
I met with author and legendary wreck diver Gary Gentile and Marcie B. last Friday night in Portsmouth, NH as they were travelling back to Boston from snow-shoeing in Maine. Gary is beginning the process of researching wrecks for his next book covering New Hampshire and Maine. He is looking for Names, Dates sunk (if known) and Locations (preferably gps coordinates or if a shore dive, directions to dive site and compass bearings to wreck) of wrecks that are currently, actively being dived. They are also looking for people with boats, both ocean going and trailerable for fresh / salt water sites to take them out to the wrecks. Finally, they are looking for divers to dive with them as the visit the wrecks. Since they contacted our dive club for assistance, I have volunteered to try and pass along whatever information you in the New Hampshire / Maine diving community are willing to share. If you have boat, or a friend with a boat, know of a wreck or 2, and are willing to take Gary, Marcie and a some other divers out this might be a great opportunity to meet and dive with a legend. He'll also sign his books for you if you have one! Please PM me and I'll respond as soon as possible and compile a list of wrecks and volunteers. Gary and Marcie are looking to be back up in this area in April-May timeframe to begin diving . Anything you care to provide will be appreciated. If you have any questions, please PM me. Fresh water lakes such as Winnepesaukee and the Weetamoo wreck in Lake Sunpaee are on their list so if you know the locations of fresh water wrecks, please contact me.

Also, Gary's latest book, Wrecks of Massachussetts North is scheduled for release in April. Should be interesting for those of us on the North side of the Cape. Covers North of the Cape to Stellwagon Bank to Cape Ann.

I saw a thread on here that mentioned wrecks around the Isle of Shoals. If lobsterman or garyk see this post please contact me. I would be very interested in talking to you about your help with Gary's research.

Thank you,

Timk
United Divers of New Hampshire
Hi Tim: I just saw a nice big book at the library about an hour ago titled: Shipwrecks of Maine. This would be a good place to start. Best wishes....Looking forward to the Massachusetts book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread